Who's afraid of the Apple Watch?

Comments

• Reply 161 of 341
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I thought the iPhone would be a winner, the iPad a winner but the watch is a complete joke, and will rightly be ridiculed off the wrist of the wearer unless it literally is truly helping them with some kind of medical condition, and even then most people will question why they needed to splash out so much on the watch. That money would in most cases be much better spent giving it to a research medical charity. I hope Apple donates all the profits of this excessive device to those who really need medical care. To those that flash that ugly glass from under their cuffs, you deserve nothing but pity.

HuH? This makes no sense. $350 is expensive? Yeah its a little higher than android wear watches but not by much. and who are you to tell me what I can wear and what's useful for me?

Yes I want a smart watch, why? because along with keeping track of my fitness, I want to keep in touch with my wife.
    Yes, she has an iPhone. But if you have kids you realize that the iphone sits around the house somewhere out of reach most of the time, while your actually interacting with your kids and not staring at a screen. When I try to get ahold of her to relay important information 99% of the time it goes to voicemail. Apple Watch solves this problem. With a watch I can actually get in touch with my wife with minimal impact on her focus of our child. (Right now I have to use find my iphone to make to the phone play the annoying alarm signal, then she needs to drop everything to go and turn it off, does not make a happy wife) That alone is worth the price of two watches.

On top of that I go hiking, biking and kayaking allot. You know what a PIA it is to take out your phone to look up important information (like where you are and where you are going) in these situations? I cant count how many times my iPhone almost dropped the water while trying to look on the Gaia GPS topo app to find out where the heck I was. This goes for MT Biking to, I need something to tell me when to turn on unknown trails (Sure a map can do that, but I have to stop, take out the map, find out where I am, put the map back, get back on the bike and go (I always take a map with me as a backup)) I already decided I needed something on my wrist to help me with this last year. There are allot of wrist devices that can do this now but they are no where near as nice as the AppleWatch and are usually limited in what they can do. Android wear does not support iOS, but im glad I waited to see what the apple watch could do. Is it perfect? Hell no. I want GPS in the watch, I want 5+ day battery life. But I think its the best you can get right now for what I need it to do.

So pardon me if I want to wear something useful to me. I'll be sure to give you the middle finger when you laught at my "outrageous" $350 watch.
  • Reply 162 of 341
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlah

Bored with the Political Outsider threads, are you?  Trying to take your message mainstream?

Good luck with that.  :no: 

• Reply 163 of 341
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

Great article...DED NEVER disappoints!  Best use (and only use I know) of "Jim-Jonesed" in an article.

• Reply 164 of 341
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Quite awhile. There are many steps that need to be put in place before all that can happen. We'll first see these things measured as very gentle warnings to you, not as absolute fact. You'll need many years of success with that before something can automatically call EMS for you.

Then you mention how it could automatically book a visit with your doctor. This is even more complex because you're talking about computer systems talking with other, or your digital personal assistant talking with your doctor's receptionist on its own without you having to do anything. How would it even know your availability? I put a lot on my calendar, but not everything. I can't even imagine in my lifetime that I (or another human being) won't have to call the doctor in order schedule an appointment.

Dear Mr. Solipsism. Your medical professional suggests you schedule an appointment in the next 30 days, based on potential factors x, y, z. Checking Dr.'s schedule, we have the following times available. Please select from one of the following:

a) March 18, 2015 at 10:00 am
    b) March 23...
    c) April 4....
    d) none of the above are suitable
  • Reply 165 of 341
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ascii wrote: »
    So the Watch... the question to me is, does it let you hide your phone away in your bag, and therefore make you look less geeky (in which case it will succeed) or does it say to people that you are now carrying 2 electronic devices instead of 1, and therefore you are more geeky?
    The phone has already become an unwelcome intrusion into many aspects of our lives. But it does have one saving grace -- you can put it away.

The watch, you really can't. Its always there. Perhaps there will be a simple way to put the watch into "airplane" mode which will even turn off the display unless a physical button is pressed. This is one of the reasons why glancing at your watch while otherwise engaged, became a socially unacceptable ... Because it was a ubiquitous, yet an accepted and necessary device. But imagine you are in a darkened theater, and ?Watches all around you are lighting up? It happens with smartphones now in a theater, but still many put their phones in their pockets. Not so with the wrist.

