iPhone sales fall to 51.2M, Apple earns $50.6B in revenue in disappointing March quarter

Comments

• Reply 121 of 163
    sog35 said:
    Bought 300 shares at $99. 

May drop even more but does not matter.

I'm holding these suckers for 10+ years.
    I bought my first 300 shares for $80 in 2005.
    I continued to purchase shares on price drops for 10 years and stopped in 2015.
    doing this made me a multi millionaire.

Keep going!
    SpamSandwichnetmagepalomine
  • Reply 122 of 163
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 said:
    Bought 300 shares at $99. 

May drop even more but does not matter.

I'm holding these suckers for 10+ years.
    I bought my first 300 shares for $80 in 2005.
    I continued to purchase shares on price drops for 10 years and stopped in 2015.
    doing this made me a multi millionaire.

Keep going!
    Congrats!
  • Reply 123 of 163
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    rob53 said:
    nhughes said:
    I'm pretty sure I have more than half a brain. Mac and iPad sales both also fell year over year, and by considerable amounts. It's a disappointing quarter.
    187 posts for a member, administrator, moderator, Editors. Where have you been? 

As for this one disappointing quarter, so what? Apple still had great numbers for any company other than itself. It's still doing better than it was two years ago. Investors don't have any brains and neither do analysts. They can only see two inches in front of their face. Any real investor would simply hold onto their stock and wait it out. Wall Street has never been honest about anything so seeing the stock drop doesn't surprise me. I can't wait until it drops further so Apple can buy back as many shares as it can. It's amazing how many websites and analysts Apple keeps in business. I'd rather see Apple go private maybe as something like a co-op; owned by its employees. Of course, if they did, a hella of a lot of websites would have to shut down and there would be a whole lot of analysts out of work. There, that's from someone who does have more than half a brain and sees the glass half full instead of barely having anything in it.
    He probably has been professional - administrating, moderating and editing, not posting. That would be more of a members' thing, not moderators'.
  • Reply 124 of 163
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    How can it be disappointing when it was predicted? Maybe childish expectations?
    netmage
  • Reply 125 of 163
    This is actually a very good result because the share price will go up. The reason is that wall street is unreasonable.
  • Reply 126 of 163
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,105member
    Apple should bring back the iPhone 4, call it the iPhone SE2, and that should fix everything.  :D
  • Reply 127 of 163
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,105member
    karmadave said:
    Apple is still one of the largest, most profitable companies ever. The challenge is that investors demand growth and Apple's sales are not growing at the moment. I would imagine this is extra incentive to get their next generation products to market sooner than later and make sure they have a healthy pipeline of new products. Unfortunately, the iPad and Watch are not selling enough to make up for the decline in iPhone sales. Tim Cook is a very capable executive, but Steve Jobs was really the one who drove the company to bring innovative, new products to market. He simply cannot be replaced...
    The Watch isn't selling because it sucks. This little Apple car boondoggle should be enough to dry up the remaining billions of Apple's R&D. Tim is leading Apple off a cliff.
    edited April 2016 PastorJamessatchmo
  • Reply 128 of 163
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,303member
    Apple had better realize it's not 2007 or 2014 when they were alone on top. The competition has caught up and in some areas, surpassed Apple. Apple learned of the demand for larger screens after the fact, and needed to catch up--something the company's not used to doing. The 6 and 6s took care of screen size, but what now?
    For Apple's sake, the iPhone 7 had been be vastly upgraded over what's being predicted.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 129 of 163

sog35 said:

Think LONG TERM. I'm talking about 10 years or more.  Personally I see the stock at $300 in 10 years.

But where is that growth going to come from? There doesn't seem to be another blockbuster product like the iPod, iPhone or iPad on the horizon.
    Apple Watch even for the apologists has only made a minor splash in terms of their revenue
    Researchkit, Homekit, Healthkit, Carplay haven't exactly set the world on fire. Homekit is particularly disappointing, would have been a really good opportunity to grow the Apple ecosystem but the products still aren't out there
    Apple Car is as much vaporware as ever
    Where else could they launch new products? An Apple TV (as opposed to appleTV)? Hard to see where the growth is going to come from. You don't get a tripling in the stock price for churning out iterations of the same core products.

