Sony takes on Apple TV with game-playing PS Vita TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sony on Monday announced a new addition to its PlayStation Vita ecosystem in a surprising new form factor: a game-playing set-top box for televisions that will take on Apple's own Apple TV device.

The new PS Vita TV is a diminutive device ? measuring just 6-by-10 cm ? that packs in the hardware from Sony's PS Vita portable console. That hardware will allow the console to play video game selections from the both the original PlayStation and the PlayStation Portable, as well as select titles from the PlayStation Vita.

In all, more than 100 PS Vita games, over 600 PSP games, and more than 600 PlayStation games can be played on Sony's new device. It will also be able to stream content from the forthcoming PlayStation 4 console if the television the console is regularly attached to is in use.

In a move that will bring Sony into competition with Apple in the set-top segment, the PS Vita TV will also have access to a range of video services. Many of those will be Japan-specific, including DMM.com, Tsutaya TV, and NicoNico Douga, but it will also connect to Hulu and Sony's PlayStation Store, which itself has a wide range of video offerings available.

Sony will also compete with the Apple TV on price. The PS Vita TV will retail for roughly $95 for a base version, with another bundle retailing for about $143 with a DualShock 3 controller and 8GB memory card included.

The new device could mark the first significant competition Apple has faced in the media streaming devices market. Apple TV grabbed 56 percent of that market in 2012, and other devices from Samsung and assorted competitors have failed to gain traction the way Apple's set-top box has.

Now, though, an established tech giant is stepping into the segment with a product with wide name recognition and a deep library of game and media titles to distribute. Sony's set-top offering will launch on November 14 in Japan, but the company has not yet revealed any plans for wider release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    I don't even consider Sony products anymore...
  • Reply 2 of 67
    If Apple opens up the next Apple TV to third party Apps it'll be game over fir this or any other set top box.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I don't even consider Sony products anymore...

Like I keep telling the android fanbois - *YOU* are not the target market.

• Reply 4 of 67

It will all depend on how much the content is.  The problem with Sony's PS Vita, Nintendo's DS, etc. is that the titles are so much more expensive than iOS titles, and really aren't much better if at all.

Sony has some great content and previous games.  If they release some of their old titles and newer PS Vita titles for between $0.99 - $4.99, then I can see this working, but if they continue to try and milk their titles for $9.99 to $29.99 for a game, then good luck, as soon as Apple TV is open to apps, then why would I bother (as long as Apple TV apps stay in the same price range as their other iOS device counterparts).

• Reply 5 of 67
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Nice try, Sony. I don't recall my last purchase of Sony devices in my house. It's probably 15 years ago. 

Apple has not done much to their Apple TV, but if they refresh it this time to have full iOS installed and more storage space like 16GB or 32GB, the competition is really much over. I absolutely love to play iOS games on TV instead of airplay it. I bet many do too. Apple can do a lot with Apple TV since it's no longer a "hobby" product, but a true "should have" one in iOS ecosystem. I don't know why they just ignore it. Get full iOS 7 in Apple TV and let consumers go wild with it, Apple.

• Reply 6 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wlmwallace wrote: »
    It will all depend on how much the content is.  The problem with Sony's PS Vita, Nintendo's DS, etc. is that the titles are so much more expensive than iOS titles, and really aren't much better if at all.

Sony has some great content and previous games.  If they release some of their old titles and newer PS Vita titles for between $0.99 - $4.99, then I can see this working, but if they continue to try and milk their titles for $9.99 to $29.99 for a game, then good luck, as soon as Apple TV is open to apps, then why would I bother (as long as Apple TV apps stay in the same price range as their other iOS device counterparts).

The $. 99 price point is just a facade. Most games don't allow one to do much without one spending more money on in app purchases.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The $. 99 price point is just a facade. Most games don't allow one to do much without one spending more money on in app purchases.

Nor should they (if they have value.)

• Reply 8 of 67

In their fall to the ground after having been stabbed, Sony has decided to shoot themselves in the arm.

This cannot play the entire Vita library, whereas the 2DS can play all 3DS games. Good luck selling it.

• Reply 9 of 67
    It's a big wall. Let's see what sticks.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Apple TV with the new controllers for ios7 = big win.

I'll wait to see what Apple does with Apple TV, seriously where the hell is the App Store for it?

If apple doesn't make a serious effort soon I could see myself getting one of these.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gqb wrote: »
    Nor should they (if they have value.)

Why not? Angry Birds lets one play the entire game without needing to buy anything additional. It's quite annoying having to start a game like Temple Run from the beginning every single time.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    I don't particularly care if Apple TV gets an AppStore or not. I use it more for mirroring than anything else. What I want are physical controllers for iOS games. This way I can play games either on my TV (through ATV) or while on the go. Though i don't want to have to always use a controller. I have no desire to have game Apps on my Apple TV. For one, the size of a good game is very large - 1GB minimum. This means the Apple TV would need more memory creating more SKU'S for a product that really doesn't sell in high numbers. Would anyone pay $50 more for a 16GB ATV? How about $250 for a 32GB ATV? Needless to say I don't think this will ever happen.

If you think gaming will sync using iCloud think about who uses the TV in your house. In my house it's more than 1 person. Does this mean the ATV needs user accounts?

