iPhone sales fall to 51.2M, Apple earns $50.6B in revenue in disappointing March quarter

Comments

• Reply 61 of 163

It's just hard to argue that the company is firing on all cylinders when all three major product categories are seeing year over year declines. I've been a fervent Apple fan and owner for at least a decade, but I've been seeing so many things since Jobs died that indicate to me that this isn't the same company anymore. So many decisions are marketing driven nowadays, like why I can't get a Macbook with two ports because they don't want it to steal sales from the Macbook Pro, or why I can't still get a computer with user-serviceable parts because then people will spend less on upgrades. These aren't things that benefit the end user. These are things that benefit the bottom line at the expense of the end user. 

Just across the board, this is now a company focussed on making money MORE than it's focussed on making the best products in the world. 
    I don't think you are correct I still think there is a philosophy of making the right device still at Apple, maybe not as insanely great as before but it still  there. As Jobs would say its not binary
    netmage
  • Reply 62 of 163
    It's tough to spin this. Things may even get a little worse before they get better. While the Watch is just great, it's not a needle-moving new product. There has been nothing massively significant since the iPad six years ago, and the story there is not great either (in part because most people can hang on to it for much longer than Apple perhaps thought they might, given its use case).

The bottom line is that Apple needs a new hit. I am not sure what that could be in the next year or two, until/if/when the iCar arrives. From a stockholder standpoint, there's not much else to do at this point except to hold.

The thrill may be slowly going, baby....
    edited April 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 63 of 163
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    I'll take a disappointing 50B quarter revenue any day.
    pmz
  • Reply 64 of 163
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    saltyzip said:
    sog35 said:
    Services up 20% YoY.

that is the key.

iPhone unit sales don't mean crap long term.

GROW the USER base.
    Then sell SERVICES.
    That is the future.

Only those with VISION know this.
    IPhone unit sales mean everything to Apple it's their cash cow, if that drops away Apple risk falling back to a niche company
    iPhone unit sales mean nothing to Apple. This is the ecosystem that matters. If any Apple product brings any profit that profit is given to that product by the ecosystem. The product gains its value by being a working piece of that ecosystem. It is by managing that ecosystem that Apple manages its profits, not by reporting unit shipments. That's what Korean state-sponsored multimedia telephone users will never understand...
    edited April 2016 netmage
  • Reply 65 of 163
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    volcan said:
    After Hours: 97.74 -6.61 
    It's travesty of Wall Street. Apple hit its guidance. Analysts who guessed wrong should be fired. 
    baconstangpalomine
  • Reply 66 of 163
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Never a good thing when Tim is getting into the minutia of channel inventory. 
  • Reply 67 of 163
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Apple beat estimated earning, AAPL drops. Apple miss earning, AAPL drops even more. When would you win with AAPL? Invest GOOG. Oh, Google just dropped 7-8% the other day too.
  • Reply 68 of 163
    CJCJ Posts: 1member
    Make it do something else. I'm tired of it. I want something new. "Science Nerds Make Do something New"
    baconstang
  • Reply 69 of 163
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Maybe all those that thought apple was so great are finally realizing that Apple products are hyped and way overpriced. So Apple needs to lower prices otherwise face the consequences of lost revenues and eventually going out of business.
    Going out of business...ha ha. Nice troll account post one.

Apple has had the luxury of selling high volume at a high price. Everyone else just wishes they could do one or the other.
    chianetmagepalomine
  • Reply 70 of 163
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    volcan said:
    Well we don't know for sure what he does, but since AAPL is quite volatile, he could be selling puts and actually making money while still holding his shares or even execute the puts and buy it back for less.
    No we have no idea what he does, yes he could be selling puts , depends on his time frame, selling naked puts is very risky though. He might be covering them or have them covered or he could be selling calls on them more likely trying to make back his losses  though! esp if he bought at 120-130 range when he was promising the stock would be at 150 by last Christmas. 
    If you invest in stocks, you don't try to buy low and sell high because you don't know when stocks will go down or up. So, investment 101, buy stocks in intervals to minimize the loss even when stocks fluctuate a lot. Haven you learnt?
  • Reply 71 of 163
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member

Not disappointing at all. 