anantksundaram
  • Reply 130 of 163
    tyler82 said:
    karmadave said:
    Apple is still one of the largest, most profitable companies ever. The challenge is that investors demand growth and Apple's sales are not growing at the moment. I would imagine this is extra incentive to get their next generation products to market sooner than later and make sure they have a healthy pipeline of new products. Unfortunately, the iPad and Watch are not selling enough to make up for the decline in iPhone sales. Tim Cook is a very capable executive, but Steve Jobs was really the one who drove the company to bring innovative, new products to market. He simply cannot be replaced...
    The Watch isn't selling because it sucks. This little Apple car boondoggle should be enough to dry up the remaining billions of Apple's R&D. Tim is leading Apple off a cliff.
    The watch sucks for now (altough not for everyone) but it might not do so in the future. Introducing a device too early has its disadvantages, but now that it's done Apple has a position in the market they can build on.
    Thats actually smart and a sane thing to do.
    Apple car might never be, but I think it will. We should wait and see, a lot of very qualified (and what's more important, capable) people are working on it and the result could be very interesting.
    It might be that the future of the whole automobile market is iPhone like and that existing brands will lose out to the computer savvy industry.
    There is absolutely no chance Apple can 'dry up' it's money on R&D, that's a very small fraction of the money they have. Burning (literally) through $500 billion dollars because of shareholders is a lot more worrisome.
    Currenly Apple is extremely successful and has no equal, it is much much more succesful than Before Cook (BC), and one slight dip in an incredible row of successes makes your comment uncalled for. 
    edited April 2016 netmage
  • Reply 131 of 163
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Yeah but if you don't have products (macOS and iOS) to use those services then YOU LOSE. And right now the (mac platform is SUFFERING)...
  • Reply 132 of 163
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    saltyzip said:
    IPhone unit sales mean everything to Apple it's their cash cow, if that drops away Apple risk falling back to a niche company
    iPhone unit sales mean nothing to Apple. This is the ecosystem that matters. If any Apple product brings any profit that profit is given to that product by the ecosystem. The product gains its value by being a working piece of that ecosystem. It is by managing that ecosystem that Apple manages its profits, not by reporting unit shipments. That's what Korean state-sponsored multimedia telephone users will never understand...
    You are wrong.  The ecosystem is near irrelevant in the face of 65% of revenue being from iPhone sales.
    singularity
  • Reply 133 of 163

sog35 said:

Think LONG TERM. I'm talking about 10 years or more.  Personally I see the stock at $300 in 10 years.

But where is that growth going to come from? There doesn't seem to be another blockbuster product like the iPod, iPhone or iPad on the horizon.
    Apple Watch even for the apologists has only made a minor splash in terms of their revenue
    Researchkit, Homekit, Healthkit, Carplay haven't exactly set the world on fire. Homekit is particularly disappointing, would have been a really good opportunity to grow the Apple ecosystem but the products still aren't out there
    Where else could they launch new products? An Apple TV (as opposed to appleTV)? Hard to see where the growth is going to come from. You don't get a tripling in the stock price for churning out iterations of the same core products.

Stock price has noting to do with the value or growth of a company.
    Its a gamblers market and as such steered by hype and irrational short term thinking.
    So Apple shares can be reduced to zero in an instance and be valued $300 the next.
    Take a bet on it.

Your right that Apple kit and play have some lag after the introduction, but that doesn't mean they cannot gain traction. If I read the signs right CarPlay might take of right now because the first normally priced aftermarket car players are on the market now (that's €350 for a Panasonic player and $400 for a JBL player). The 'kits' need some time but HomeKit and HealthKit stuff is slowly appearing on the market, I see it as a strategic investment of Apple and they are in it for the long run.

Actually Apple can grow a lot if they let go the profit margin a bit and start shipping products for a much lower price. They currently have the technology to do that and still make a big profit and capture more than half of the computer market (Apples core competence).
    How? Bring out an ARM (A10) based computer for $250 (without display) and an iMac for $500.
    Its that easy ...
  • Reply 134 of 163
    blitz2blitz2 Posts: 34member
    I guess Tim is very happy with fellows like sog35 to whom he can sell the shares that vested  :D
  • Reply 135 of 163
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

sog35 said:

If the recent past is any indicator, at some point Appke will say "today we introduce our latest 'hobbies'—Apple AR (augmented reality) and Apple Car..."

Odds are good that none of us will see another major breakthrough device for many years, or possibly again in our lifetimes.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 136 of 163
    It is clear that apple is not listening to customares and they believe they can be the elite for the phones. I left the Iphone beacuase in terms of price and quality it's inferior to all other brands, i am having my second android and this time i am satisfied with motorola by lenovo, more or less same as an iphone 6s plus but priced 600 euros under, as i can put external micro sd memory. But overall I am not satisfied with all apple products, are less solid and durable, the i pad has too many ios limitations, the stubborness to avoid the merging of the two operatives system, you are late on many things now, and you are gonna loose a lot of credit, that's why your marketing is increasing. The new Macbook is useless with one port and a too slow processor, mac book air needs better screen resolution, and the avidity of the memories in ipad and iphone still starting at 16 gb is ridiculous. I think that there are too many wrong choices at the moment, needless to mention the iwatch useless and super expensive. Also the mac book pro retina line isn't evovling in the past 3 years or 4. I guess you were not hungry, becasue of your dominance, and now i think you are gonna loose a lot of market share if you don't change in time. But something tells me you believe too much in your own trajectory, and the Ceo is not so clever and visionar, i am sorry tim cook, but you have to focus more on suggestions, we are so many in the world that are inspired by apple, and a lot of suggestions can come from the base, stop imposing products that we don't like. Mac book is amazing but it should have been more a replacement for the air and not with that price point. Operating system in my i pad 2 started to decline after ios7 and now i don't want to use it anymore, sorry but this doesn't make me feel i wanna buy a new one, instead the opposite. My macbook pro 15 inch abandoned me after only 8 years. Pretty bad i say. I pods of earlier generations were left to rotten. Too much too much.. and guess what i would love to buy a new iphone but not with 850 euros price tag for just little more and little less from competition. Think about it and ask people. Apple is becoming too much obsessed with money and we can sense that. But first get us back the real quality in the products and make them durable, that is also the issue. And come on, how can you still think in a 4,6 inch screen for a phone... and the 4 inch also is so stupid.. people buy it beacause it's cheaper not because they really want it, if you slash the price on iphone 6s then you see. But greediness is within your dna now...
    edited April 2016 jackansi
  • Reply 137 of 163
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,262member
    knowitall said:
    This is actually a very good result because the share price will go up. The reason is that wall street is unreasonable.
    Wall Street is recommending Apple as a good investment, even after this quarter's results. No idea why you think they're anti-Apple unless you've only found your news on Apple fan sites. 

