Who's afraid of the Apple Watch?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 341
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    How long before it will be able to detect serious medical emergencies like heart attack, stroke, epileptic seizure, and contact local emergency services.

How long before it books a visit to your doctor because your vital signs indicate a checkup is needed.

Quite awhile. There are many steps that need to be put in place before all that can happen. We'll first see these things measured as very gentle warnings to you, not as absolute fact. You'll need many years of success with that before something can automatically call EMS for you.

Then you mention how it could automatically book a visit with your doctor. This is even more complex because you're talking about computer systems talking with other, or your digital personal assistant talking with your doctor's receptionist on its own without you having to do anything. How would it even know your availability? I put a lot on my calendar, but not everything. I can't even imagine in my lifetime that I (or another human being) won't have to call the doctor in order schedule an appointment.
    When they nail blood pressure, who won't wear one.
  • Reply 122 of 341
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Hmmmm. I have a mic-70s Omega Speed master. Not an every dy watch. That goes to my Tag. Next mont, the space grey 42 will be my everyday watch.
  • Reply 123 of 341
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    I love the way DED so easily winds up all the trolls and assorted android morons. Of course it's obvious why because he is right! So simple really . They hate the light of truth shining on their evil, distortions and lies. Of course the reason why Apple is so hated by nerds is simply because apple broke the golden rule of being a nerd which is: thou shalt not make a computer easy and simple to use . Ever since Apple came out with its operating system nerds hated it simplicity and ease of use. You see having unintuitive and buggy hard to use systems is what keeps them employed, the more quickly cheap and defective hardware and software needs to be replaced and the more complicated it is, keeps these trolls, techies and assorted blowhards employed. The oft quoted mantra that apple tech is a toy comes from this. They trot out the idea that real work can not be done on a toy of course , the real truth though ironically is that it the pc is, and android that are toys , because they need to be tinkered with and continually fixed all the time, the security on windows and android is a joke They live to tinker with their toys and it comes from the stage a pubescent teenager goes thru where anything hi tech ( no girls allowed) the more nerdy and superior they feel. Like most professions, the more mysterious and lofty they can make their cult the better for them. The real fact is that apple computers and subsequent devices are cheaper over the long haul, they last longer don't break as often and are more reliable. They hate this and want apple to fail. They try to convince the public that anything non apple is cheaper and more configurable so they can continue this total lie. The simple fact is that apple does everything better and cheaper. Techies don't understand how apple does it. It's undermining their belief systems and is very disturbing to them . Now in 2015 the obviously better iOS is so apparent even a demented bee knows it. Keep the good work up DED ! This latest disparaging of apple watch is the latest in a sequence of misinformation. Yes they are worried it's going to be impossible to copy indeed. They are waging this war as damage control, because otherwise they fear apple dominating yet another industry and health data is really huge too. Apple is putting them even more in the rear view mirror and accelerating away at a rapid pace. The only thing that can stop apple now are Governments. Pebble is a total joke a mere speed bump to drive right over. Time to buy some puts on swatch too. swatch stock has fallen from 32 to 22 in one year. That tells us all we need to know
  • Reply 124 of 341
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

When computers changed from primarily being something that sat on your desk to primarily something you carried around, suddenly it became important how they looked, and that's when Apple started to smash the competition. Because people have to use computers in the modern world, they have no choice, but they don't want to look geeky by carrying an octo-core RAID dual GPU laptop.

So the Watch... the question to me is, does it let you hide your phone away in your bag, and therefore make you look less geeky (in which case it will succeed) or does it say to people that you are now carrying 2 electronic devices instead of 1, and therefore you are more geeky?

• Reply 125 of 341
    ascii wrote: »
    When computers changed from primarily being something that sat on your desk to primarily something you carried around, suddenly it became important how they looked, and that's when Apple started to smash the competition. Because people have to use computers in the modern world, they have no choice, but they don't want to look geeky by carrying an octo-core RAID dual GPU laptop.

So the Watch... the question to me is, does it let you hide your phone away in your bag, and therefore make you look less geeky (in which case it will succeed) or does it say to people that you are now carrying 2 electronic devices instead of 1, and therefore you are more geeky?

