Updated ambient light, proximity sensors in 'iPhone 7' prohibit use of legacy cases

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Unlike past tick-tock iPhone refresh cycles, Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7" is expected to feature a design largely similar to the current iPhone 6 series, but internal component changes like a "dual specification" ambient light sensor could render existing cases and protective films incompatible.

In preparation of the coming design tweaks, manufacturers of LCD protection films are no longer accepting orders through Alibaba, reports Mac Otakara. A number of firms are peddling "iPhone 7" wares through the e-commerce giant, though it is unclear if the products are based on leaked schematics, inside information or, perhaps more likely, guesswork.

As for the minor design adjustments, the report claims Apple is updating iPhone's proximity sensor to a "dual specification" format that assumedly breaks out emitter and receiver components into two distinct receptacles. Alternatively, Apple might be looking to employ two separate proximity sensor packages for faster and more accurate readings.

Further changes include a repositioning of the ambient light sensor from the left side of the ear speaker to the right. The report mentions a "slightly longer receiver," though it is unclear as to what part the claim is referencing. Mac Otakara was unable to offer additional insight when reached for clarification, though it can be speculated that "receiver" and ear speaker are one in the same.

Finally, the "iPhone 7" chassis is expected to make room for iterative technology updates, the most apparent being a larger rear-facing iSight camera lens on the 4.7-inch version and a dual-camera array on the larger 5.5-inch model.

The new information lines up with a Wall Street Journal report published on Tuesday claiming Apple skipped a major design revamp as it awaits technological advancements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Ha -- so the rumor is no major substantive upgrade, AND the customer still has to replace all of their accessories? Even my SE can use all of my 5s accessories.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 2 of 25
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    mac_128 said:
    Ha -- so the rumor is no major substantive upgrade, AND the customer still has to replace all of their accessories? Even my SE can use all of my 5s accessories.
    If it's no substantive upgrade how many current 6/S owners will be upgrading? And what do you mean by "all their accessories"? What accessories are there outside of cases?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    mac_128 said:
    If it's no substantive upgrade how many current 6/S owners will be upgrading? And what do you mean by "all their accessories"? What accessories are there outside of cases?
    Screen protectors.
    damonf
  • Reply 4 of 25
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    I haven't used a screen protector since my first year of 4s ownership.  It rode around my pocket alongside change, a nail clipper, key ring.  Never any screen damage, and the tactile feel doesn't suck.

Same goes for my SE.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Somewhat related. People who think everything is going wireless as if the ditching of the jack suddenely makes the idea of wired audio accessory products a thing of the past are sadly mistaken. Everyone I know who has wireless headphones still has a pair or two of wired ones. They fact that they never need to be chartered, have better audio quality and are not as expensive to boot are important factors. That and wired lightning products will increase in popularity and the billions of existing products.
    edited June 2016 damonf
  • Reply 6 of 25
    aylk said:
    Screen protectors.
    Who reuses screen protectors?
    irelandcintosredgeminipalolliver[Deleted User]waverboypatchythepiratemike1nolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Ever heard of a pair of scissors or stanley knife , cmon people be creative! jeez, whiners
  • Reply 8 of 25
    ireland said:
    Somewhat related. People who think everything is going wireless as if the ditching of the jack suddenely makes the idea of wired audio accessory products a thing of the past are sadly mistaken. Everyone I know who has wireless headphones still has a pair or two of wired ones. They fact that they never need to be chartered, have better audio quality and are not as expensive to boot are important factors. That and wired lightning products will increase in popularity and the billions of existing products.
    Interesting, I've never chartered a pair of headphones before but I'll let you know how that goes.
    lolliver[Deleted User]nolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 25
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Off-topic, but I'm starting to think that Apple might drop the numbering scheme this year.
    If the 2016 iPhone is just called "iPhone" it will solve two awkward naming problems:

1. The 2016 iPhones are supposedly not completely refreshed designs.  More like thinner iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.
    So calling them "7" and "7 Plus" would feel wrong.  Because we have been conditioned to expect the next-higher-numbered
    iPhones to have all-new designs.  In a way, the 2016 models will be like faster, thinner versions of the 6S and 6S Plus.
    And there's no way Apple will call them "iPhone 6SS" and "iPhone 6SS Plus."