After yesterday this is what they've said:
    Katy Huberty, Morgan Stanley -  Outperform, target $117
    Amit Daryanani, RBC - Outperform, target $120
    Timothy Arcuri, Cowan - Outperform, target $125
    Tim Long, BMO -  Outperform, target $117
    Walter Piecyk, BTIG - Buy, target $115

There's also a sprinkling of "overweight" comments from a few but all still predict an increase in share price as far as I see. 

The one outlier I've read? Trip Chowdhry, Global Equities. He says "fire the bozos"CEO Tim Cook, CFO Luca Maestri, Retail head Angela Ahrendts. Recommends hiring Jon Rubinstein as Apple CEO and Fred Anderson as the returning Apple CFO. Pretty much blames it all on current management and sees dumping them as the only solution.
    http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/16/01/6096812/global-equities-trip-chowdhry-blasts-apple-management-ti
    edited April 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 138 of 163
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    gatorguy said:
    knowitall said:
    Wall Street is recommending Apple as a good investment, even after this quarter's results. No idea why you think they're anti-Apple unless you've only found your news on Apple fan sites. 

Katy Huberty, Morgan Stanley -  Outperform, target $117
    Amit Daryanani, RBC - Outperform, target $120
    Timothy Arcuri, Cowan - Outperform, target $125
    Tim Long, BMO -  Outperform, target $117
    Walter Piecyk, BTIG - Buy, target $115

The one outlier I've read? Trip Chowdhry, Global Equities. He says "fire the bozos"CEO Tim Cook, CFO Luca Maestri, Retail head Angela Ahrendts. Recommends hiring Jon Rubinstein as Apple CEO and Fred Anderson as the returning Apple CFO. Pretty much blames it all on current management. 
    Chowdhry should probably back off and take a look at the current global picture.  Numerous countries and regions teetering on the edge of outright recession, currency wars and central banks desperately trying to fix the unfixable and likely just creating pain with interest in the near future.  China is a great big bad debt implosion just waiting to happen and trigger a global avalanche.  The Smartphone market - at Western, Apple like price levels - has mostly reached global saturation with a swathe of Chinese manufacturers producing very capable devices at less than half the cost of Western priced equivalents.

The downturn in Apple's recent fortunes has little to do with management.
  • Reply 139 of 163
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    PastorJames said:

Homekit is particularly disappointing, would have been a really good opportunity to grow the Apple ecosystem but the products still aren't out there

I agree. At first I had great expectations for HomeKit until I realized that turning an existing home into a connected home is really expensive to retrofit. In constructing a new home you can plan to put power at every door and window for locks and shades. You need all kinds of atypical wiring to do it right. It will likely be years before homebuilders make an effort to prewire homes for HomeKit. It is a chicken and egg situation. People who are custom building their home should consider configuring their wiring for HomeKit compatibility, but how many people building homes are even aware that HomeKit exists?

If existing homes were automatically compatible with HomeKit, Apple could leverage that to their advantage and actually produce HomeKit products but that is not reality at the moment.
  • Reply 140 of 163
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    Chowdhry should probably back off and take a look at the current global picture.  Numerous countries and regions teetering on the edge of outright recession, currency wars and central banks desperately trying to fix the unfixable and likely just creating pain with interest in the near future.  China is a great big bad debt implosion just waiting to happen and trigger a global avalanche.  The Smartphone market - at Western, Apple like price levels - has mostly reached global saturation with a swathe of Chinese manufacturers producing very capable devices at less than half the cost of Western priced equivalents.

The downturn in Apple's recent fortunes has little to do with management.
    then why is iPhone 6s sales 32% higher than iPhone 5s sales?

If the economy is doing so much worse today than in 2014, why is Apple selling 32% more iPhone units then in 2014?

Not trying to be an azz here Sog but why are you comparing 2014 numbers? Shouldn't they be compared to the quarter from this time last year, not two years ago?
    singularity