Another thoguht - I have an Apple TV on every TV in my house. I can walk into any room and steam music, videos, movies, listen to Apple radio, or mirror an iOS game (or Mac). If ATV had an AppStore I would only be able to play on that 1 TV.

I'm sure there are great reasons for ATV apps but gaming is not one of them.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Sony and MS are both desperately trying to expand their game consoles into full blown media ecosystems to rival Apple's. but except for their die-hard fans who wants to live inside their small and expensive "walled gardens"? Apple's is bigger, better, and - as a matter of fact - less expensive.

while on the other hand, with iOS 7 Apple is expanding its ecosystem to include game controllers for Apple TV via AirPlay (at least). who do you think is going to come out ahead?

• Reply 14 of 67
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

What cracks me up and makes me buy even more Apple stock is all these "process" companies who invariably sell theirr latest gizmo and tick off various features it has thinking that is all they have to do to make it a best seller. They just don't get it , they simply do not understanmd that content/ quality is the name of the game now. Content is not in their DNA

Let me explain: I lie propped up in bed at home, watching an interview given to Steve Jobs, a lost recording from 1995. It “flickered” on my iPad, showing a younger Jobs just before he was to go back to Apple and start on a 15 year restoration and blossoming of Apple into the corporation it is today. I listening and watched his face and especially his eyes explains the whole ethos of Apple, You probably understand to some extent what he is talking about , But the next morning I woke up in a strange yet tranquil mood. As I sit here at my office desk, looking at the series of tasks and goals I have on my plate, I still can't get him out of my head. There is one point where in one of his answers about people , he explains there are several kinds of people in this world,There are those who “get it” , who know how to design, implement and program. he specifically used the idea that in life the difference between something in a product that does it ‘Okay” and another similar product that does it “great” is at most maybe at most in the order of 2:1, and usually something like 1.2 to 1 or 1.1 to 1. He used examples like a car, or a radio where the basic model will provide what we need and the great model will only really be 10-15 percent better and 'all we can achieve. And that our whole culture works operated off this fact. He then went on to say that with computers its different and that the ratio is something like 50:1, I realized right there he had something. I knew he was right I don't know why. I just know. After that illumination dropped Steve went on to say that when hiring people to work at Apple he wanted mainly people who were the same way. Explaining he said There are people who simply don’t know what they are doing.

DON'T know WHAT they ARE DOING

PEOPLE WHO DO, ARE LIKE THIS AND THAT

PEOPLE WHO DO, ARE HARD TO MANAGE

PEOPLE WHO DO, ARE THE ONES NEEDED TO CREATE GREAT COMPUTERS

HE ALSO SAID, THE B’s AND Unders follow process not the content!

What I think he means by that is , Content is the quality so to speak of the widget, does it look great, is it cool, does it inspire. Essentially: Does it do the thing it was designed to do really really well? I think he means the “A” types look at the content first and decide if it worth doing (Content).  Then they look at the process and replicate it (process), Companies like Sony do process first and fail

• Reply 15 of 67
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In their fall to the ground after having been stabbed, Sony has decided to shoot themselves in the arm.

This cannot play the entire Vita library, whereas the 2DS can play all 3DS games. Good luck selling it.

Nintendo is going down before Sony. 

http://www.asymco.com/2013/09/09/game-over/

• Reply 16 of 67
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    This is almost exactly what Nintendo should have followed up the Wii with. Low cost, download only software, App Store efficiency. Nintendo has the first party software to give it value. No one wanted underpowered and expensive Wii U with a low-quality second screen. It's a shame their 3DS is a low-resolution, multi-screen hot mess too. If it was a HD console like the vita it would be doing phenomenally better.
  • Reply 17 of 67

What wasn't mentioned was its ability to play games on the PS4. The ability to play PS4 games on a different TV in. Different room would be a huge advantage at that price point.
  • Reply 18 of 67

I am bearish on this too.

The problem with Vita TV is that it can't survive competing along side the PS3/PS4. Xbox One is Microsoft's sole living TV solution. AppleTV is Apple's sole set top box. Vita TV is not. If Sony starts confusing consumers with PS4 + PS Vita TV as solutions for video content delivery, they'll weaken both platforms. This will not solve the Vita's problems. Sony needs to decide what market it will own and build the best solution for it: if Vita is meant for "hardcore gamers who want to play Splinter Cell on a portable console," then they have that market all to themselves, unless Microsoft decides to create a portable Xbox. That market isn't anywhere bear the size of the market for smartphones, so Sony will have to accept smaller sales.

If I wanted a console connected to my TV, I'd rather get a PS4 or connect and play PS Vita to my TV; I don't want a Vita console.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

It's a nice looking little box that does quite a lot of cool things, as both a companion device and a standalone.  Interesting move.  And they've got the controller sorted for gaming, which is where the question mark hangs over Apple.

Sony seem like the player to bet on in the next console wars, and this strengthens their offering, if they market it right.  Good to see, I like Sony.

• Reply 20 of 67
    saarek wrote: »
    Apple TV with the new controllers for ios7 = big win.

I'll wait to see what Apple does with Apple TV, seriously where the hell is the App Store for it?

If apple doesn't make a serious effort soon I could see myself getting one of these.

Not sure why this expectation exists. Apple never promised that. Oddly, nobody expects Chromecast to have an App Store.