2. The 2017 iPhones are rumored to be totally redesigned.  If Apple calls this year's iPhones "7" and "7 Plus" then
    they can't call the radically different 2017 models "7S" and "7S Plus."  They would need to call them "8" and "8 Plus,"
    but only a year after the "7" and "7 Plus.". Sure, Apple could just call the 2017 models "iPhone" and "iPhone Plus,"
    but I think that would be a year too late.

It just feels most natural to drop the "tick year" numbers and "tock year" S naming scheme this year.
    This year's iPhone: "the new iPhone."  Next year's iPhone: "the all-new iPhone."
    edited June 2016 cintoslolliverwaverboy
  • Reply 10 of 25
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Coming soon iPhone 20163. 3 for 3rd quarter of the year. and so it goes. Phone naming solved forever.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I'd like to know what's gonna happen when we get to iOS 13+. iOS Thirteen and above sounds a bit clunky. 
  • Reply 12 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    Interesting, I've never chartered a pair of headphones before but I'll let you know how that goes.
    Hardy har.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    sockrolid said:
    Off-topic, but I'm starting to think that Apple might drop the numbering scheme this year.
    If the 2016 iPhone is just called "iPhone" it will solve two awkward naming problems:

1. The 2016 iPhones are supposedly not completely refreshed designs.  More like thinner iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.
    So calling them "7" and "7 Plus" would feel wrong.  Because we have been conditioned to expect the next-higher-numbered
    iPhones to have all-new designs.  In a way, the 2016 models will be like faster, thinner versions of the 6S and 6S Plus.

2. The 2017 iPhones are rumored to be totally redesigned.  If Apple calls this year's iPhones "7" and "7 Plus" then
    they can't call the radically different 2017 models "7S" and "7S Plus."  They would need to call them "8" and "8 Plus,"
    but only a year after the "7" and "7 Plus.". Sure, Apple could just call the 2017 models "iPhone" and "iPhone Plus,"

It just feels most natural to drop the "tick year" numbers and "tock year" S naming scheme this year.
    This year's iPhone: "the new iPhone."  Next year's iPhone: "the all-new iPhone."
    I concur. The iPhone SE is the first non-numbered entry. Apple does not use numbers of the Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Macbook and Macbook Air. Yes, there is something like 5.3 in the details, but not as advertised. Look for iPhone, iPhone SE and iPhone Pro. With a new processor, likely with significant performance increases, why all the "no significant changes" brewHa???
    lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 25
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I just hope that the iPhone 7 will include a 4" version.  My iPhone SE is a big improvement over my iPhone 5S, but I want 3D Touch.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    aylk said:
    Screen protectors.
    Certainly not me. Mine get scratched up so bad from my work environment that reuse is next to impossible. Besides, the accessories are built to the phone specs, not the other way around. If I had to buy a new case, big deal, I just spent the better part of a grand on the phone anyway. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    aylk said:
    Screen protectors.
    Screen protectors are clear.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mac_128 said:
    i knew it, I knew it, I knew it! Somebody would bitch about this. That’s ALL that ever happens around here anymore. Nothing but bitching, disappointment, sadness, disgruntlement, and depression. Just do yourselves a favor and move to Android. You’ll be much happier.
    lolliverpatchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 25
    sockrolid said:

I like the new naming convention you proposed and I hope it's what happens. Now they just need to rename the iPad Air 2 to just iPad and it would simplify that lineup too. Now sure what to do with the MacBook Air though. Improve it and call it MacBook SE? :smiley: 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 19 of 25
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    mac_128 said:
    Oh puhlease... A new phone model requires new cases, oh the horror!
    Are you really serious, or was that just a fantastically lame attempt at trolling

(or perhaps a faux-troll intended to lampoon the trolls (and I/we didn't get the sarcasm?)

The 3G cases didn't fit the iP4 which didn't fit the iP5 which didn't fit the iP6
    And guess what? Odds are that the iP6 cases won't fit the 7

patchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 20 of 25
    hexclock said:
    Certainly not me. Mine get scratched up so bad from my work environment that reuse is next to impossible. Besides, the accessories are built to the phone specs, not the other way around. If I had to buy a new case, big deal, I just spent the better part of a grand on the phone anyway. 
    My cases don't seem to last that long anyway. I'm basically limping this poor Apple leather case to the finish line in September, where I'll get a new case to go with a new phone.