At 97%, Apple Watch customer satisfaction outpaces original iPhone, iPad - report

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2015
The vast majority of Apple Watch owners are very happy with the new wearable, survey data indicates, with overall customer satisfaction rising above the levels recorded for the iPhone and iPad at the same point in their lives.

Of the more than 800 Apple Watch owners surveyed by Wristly, 31 percent said they were "somewhat satisfied" while 66 percent were "very satisfied/delighted." In comparison, just 91 percent of iPad buyers and 92 percent of those who picked up first-generation iPhones were satisfied with their purchase.

Casual users seem to be the most at ease with the Apple Watch, as 73 percent of survey respondents who do not work in technology reported being "very satisfied." That number drops to 63 percent for so-called "tech insiders" and 43 percent for developers.

Most also believe the Watch to be a good value, with 73 percent saying that the device is worth what it costs. 14 percent think the Apple Watch is worth more, while 12 percent rated it a poor value.

Interestingly, Wristly says that its analysis indicated a gulf in perceived value between owners of the stainless steel Watch and the sport version, with stainless steel owners generally believing the device to be a better value.

Apple is expected to reveal some additional data about the Watch's first months during the company's Tuesday afternoon earnings call, but sales figures will not be broken out in detail. AppleInsider will have live coverage of the call beginning at 5 p.m. Eastern time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Great to see Apple blogs/rumor sites pushing this data. Confirms what I've suspected all along. Average consumers are more satisfied with ?Watch than early adopter techies and designers in the Bay Area. Unfortunately most of the media FUD is based on the latter not the former. Facebook took 18 months to give us a universal iOS app (remember Zuck once said he didn't consider iPad to be "mobile"), still doesn't support continuity or native share sheets in iOS 8 yet according to the New York Times a barometer of Apple Watch success is whether Facebook has an app for it. And for Fortune and Fast Company it's only successful if San Francisco designers involved with Fitbit give it their seal of approval. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 2 of 83
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member

Well, obviously, this survey did not ask the most important demographic:

Bloggers looking for clickbait.

• Reply 3 of 83
    rogifan wrote: »
    Great to see Apple blogs/rumor sites pushing this data. Confirms what I've suspected all along. Average consumers are more satisfied with ?Watch than early adopter techies and designers in the Bay Area. Unfortunately most of the media FUD is based on the latter not the former. Facebook took 18 months to give us a universal iOS app (remember Zuck once said he didn't consider iPad to be "mobile"), still doesn't support continuity or native share sheets in iOS 8 yet according to the New York Times a barometer of Apple Watch success is whether Facebook has an app for it. And for Fortune and Fast Company it's only successful if San Francisco designers involved with Fitbit give it their seal of approval. :rolleyes:

Facebook killed their universal app a few months ago and just forced the iPhone design onto iPad owners. Idiotberg considers Anderoid the priority because marketshare.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    When Pundits pan the Apple Watch, you have to realize that they are simply trying to manipulate Apple's stock downward so that they can make lots of money on the upswing. Apple is the most manipulated stock ever. Even Cramer confessed he has manipulated Apple's stock this way.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    So does wristly get its information solely from people who volunteer online to answer questions? If so the data would be skewed in a way that wouldn't reflect a true cross representative sample.

Before I am maligned for asking the question, I'm an Apple stock owner and company fan. Just approach surveys with caution.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Great to see Apple blogs/rumor sites pushing this data. Confirms what I've suspected all along. Average consumers are more satisfied with ?Watch than early adopter techies and designers in the Bay Area. Unfortunately most of the media FUD is based on the latter not the former. Facebook took 18 months to give us a universal iOS app (remember Zuck once said he didn't consider iPad to be "mobile"), still doesn't support continuity or native share sheets in iOS 8 yet according to the New York Times a barometer of Apple Watch success is whether Facebook has an app for it. And for Fortune and Fast Company it's only successful if San Francisco designers involved with Fitbit give it their seal of approval. image

I have not read the NYT article, but I find it strange the NYT used Facebook as a barometer to measure the success/failure of the Apple Watch when the NYT had an app available for the Apple Watch on April 24th. So, does the NYT now consider the availability of a Facebook app a much more important success/failure barometer than the availability of its own app? 

• Reply 7 of 83
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    More evidence that the Internet is seriously deluded, and the trolls are more pathetic and wrong they ever have ever been. What happened to "record high returns" and "people are disappointed with their Apple Watches" claim that some have been shitting out?
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

agree.

Or they are just trying to get click bait or their 15 seconds of fame.

Remember the clown who said Apple was a sell because of morality reasons?  Clown.