And that is of course the reason all the nerds hate the watch because it doesn't validate their obsession with looking like a nerd. It's illogical to take the view that because a nerd won't buy a watch, it will fail because nerds are a very small subset of the market. All those other watches failed simply because they look like nerd watches! Duh , the majority of consumers don't want to look like a nerd and is why the apple watch will succeed because it looks stylish.
  • Reply 126 of 341

That's an interesting hypothesis, and I agree. As these devices do become more personal there is a natural tendency for them to become either more appealing to look at and/or more personalized (as is the case with the after-market case options or the after-market dumb phone shell market before the iPhone came along), depending on your tilt.

That's an interesting question. I would say it depends on societal changes. Before the iPhone you were either a geek with a PDA or an asshole business person. Apple made it cool and commonplace for even children and retirees to own.
  • Reply 127 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pistis View Post

And that is of course the reason all the nerds hate the watch because it doesn't validate their obsession with looking like a nerd.

I don't think that's necessarily the case, when people say they don't want it because it doesn't have enough functionality, there's no reason not to take them at their word.

• Reply 128 of 341
    Does anyone else think there's not really much about the Apple Watch in this article, it's mainly about the phones?
    not really it's simply a bigger picture description illustrating the point that the watch will succeed.
  • Reply 129 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That's an interesting question. I would say it depends on society changes to view this new tech. Before the iPhone you were either a geek with a PDA or an asshole business person. Apple made it cool and commonplace for even children and retirees to own.

They are definitely going all-out to make it cool, e.g. the ads in modelling/style magazines instead of tech magazines.

One can imagine in 10 years time, miniaturization will be such that you will have a little pin that you clip to your collar, or shirt, that has all the functionality of today's Watch. So all Apple's future computers will be jewellery in one form or another. So the display cases they are putting in for the Watch, and the safes, and the hiring of Angela Ahrendts is just the beginning. So the success of this product is super important.

• Reply 130 of 341
    I don't think that's necessarily the case, when people say they don't want it because it doesn't have enough functionality, there's no reason not to take them at their word.

Well I see it diffently, it's the nerds following the "it's a toy, mentality" they simply do not have the vision to see its uses and they all have an agenda to discredit any thing apple. They are after all idiots
  • Reply 131 of 341

I will have to agree with the author of the column. April is certainly up to something with Apple Watch. Yes, it is version 1.0 and I am sure it is just going to get better and it is going to get better. Yes, they are not the first out of the gate, but they are certainly much different the ones that came before them, such as Samsung, LG, Sony, Pebble, Motorola, etc. Though I don't think I had seen the amount of press (negative and positive) other devices had received as much as this one. I am seeing Groupon deals for Samsung smart watches already. 

Yes, all watch makers are worried with Apple Watch. Even the luxury watch makers are afraid. I have seen ad of Cartier in glossy mags, but today I saw a TV ad from them on CNN - I don't ever remember seeing one of their on TV. They are afraid that their clients are going to reach out for that $17,000 Apple, especially is it many time functional than their watch. I think Apple is going to quickly sell off on those limited edition watch. The haptic functionality of the watch is the big deal already. Their iPhone can be in the clutches or coat jacket, an in crowded and noisy parties/events they will feel the notification or their wrist.

Finally, I think Apple Watch has added life to watches. People might start wearing one again. Actually, I think the competitors to accept Apple Watch, because it might breath some life to the weak sale of their products too.

• Reply 132 of 341
    One can imagine in 10 years time, miniaturization will be such that you will have a little pin that you clip to your collar, or shirt, that has all the functionality of today's Watch. So all Apple's future computers will be jewellery in one form or another. So the display cases they are putting in for the Watch, and the safes, and the hiring of Angela Ahrendts is just the beginning. So the success of this product is super important.

In a decade I'd hope we're reaching a point where something can be implanted under the skin and/or taken as a pill each day. That could then work with something worn on the body or a smartphone that will pull data from these devices periodically.
  • Reply 133 of 341
    solipsismy wrote: »
    H
    In a decade I'd hope we're reaching a point where something can be implanted under the skin and/or taken as a pill each day. That could then work with something worn on the body or a smartphone that will pull data from these devices periodically.

I hope not because governments will enforce it
  • Reply 134 of 341
    pistis wrote: »
    I hope not because governments will enforce it

1) :sigh: You watch too many movies.

2) Why exactly do you think they enforce glucose, heart rate, and other health tracking when they can't even properly enforce common vaccinations? Why would you care?

