Apple bumps tvOS to version 9.1.1, adds Podcasts app

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2016
Apple on Monday released tvOS 9.1.1, the third iteration of the Apple TV operating system that brings with it bug fixes, performance tweaks and a new Podcasts app.

For Apple TV owners who also listen to podcasts via iTunes, the new Podcasts app will allow them to easily play new episodes via their home theater systems. The app automatically synchronizes subscriptions from iTunes via iCloud.

Apple has not detailed any other changes to tvOS 9.1.1, but they are likely minimal and under-the-hood as the company gears up to release a much larger update with tvOS 9.2.

With new Podcasts app support, AppleInsider readers can listen to our podcast on a bigger set of speakers. The show can be found on Apple TV by searching for "AppleInsider," or will be added to a user account by subscribing through iTunes.

Announced earlier this month, tvOS 9.2 brings a number of enhancements including a redesigned app switcher, app folders, and support for Bluetooth keyboards. There is no word on when tvOS 9.2 will be released to the public, but it is expected this spring.

tvOS 9.1.1 is available now as an over-the-air update for the fourth-generation Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I hope this article does not trigger the next barrage of "No 4K or Bluetooth keyboard support" comments.
    edited January 2016 nolamacguyjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 28
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Hope it solves the issue with the NBCSports app continually crashing.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    who the hell listens to podcasts on their TV set? You gotta be in your 70's 
    eh, options.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Podcast are not audio only. There are plenty of video options.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    mdlall said:
    My thoughts exactly. Who the hell listens to only audio podcasts ? You gotta be in your 80s reminiscing about the golden age of radio ;-)
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 28
    It's nice to see the ATV4 is finally approaching the functionality of the ATV3. The lack of podcasts is one of the remaining complaints I have about the ATV4. I enjoy watching TWiT podcasts which I could do for free on my ATV3 via the native Podcasts app, but on my ATV4 I had to purchase the TWiT app.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    zroger73 said:
    It's nice to see the ATV4 is finally approaching the functionality of the ATV3. The lack of podcasts is one of the remaining complaints I have about the ATV4. I enjoy watching TWiT podcasts which I could do for free on my ATV3 via the native Podcasts app, but on my ATV4 I had to purchase the TWiT app.
    Yeah, that 99¢ app almost bankrupted you didn’t it. Oh, and there’s the FREE Twit app that showed up shortly after launch. I think there are three or four Twit apps now available.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 28
    jony0 said:
    mdlall said:
    My thoughts exactly. Who the hell listens to only audio podcasts ? You gotta be in your 80s reminiscing about the golden age of radio ;-)
    Are you being sarcastic? I subscribe to a lot of DJ podcasts for music; no video required. Also news podcasts that you can just listen to during commuting or working out; no video required.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    kent909 said:
    I hope this article does not trigger the next barrage of "No 4K or Bluetooth keyboard support" comments.
    You forgot the optical audio port. Time to just start ignoring the malcontents. Nothing satisfies them anyway so why even try.
    edited January 2016 nolamacguyjbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sog35 said:
    i do. your failure to envision people doing things differently than your use cases is your problem.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 11 of 28
    sog35 said:
    I use my 3g Apple TV for a fair amount of audio; it's attached to my 7.1 stereo. Don't necessarily have my TV on when doing so.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Well, despite the obvious need for audio podcasts to be available, I find it quite humorous that tha Podcast app on the newest appleTV does not to offer video feeds.  Maybe they can call iit Appleradiocast for the AppleTV.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    tbsteph said:
    Well, despite the obvious need for audio podcasts to be available, I find it quite humorous that tha Podcast app on the newest appleTV does not to offer video feeds.  Maybe they can call iit Appleradiocast for the AppleTV.
    They are probably holding off on the video podcasts for when 4K video podcasts become mainstream.

Wait..what?
    jbdragon
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Pleasantly surprised to find that my previously saved podcast favorites are still there on the new Podcast app.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 28
    tbsteph said:

Are you saying the new Podcast app just released for the ATV4 doesn’t support video podcasts? Because it most certainly does. I’m watching an episode of ScreenSavers as I type this.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 28
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    cali said:
    sog35 said:
    eh, options.
    Guess you have never used the service. Watch and Listen applies to podcasting.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    mdlall said:
    From what I've read, the podcast app on Apple TV does not currently support video podcasts. 
  • Reply 18 of 28
    levi said:
    mdlall said:
    From what I've read, the podcast app on Apple TV does not currently support video podcasts. 
    lkrupp said:
    tbsteph said:

Are you saying the new Podcast app just released for the ATV4 doesn’t support video podcasts? Because it most certainly does. I’m watching an episode of ScreenSavers as I type this.

• Reply 19 of 28
    The podcast I hope won't be to tricky. I always end up having "podcasts downloading" on my other machines when I fire up iTunes and then quit. But essentially what I am getting to, is I hope it doesn't just sit there filling up my AppleTV with all my podcasts, what I am hoping for is a good way to manage them, in that off chance I want to just watch/listen to one podcast on the TV cause it's convent and I am working on the couch.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    mistergsf said:
    jony0 said:
    Are you being sarcastic? I subscribe to a lot of DJ podcasts for music; no video required. Also news podcasts that you can just listen to during commuting or working out; no video required.

Yes of course I was. I used the ;-) wink instead of the /s or Sarcästic Umlaüt because it was meant as a whimsical retort to the original comment and a playful take on its shortsightedness. I was replying to a comment which wasn’t a reply of the original, here it is in case you missed it or couldn't see it because you blocked the commenter :

sog35 said:

As a rule I don’t impose my preferences or dictate my personal usage to the whole population as the only use cases possible.