After popping up to $93 per share Friday, Google is down $16.02 as of this comment. Fortune, the great magazine for being two days late, is touting that the Google co-founders gained $4 billion in stock value Friday. I wonder if Jonathan Chew will write another article discussing how the Google co-founders lost that $4 billion in stock value the next week. :???:

• Reply 9 of 83
    Yet, it's the non-using morons -- including clueless tech writers and commentators -- who dominate the discussion about the Watch.

What a travesty.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    When Pundits pan the Apple Watch, you have to realize that they are simply trying to manipulate Apple's stock downward so that they can make lots of money on the upswing. Apple is the most manipulated stock ever. Even Cramer confessed he has manipulated Apple's stock this way.

Apple stock was recently close to 120 and now as of this morning it's almost 132. Smells like a run up prior to earnings so it can have a big sell off on Wednesday,
  • Reply 11 of 83
    So does wristly get its information solely from people who volunteer online to answer questions? If so the data would be skewed in a way that wouldn't reflect a true cross representative sample.

Before I am maligned for asking the question, I'm an Apple stock owner and company fan. Just approach surveys with caution.

You could ask Ben Bajarin on Twitter or the article he posted on techpinions. I think it was more than just an online survey but I'm not positive.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    rogifan wrote: »
    jameskatt2 wrote: »

Apple stock was recently close to 120 and now as of this morning it's almost 132. Smells like a run up prior to earnings so it can have a big sell off on Wednesday,

Maybe. Maybe not.

Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is and buy AAPL puts? Let us know when you have.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    So a company, that just started this year and has no track record, has a new website just for the Apple Watch, that you have to join to participate, and no one is questioning it?
  • Reply 14 of 83
    sog35 wrote: »
    could happen.  But maybe not.

Either way that's not a smart way to invest.  If you are not wiling to hold a stock 5 year or more you are just trading/gambling.

In the long run AAPL will vastly out perform the broad stock market.  

Personally I have about 850 shares of stock and I'm not selling a single share this week regardless if the stock is $110 or $140.

I'm not selling my AAPL stock but I won't be surprised if it sells off on Wednesday. Last quarter Apple beat on nearly every metric and the next day the stock was down about 2%. Already I'm seeing some pundits say a good quarter is already priced into the stock. I suppose these are the same analysts who think Google having a PE of 33 is perfectly reasonable.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    I would have to say I tend to agree as I am very satisfied with my watch. The only real gripe I have is some apps take too long to load/update. Once they offer localized apps in next OS that should be solved...otherwise I think they have a great product they can build and improve as time goes on.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    slurpy wrote: »
    More evidence that the Internet is seriously deluded, and the trolls are more pathetic and wrong they ever have ever been. What happened to "record high returns" and "people are disappointed with their Apple Watches" claim that some have been shitting out?

Trolls use personal anecdotes like "Most of my friends are Apple Fans and none of them has an Apple Watch, so Apple must be loosing [sic]."
  • Reply 17 of 83
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Just like anything else on the Internet the negative crowd tends to post negative things while those who are satisfied or at least not upset do not tend to post. So we get this skewed view of reality, whether it’s customer satisfaction or software bugs.

And I think tomorrow’s Q3 report will stun those those trolls regarding the Apple Watch. 

• Reply 18 of 83
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhattanlad View Post

It's a similar methodology to the results for the iPad and iPhone, so they should still be comparable.

• Reply 19 of 83
    lkrupp wrote: »

Just like anything else on the Internet the negative crowd tends to post negative things while those who are satisfied or at least not upset do not tend to post. So we get this skewed view of reality, whether it’s customer satisfaction or software bugs.

And I think tomorrow’s Q3 report will stun those those trolls regarding the Apple Watch. 

If the FUD around the Watch was anywhere close to being accurate wouldn't we be seeing more stories/rumors about concern inside Apple, questions about the strategy, decent within the company etc. Believe me sites like 9to5Mac and Business Insider would be all over that juicy gossip if it existed. The only thing I've seen so far was a post on MacRumors from a former Apple employee who still keeps in touch with current Apple employees. He said he's been told that inside the company the Watch is treated with the same level of excitement as the original iPhone.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Of the more than 800 Apple Watch owners surveyed by Wristly, 31 percent said they were "somewhat satisfied" while 66 percent were "very satisfied/delighted." In comparison, just 91 percent of iPad buyers and 92 percent of those who picked up first-generation iPhones were satisfied with their purchase.

There is one consideration that I think needs to be mentioned when comparing those numbers. Many first iPhone and first iPad buyers were also first time Apple product buyers. In the case of the ?Watch, 100% of the buyers were already satisfied Apple product owners which you would expect to skew the percentages. I think the important number is the 3 percent of buyers who were dissatisfied. Although that is a low number, no one should be dissatisfied with an ?Watch purchase. I would put myself in the "somewhat satisfied" category. My only real complaints are that it asks for the passcode too often and it is nearly impossible to read the screen in direct sunlight. I have the 42 SS Milanese.