Best Buy trade-in offer to take any working smartphone for at least $100 toward iPhone 5s, 5c

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Electronics retailer Best Buy appears on the verge of kicking off another trade-in program aimed at getting iPhone 5s and 5c customers through its doors, this time offering a minimum of $100 toward the purchase of one of Apple's two new phones in exchange for any working smartphone.

Best Buy iPhone 5c offer

The new trade-in offer will launch on Friday, October 11, for customers interested in the iPhone 5c, according to an apparent internal document obtained by TechnoBuffalo. Those interested in the iPhone 5s can take advantage of the option beginning October 13. For both phones, the promotion will run through October 19.

According to the document, the trade-in program will see Best Buy offering a gift card for at least $100 in exchange for any working smartphone. That gift card must be used toward the purchase of an iPhone 5c or an iPhone 5s with a two-year contract on a supported carrier.

This new trade-in offer reportedly can not be combined with Best Buy's existing iPhone 5c offer. That offer makes the 5c available for $49 with a $50 Best Buy gift card.

Devices eligible for trade-in must power on, and devices that are water damaged or that have cracked screens are not eligible for the program. Customers bringing in smartphones in their original packaging or with their original accessories may also see their trade-in values increase.

Interested customers may also want to call ahead to their local Best Buy location, as the document notes that the offer may not be valid at all locations.

This apparent new program would be the latest in a string of iPhone-centric deals the electronics retailer has offered. Current iPhone owners looking to upgrade to one of Apple's newer models can take advantage of a wealth of options to trade-in their iPhones. AppleInsider also hosts an iPhone trade-in guide with current cash payout prices for each iPhone (and iPad) model to help readers get the most out of their existing devices, and help offset the cost of new ones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26

iPhones are the hottest thing going! It's exactly what I would do....except it would be from the trunk of my car, I guess! :)

• Reply 2 of 26
    Not cool. Why is Best Buy practically giving away their inventory?? What don't I know??
  • Reply 3 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Not cool. Why is Best Buy practically giving away their inventory?? What don't I know??

The company won’t see 2020.

• Reply 4 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Would they take my POS Android that hasn't been used in two years?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    If you give them $100 they'll take your Android phone .
  • Reply 6 of 26

Last week I took my iPhone 4S 64GB (great shape) to an Apple store and they offered me $208 for exchange to a 5s. 

I thought it was very reasonable.  Rep said, old iPhones value change everyday.

• Reply 7 of 26
    Any smartphone, so the $50 (when bought off contract) android phones count?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The company won’t see 2020.

See clear? Or see the year? I guess both.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    If this is anything like their iPhone 5 promo they ran a week before the 5s/5c came out then "any smartphone" means any smartphone that's "in their system" and I think it has to have some sort of value, i.e. can't be $0.00 (I'm not positive about that part though.) The previous iPhone 5 promo was trade in any smartphone for a minimum $100 gift card towards a iPhone 5, which is $99, so "free," but I had to pay tax on the full retail price. I traded in a Motorola Droid 2 for it, which came out in 2010, and their system valued it at $5 but during the promo it added a additional $95. You can see if your old smartphone is in their system by checking this link,

http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculator.cfm?category=mobile-phones

If it's there you'll get a minimum of $100 regardless of what the site currently says.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bencamx wrote: »
    Last week I took my iPhone 4S 64GB (great shape) to an Apple store and they offered me $208 for exchange to a 5s. 

For anyone who hasn't jumped in, this is not a great deal. For example http://www.cashforiphones.com is offering up to $334 for that phone.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    iPhones are the hottest thing going! It's exactly what I would do....except it would be from the trunk of my car, I guess! :)

Then why the need for all the special offers?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bencamx View Post

For anyone who hasn't jumped in, this is not a great deal. For example http://www.cashforiphones.com is offering up to $334 for that phone.

Those guys are awesome. My wife's iPhone 4 8GB is getting traded in today for a 4s (she just doesn't want a 5/5s/5c) but this will get me 2 years on AppleCare+ (which runs out on the iPhone 4 in a day or two) plus $50 to spare (to help recover from my 5s 64GB which arrived yesterday). And I didn't think it would be worth anything more than as an iPod -- Apple is the best investment all around. Apple tax my ass!

• Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

iPhones are the hottest thing going! It's exactly what I would do....except it would be from the trunk of my car, I guess! image

I suspect it has a lot more to do with getting people to buy from BestBuy instead of one of the other places they can get it (e.g., Apple store, all the carriers).

• Reply 14 of 26
    dasanman69 wrote: »

It happens all the time. Great deals appear both when items aren't selling or when items are selling well. In the latter case, it's more a matter of getting you to buy from Best Buy rather than somewhere else - plus, it's a way of getting traffic into the store.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    jragosta wrote: »
    It happens all the time. Great deals appear both when items aren't selling or when items are selling well. In the latter case, it's more a matter of getting you to buy from Best Buy rather than somewhere else - plus, it's a way of getting traffic into the store.

Why just iPhones? I figure they want to also clear out stock of other phones. Is business that bad at Best Buy that they can't even sell iPhones without a promo?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Why just iPhones? I figure they want to also clear out stock of other phones. Is business that bad at Best Buy that they can't even sell iPhones without a promo?

Or perhaps it's simply the fact that other phones don't draw people into the store so there's no point in discounting them.

What part of 'marketing' do you not understand? Or, maybe to make it simpler for you, look up 'loss leader'.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Accessories and competition.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    So you sign away two years of your life to a greedy phone carrier in exchange for $100.

Sounds reasonable to them especially after they've drained you for about $2500.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    corvus wrote: »
    So you sign away two years of your life to a greedy phone carrier in exchange for $100.

You don't have to sign anything. It's real simple, just don't get a phone.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    corvus wrote: »

No problem. You're free to buy the phone outright and use a prepaid service.

Choice is good, right?