67% from international sales... That is a big success given that national currencies lose their value against strengthening US dollar. Globally Apple products are more expensive than ever, because of the US dollar.

And yet these more expensive products sell globally... That shows Apple is on the right track with its products and services.

i have no idea how this works but all the costs associated with paying FOXCON are in what currency, not $ so I guess it evens out quite a lot 
    Of course it pays in US$ otherwise why would Apple continue that business? 
  • Reply 72 of 163
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    This are really bad numbers and it shows that Apple has to bring interesting exciting new products to the market ! How about a detachable touch screen for the Macbook Pro that also runs IOS so I don't have to bring my Ipad ? I would like that !  Also, bringing some manufacturing back to the United States will increase the customer loyality ! And don't let them tell you they can't move their supply chain back home, let me tell you, in the case of a political unstability they can move very quickly !
  • Reply 73 of 163
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's tough to spin this. Things may even get a little worse before they get better. While the Watch is just great, it's not a needle-moving new product. The bottom line is that, there has been nothing massively significant since the iPad six years ago, and the story there is not great either (in part because most people can hang on to it for much longer than Apple perhaps thought they might, given its use case).

The bottom line is that Apple needs a new hit. I am not sure what that could be in the next year or two, until/if/when the iCar arrives. From a stockholder standpoint, there's not much else to do at this point except to hold.

I don't agree. Next year on the bigger upgrade cycle and with the addition of the SE (or whatever replaces it) unit increases will be very large yoy.  

As for some new product I would suggest. 

1) an Amazon alexa type product. 
    2) a proper TV 
  • Reply 74 of 163
    asdasd said:
    It's tough to spin this. Things may even get a little worse before they get better. While the Watch is just great, it's not a needle-moving new product. The bottom line is that, there has been nothing massively significant since the iPad six years ago, and the story there is not great either (in part because most people can hang on to it for much longer than Apple perhaps thought they might, given its use case).

I don't agree. Next year on the bigger upgrade cycle and with the addition of the SE (or whatever replaces it) unit increases will be very large yoy.  

As for some new product I would suggest. 

1) an Amazon alexa type product. 
    2) a proper TV 
    What's the point of an Apple television set other than new for the sake of new? 
    baconstangpmz
  • Reply 75 of 163
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member

i have no idea how this works but all the costs associated with paying FOXCON are in what currency, not $ so I guess it evens out quite a lot 
    Of course it pays in US$ otherwise why would Apple continue that business? 
    I don't understand your comment. If Apple has a bunch of Yuan in China banks, why not pay Foxconn with those instead of shipping USD from the States? They need all the cash they already have in the US to stay in the US, at least as much as possible, I would think, but I'm not an economist.
    baconstangchia
  • Reply 76 of 163
    Every company from IBM to Dell to HP is doing that. How innovative.
  • Reply 77 of 163
    sog35 said:
    Services up 20% YoY.

that is the key.

iPhone unit sales don't mean crap long term.

GROW the USER base.
    Then sell SERVICES.
    That is the future.

Only those with VISION know this.
    Every company from IBM to Dell to HP is doing that. How innovative.
  • Reply 78 of 163
    Cook clearly walking back the services narrative from last quarter. Guess he figured out Wall Street called BS on it. Very little discussion of product pipeline so I get the sense 2016 is going to be pretty boring.
  • Reply 79 of 163
    50+ Billion in revenue...I'd hardly call that being negative. This is a class example of why people give the 1% hell. Get over it.
  • Reply 80 of 163
    MathaMatha Posts: 1member
    Why is the glass always half-full for the media? The only way to grab a headline or two?