And as long as it's always there, people are probably going to interact with it. You've heard people take calls during a movie? Now they just have to raise their wrist to their mouth and start talking. One saving grace, at least if the phone starts ringing they should be able to silence it faster. But the geeky part will come into play when the guy sitting in the restaurant is having a conversation on his watch, while he surfs the web on his phone. Phone on the table while using the watch. Or the guy who can't stop playing with his, having to charge it multiple times a day because of it. The guy who shows up at a party and asks if anybody has an ?Watch charger because he needs to charge his watch, will win geek of the year award. Imagine the guy sitting in a corner at a club or party scrolling through his watch near his face because the screen is so small ... Or trying to show people pictures of his family (the modern equivalent of wallet photos). But the worst will be when Apple finally introduces a camera ... and you know it's coming -- 'is that guy checking the time, or taking a picture of me?'

These are all worst case scenarios for sure, and it's way too early to know how this device will be accepted by others. I suspect initially it will have a major cool factor, no matter how people may feel about it -- its just plain cool in what it can do. But once all of your friends and colleagues, and strangers on a plane have seen all the amazing things your watch can do, it may become a bore to them, unless you keep it very much to yourself -- and that's when things turn geeky. We shall see.
  • Reply 166 of 341
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quite awhile. There are many steps that need to be put in place before all that can happen. We'll first see these things measured as very gentle warnings to you, not as absolute fact. You'll need many years of success with that before something can automatically call EMS for you.

Then you mention how it could automatically book a visit with your doctor. This is even more complex because you're talking about computer systems talking with other, or your digital personal assistant talking with your doctor's receptionist on its own without you having to do anything. How would it even know your availability? I put a lot on my calendar, but not everything. I can't even imagine in my lifetime that I (or another human being) won't have to call the doctor in order schedule an appointment.

I'm a co-founder of TimeTrade Systems, a company that develops internet-based appointment scheduling software.  In answer to your questions regarding scheduling a doctor's appointment, first, a doctor using today's TimeTrade scheduling system can carve out recurring time-slots dedicated to check-ups (for example, every Tuesday and Thursday from 10am - 12pm, 2pm-4pm) that get overlaid with his office's holiday calendar, appointments that consumer that time, etc, to present to patients a real-time availability calendar of his availability for check-ups.

Likewise, patients could have a simple bit of software on their iPhone that would allow them to carve out their own availability for various types of automatic appointment scheduling.  These availability periods could be constrained to specific activities, just as the doctor's can.  So you create a calendar of your own availability that says you are available for medical check-ups during the same month in each year when you know you are somewhat less busy than usual, and maybe also indicate that Mondays and Tuesdays are the preferred weekdays.  This availability then overlays with all of your own appointments and commitments to reduce that availability accordingly.

Then its a simple matter of another app that monitors your personal health metrics determining that you are due a check-up, and accessing and overlaying your availability with your doctor's availability for the check-up activity.  It's really not that complicated.  Since the doctor's calendar is setup to accept appointments within the window he has made available for check-ups, there's no negotiation required on his end, and so a simple notification/prompt to you to accept one of several software-selected appointment dates/times would be all that's necessary to add your check-up appointment to both your calendar and your doctor's calendar.

• Reply 167 of 341
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

I thought the iPhone would be a winner, the iPad a winner but the watch is a complete joke, and will rightly be ridiculed off the wrist of the wearer unless it literally is truly helping them with some kind of medical condition, and even then most people will question why they needed to splash out so much on the watch. That money would in most cases be much better spent giving it to a research medical charity. I hope Apple donates all the profits of this excessive device to those who really need medical care. To those that flash that ugly glass from under their cuffs, you deserve nothing but pity.

since when is $349 showing off wealth? get real.

• Reply 168 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Parker View Post

"Amazon's led by a Jobs wannabee who's realizing that, in fact, he is not Steve Jobs."

As we've recently learned, nor is Tim Cook.

what do you mean? when has cook pretended otherwise? unlike bezos. also unlike bezos, hes built the company into the biggest, most profitable, most successful US firm in history.