3) Are you thinking they will securely sneak GPS trackers in subnormal and oral health devices? Don't you think it would be easily found out if they did? Are you not aware your internet connected devices can be used to track you?
  • Reply 135 of 341
    Anyone slamming the Watch over its $10K price is trolling. You can also configure a $9700 Mac Pro from Apple, but nobody slams it a $9700 computer.
  • Reply 136 of 341
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Nor permission, nor opinion, I'd say...
  • Reply 137 of 341
    solipsismy wrote: »

God forbid.
  • Reply 138 of 341
    tj parker wrote: »
    "Amazon's led by a Jobs wannabee who's realizing that, in fact, he is not Steve Jobs."

As we've recently learned, nor is Tim Cook.

Tim never pretended to be Steve Jobs.

satchmo wrote: »
    Why you feel Google's existence would be any longer or shorter than Apple's?
    They seem to be doing fine financially. 

Microsoft also does fine financially while being utterly irrelevant outside of a few tech idiot circles. 3M does well financially but they're not the topic of conversation most would choose.

I'm glad you brought up 3M because it is a great example of a company not afraid of going off into different markets like Apple. 3M's first product was FLYPAPER. Imagine where they'd be today if they'd have not ventured further afield. The flypaper made them more interested in adhesives, and in some ways, adhesives are a part of much of what they do; from Scotch tape to post-it Notes. Apple has shown an affinity for finding niches around their core competentcies and some, like the phone and watch seem to scare/alarm/bother some of the analysts sitting on the sidelines like crows, making a lot of noise, but lack the business abilities to do what they are so inclined to tell others they should do.
  • Reply 139 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I thought the iPhone would be a winner, the iPad a winner but the watch is a complete joke, and will rightly be ridiculed off the wrist of the wearer unless it literally is truly helping them with some kind of medical condition, and even then most people will question why they needed to splash out so much on the watch. That money would in most cases be much better spent giving it to a research medical charity. I hope Apple donates all the profits of this excessive device to those who really need medical care. To those that flash that ugly glass from under their cuffs, you deserve nothing but pity.

Does nobody here understand the value of beauty? Certainly, i don't know you, but I know humans in general well enough to know that there are basically two groups when it comes to visual esthetics. Those who see and those who shake their heads. The same goes for music, tone-deafness is a real, scientifically proven thing, it would be interesting to do proper research on esthetic-blindness. I don't want to judge based on these factors, its an observation that i would like to see looked into.

In any case, the ?Watch is visually pleasing, its shapes cause feelings of comfort and relaxation in those who can actually appreciate it. And those are the people that will buy it and smile whenever they look at it. If you are incapable of appreciating it, you are welcome to not buy it.

As to the research investment: Apple did invest a lot into research through its research kit, this software is worth millions and Apple is making it open source and gives it away to any researcher looking to conduct studies. That alone is a contribution to science that is unheard of from any tech company ever. So by buying an Apple watch you are investing into medical research, by helping the company developing new standards and tools, to do so more intensely.

Your bitterness toward ?Watch wearers is unwarranted, but it gives an insight into your values and thinking. You are clearly unaware of the indirect contributions that happen anywhere but in the spotlight, but maybe you will read this and instead of hating me more, think again and reconsider.

• Reply 140 of 341
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by unknwntrr View Post

Does nobody here understand the value of beauty? Certainly, i don't know you, but I know humans in general well enough to know that there are basically two groups when it comes to visual esthetics. Those who see and those who shake their heads. The same goes for music, tone-deafness is a real, scientifically proven thing, it would be interesting to do proper research on esthetic-blindness. I don't want to judge based on these factors, its an observation that i would like to see looked into.

In any case, the ?Watch is visually pleasing, its shapes cause feelings of comfort and relaxation in those who can actually appreciate it. And those are the people that will buy it and smile whenever they look at it. If you are incapable of appreciating it, you are welcome to not buy it.

As to the research investment: Apple did invest a lot into research through its research kit, this software is worth millions and Apple is making it open source and gives it away to any researcher looking to conduct studies. That alone is a contribution to science that is unheard of from any tech company ever. So by buying an Apple watch you are investing into medical research, by helping the company developing new standards and tools, to do so more intensely.

Your bitterness toward ?Watch wearers is unwarranted, but it gives an insight into your values and thinking. You are clearly unaware of the indirect contributions that happen anywhere but in the spotlight, but maybe you will read this and instead of hating me more, think again and reconsider.

If you want real beauty buy a Tag Heur which has real craftmanship. This watch meaning the Apple is a complete waste of money.