Rumor: Apple taps Quanta to build bigger iPad, iWatch in 2014

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Taiwan-based Quanta Computer will produce both a jumbo-sized iPad and a wearable "iWatch" for Apple in 2014, according to the latest rumors out of the Far East supply chain.

iPad Air
The iPad Air is currently Apple's largest tablet with a 9.7-inch display.

The latest rumors on Apple's future products were shared on Monday by DigiTimes, which claims that Apple will launch an iPad with a larger display in the second half of 2014. Rumors of a larger iPad, with a display size around 12.9 inches, have picked up steam in recent weeks, though claims of the launch window for such a device have varied throughout 2014.

As for the so-called "iWatch," Monday's report suggests that device will come to market sooner. Supply chain sources reportedly believe that Apple plans to launch the device in the second quarter of calendar 2014.

Pilot production of the "iWatch" is already underway, the report claims. But Apple is said to have been hurt by low yields of the product, which reportedly led for mass production of the watch to be delayed until the second quarter.

Quanta is expected to be a key supply chain parter for both the "iWatch" and bigger iPad, According to DigiTimes, the company has already landed orders for the bigger iPad, while it is currently competing with Inventec and Foxconn for "iWatch" orders.

Wearable Device
AppleInsider was first to discover an Apple patent filing describing a watch design with flexible display.

Production of the 12.9-inch iPad is expected to be particularly difficult, the report claim. Suppliers such as Quanta face issues with industrial design and assembly, and manufacturing is expected to be further set back by the fact that Apple's larger screen size is not the "mainstream specification." As a result, order volumes of the new iPad model are expected by supply chain sources to be limited.

The "iWatch" is rumored to carry a wide array of biometric sensors, making the device focused on fitness and health. Respected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said he expects the "iWatch" to hit shelves in the second half of 2014.

As for a 12.9-inch iPad, some have taken to calling such a device an "iPad Pro," which would act as a counterpart to the Mac product naming schemes already seen with the iPad mini (Mac mini) and iPad Air (MacBook Air). Such a screen size would put it on par with Apple's 13.3-inch MacBook Pro, and would also be larger than the screen on Apple's 11.6-inch MacBook Air.

The current iPad Air features a 9.7-inch display -- the same size the full-size iPad had sported since the first-generation model. Both models of the iPad mini have featured a 7.9-inch display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Digitimes = yawn. I want to know when the iPen and/or iBelt comes out.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jungmark wrote: »

People just don't understand DigiTimes, you need to actually read the publication from time to time. As for iPen that will come along with iRobot, after all you need a pen to put them in!???????????????? as for iBelt that is all the old USB cables for the old style iOS connectors.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You know I was going to upgrade my iPad sometime early in 2014 but the idea of a larger iPad has me intrigued. I can see the possibilities that such a device would offer. I'd have to handle it first, it may be too big for comfort.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

2048 x 1536 on a 12.9" display = 198 ppi

Compared to the iPad Air at 263 ppi, which just barely cuts it for a "Retina" display.

So what's it gonna be? Is Apple going to accept this very low ppi for its iPad Pro? Or can they pull out of the wood work:

4096 x 3072 on a 12.9" display = 397 ppi

I highly doubt the latter is even possible for 2014. Even with more space for more battery and a next-gen powerful chip, how can they possibly be almost ready to make this device? Seems impossible.

These are the only two options for maintaining the iPad experience, without creating something entirely new that won't run existing Apps (not happening).

• Reply 5 of 64
    Can the touch technology in the latest iPad handle more than 5 fingers? If it was 42" like my TV, how would it stop 2 people trying to interact with it at the same time?
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Please preface all DigiTimes stories with "BS ALERT".
  • Reply 7 of 64
    jungmark wrote: »

Right after the iShoes and iSpork arrive.
  • Reply 8 of 64

2014 -  Seems like Year of Bigger Screen products. Bigger iPads, Bigger iPhones w iWatch, Big Screen TVs (iTV)!

• Reply 9 of 64
    Apple doesn't talk about sources for new products, nor let them talk.

This is to pump up Quanta by association and likely false.
  • Reply 10 of 64

It'd be interesting to see an iPad Mini / Air / Pro lineup that mirrors the Mac / Macbook lineup.

• Reply 11 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Can the touch technology in the latest iPad handle more than 5 fingers? If it was 42" like my TV, how would it stop 2 people trying to interact with it at the same time?

Yes.  IIRC it can take 8 independent contacts, someone made a test app to work it out.

EDIT. I remembered wrong, it's actually 11 contacts... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za8V2IiGCfY

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Compared to the iPad Air at 263 ppi, which just barely cuts it for a "Retina" display.

So what's it gonna be? Is Apple going to accept this very low ppi for its iPad Pro? Or can they pull out of the wood work:

I highly doubt the latter is even possible for 2014. Even with more space for more battery and a next-gen powerful chip, how can they possibly be almost ready to make this device? Seems impossible.

These are the only two options for maintaining the iPad experience, without creating something entirely new that won't run existing Apps (not happening).

The PPI is certainly possible, other phones have it.  Whether it's possible to produce it in volume with decent yield on a ~13" display... well some people didn't think Apple would be able to do it for the 10" iPad, so doubt at your own risk.

• Reply 12 of 64
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pmz wrote: »

So this won't scale apps-wise?

MacBook Pro with Retina Display 13": 227 ppi./ 2560×1600?

Real question, based on not knowing anything. Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    I like how AppleInsider slaps their watermark on an image found in Apple's patent filing. I guess because they were the "first to discover" the image on a public patent database?
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Hurry up already ! I am keeping my shillings in anticipation of an iPad Pro. I think I actually thought it into existence - I've been craving a bigger iPad since my iPad 1. I am a designer, and I seriously need a bigger screen !!
  • Reply 15 of 64
    2014 -  Seems like Year of Bigger Screen products. Bigger iPads, Bigger iPhones w iWatch, Big Screen TVs (iTV)!

The rumor mill worked very hard to fabricate this fantasy. Enjoy it!
  • Reply 16 of 64
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I reckon the screen (if this happens of course) will be a 12.8 inch display with a screen res multiple of 9 (a 9 pixel grid for every one of the original iPad)  like the current iPad Retina display has a 4 pixel grid for every one of the original iPad, or 3072 x 2304 for a resolution of just over 7MP's. That's technologically possible for 2014 and would provide an exact 300 ppi screen density, or true Retina. The rumours elsewhere I've read also mention that the screen would have near if not full Ultra HD resolution (Ultra HD is 8.3MP's) so this makes sense.

• Reply 17 of 64

I will refrain myself from discussing with people that have some twisted understanding of screen resolution/density. Some people just don't seem to understand how it works and those discussions always end up with circular logic arguments.

• Reply 18 of 64
    I like how AppleInsider slaps their watermark on an image found in Apple's patent filing. I guess because they were the "first to discover" the image on a public patent database?

I'm surprised AI hasn't felt Apple's legal wrath yet.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    pmz wrote: »

That would be over 17 inches away from the eyes to be considered Retina by Apple's stated standards, which I think is too far away.

As an aside, I question if a 13 inch-ish tablet wouldn't be better suited as going from 4:3 to 16:10 or 16:9. At 7.85" and 9.7" a 4:3 aspect ratio is ideal but over 12" I'm not so sure, but to change that with iOS offers additional complications, even they though they did move from a 3:2 to 16:9 aspect ratio with the iPhone.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Why does DigiTimes think it's for an iPad? If the screen is 12.9" it could also be for a Samsung phone, no?