• Reply 169 of 341
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 170 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Being able to replace the internals of a $349 watch isn't so important.  But it's a different story when the watch costs north of $10,000.  Isn't that obvious?

not when youre the sort of person who buys $10,000 fashion objects. hint: they dont think like you do. they dont care.

• Reply 171 of 341
    Quote:

By all means buy what you want and enjoy it, but the watch is fake ugly and extremely bad for the environment. If you are happy that millions of people will buy a new high tech watch every two years when an iPhone would have sufficed when many people bought one watch for life not long ago, go scream on the rooftops that you love pollution, that you love more mining, that you love waste etc. It's sad how much stuff people need to make them feel happy. God help us.

so now the troll argument is based around faux environmental concerns? god help trolls.

• Reply 172 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

If you want real beauty buy a Tag Heur which has real craftmanship. This watch meaning the Apple is a complete waste of money.

It's an interesting fact that Apple, if it chose to, likely could design and build a better Tag Heuer, but Tag Heuer could not build a better Apple Watch.  Real craftsmanship or real industrial engineering, the quality and precision of the construction of the Apple Watch easily matches that of any watch on earth, while the utility far exceeds anything ever constructed to be worn on the wrist.

• Reply 173 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Everyone should be afraid of Apple. It's been the most disruptive company in history when it comes to business and changing our lives. Even without Jobs at the helm back in the late 80s and the early 90s. Sure, it lacked the magic then, the person to refine and say yes and no to projects...

We just won't know about the watch and what impact it has.

However, to most people:

1. It is too expensive (bang for the buck - just an iPhone extension (which HAS its advantages).

2. The watch doesn't do much.

3. Not worth the expense over a regular watch

4. Who really wants to get their messages and emails and alerts constantly. When you put your phone in your pocket, it's kind of gone into information hibernation and we get a short break. 

5. Again, its too expensive and Apple is nickel and diming people over the increase in size by $50.

Of course, if Steve were running the show, there would be exactly one watch. It would probably be black (maybe a white one). And he wouldn't be calling into Cramer's Mad Money show (desperation, Tim?). Or doing some cheesy announcement at the Apple event recently. Or wouldn't be talking up the digital crown so much then not talking about it.

Anyway, Steve was the magician. He was mythological in a very true sense. He was the "hero with a thousand faces" (Joseph Campbell).

So, we will see what happens. I will buy and Apple Watch when it runs a week on a charge, doesn't need an iPhone for many tasks (GPS????) and costs maybe a little less.

Right now, the watch is a vanity project. To me, at least.

Steve Jobs also wanted to dress up as Willy Wonka:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/26/steve-jobs-plan-for-a-willy-wonka-style-celebration-of-the-millionth-imac/

...oops, so much for your Steve-Jobs-Would-Never-Be-Cheesey troll vector...

• Reply 174 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rebe1 View Post

For the demographic of those buying the $349 vs the $10K+ watch, it is more important to those buying the watch for $349 that the internals are upgradable.  

what ipod has had upgradable internals? none. 

also, you speak as if the demographic buying the $349 are the very poor. hint: we're not. i dont expect my apple watch to be upgradable anymore than i do my iphone or even macbook.

• Reply 175 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's a different situation. Before the iPhone smartphones sucked and didn't have a high build quality, before the iPad tablets were god awful, and almost nonexistent. The same cannot be said about timepieces. People that buy high end watches usually own several. People that buy Cartier watches, and buy a Apple Watch will continue to buy Cartier watches. The notion the people will suddenly stop buying high end watches is silly.

You have missed the point.  People will demand more from what today is referred to as a watch, whether purchasing at the low end or the luxury end of the spectrum.  Go back and read my message (#94 in this thread).  Here's the relevant conclusion...

"Much has been written about Apple Watch as a challenger to luxury watches, many of which are merely a statement of wealth and fashion. It's not that the Apple Watch will change the way people perceive fashion.  No, it's that the Apple Watch, and to a lesser extent, all smart watches, will change the perception of what a watch should do.  And once that perception has changed, people will demand budget editions and luxury editions of that new paradigm.  It's then [soon] that all traditional watchmakers must shift, partner, or find a new way to make a living."

• Reply 176 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

It's not an article, it's an editorial. An extremely biased one.

the definition of an editorial is opinion. opinion is bias, duh.

• Reply 177 of 341
    Quote:

It's not an article, it's an editorial. An extremely biased one.

the definition of an editorial is opinion. opinion is bias, duh.

Quote:

Until Apple makes a watch line as diverse as this, Cartier is in no immediate danger of going out of business.

that reminds me of Samsung phones vs Apple phones....throw enough shit and see what sticks.

• Reply 178 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Can't justify the whole smartwatch concept. It boils down to the convenience of doing usual stuff "without pulling out your smartphone". Is it that much more convenient to bear the dramatically trumped UX the watch gives? It truly is Apple's step in to fashion. But not a great gadget in itself.

so much time have you spent using one? oh yeah, none. way to champion ignorant bias.

• Reply 179 of 341
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Being able to replace the internals of a $349 watch isn't so important.  But it's a different story when the watch costs north of $10,000.  Isn't that obvious?

If you can spend $10,000+ on a watch, being able to swap internals really doesn't matter.  Besides I didn't hear Apple say that wasn't possible, or they weren't going to do it.  They didn't say anything about that.  Maybe they won't until Next year or whenever the next Upgrade Happens.  See you're not the market Apple is looking at to sell this watch to.  Believe it or not, there are watches that cost over a MILLION!!!  Check this out, the 12 most Expensive watches over a Million!!!  #12 is 2.5 Million!!!!  #1 is 11 Million!!!  Do a few searches, you can find a number of lists like this one.   $10,000-$17,000 at most Apple watch is a tiny fraction of what many watches cost and all they do is tell time!!!  How could any watch be worth a million???  Now that's insane!!!  It's a whole different world.  Besides the publicity alone is worth it for Apple!!!  Getting the watch in Top fashion magazines is worth it.   I think Apple knows what it's doing.   Will I be buying a Gold Apple Watch?  Hell no!!!  I don't think I'd even buy the Sport version.  There's going to be a lot of people who will buy them including the gold version.  

http://hiconsumption.com/2014/02/the-12-most-expensive-watches-over-1-million/

• Reply 180 of 341
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    The phone has already become an unwelcome intrusion into many aspects of our lives. But it does have one saving grace -- you can put it away.

The watch, you really can't. Its always there. Perhaps there will be a simple way to put the watch into "airplane" mode which will even turn off the display unless a physical button is pressed. This is one of the reasons why glancing at your watch while otherwise engaged, became a socially unacceptable ... Because it was a ubiquitous, yet an accepted and necessary device. But imagine you are in a darkened theater, and ?Watches all around you are lighting up? It happens with smartphones now in a theater, but still many put their phones in their pockets. Not so with the wrist.

And as long as it's always there, people are probably going to interact with it. You've heard people take calls during a movie? Now they just have to raise their wrist to their mouth and start talking. One saving grace, at least if the phone starts ringing they should be able to silence it faster. But the geeky part will come into play when the guy sitting in the restaurant is having a conversation on his watch, while he surfs the web on his phone. Phone on the table while using the watch. Or the guy who can't stop playing with his, having to charge it multiple times a day because of it. The guy who shows up at a party and asks if anybody has an ?Watch charger because he needs to charge his watch, will win geek of the year award. Imagine the guy sitting in a corner at a club or party scrolling through his watch near his face because the screen is so small ... Or trying to show people pictures of his family (the modern equivalent of wallet photos). But the worst will be when Apple finally introduces a camera ... and you know it's coming -- 'is that guy checking the time, or taking a picture of me?'

These are all worst case scenarios for sure, and it's way too early to know how this device will be accepted by others. I suspect initially it will have a major cool factor, no matter how people may feel about it -- its just plain cool in what it can do. But once all of your friends and colleagues, and strangers on a plane have seen all the amazing things your watch can do, it may become a bore to them, unless you keep it very much to yourself -- and that's when things turn geeky. We shall see.

Now you're just trolling. There is less to do on a watch than an iPhone. Who's to stop anyone from burying themselves looking at an iPhone. It makes no sense to have a camera on a watch.