YouTube is now trash

Posted:
in Genius Bar
The advertising on YouTube is now so intrusive it is obnoxious. A little advertising was acceptable but Google wanting you to sit through a fifteen minute infomercial to see a ten minute video is insane. Granted most ads are a minute long and you can skip them after a few seconds but really? A commercial before every video is annoying considering the quality of most videos is not that great and I won't finish watching them. No thank you.

Yes I read about YouTube Red but for how much I watch YouTube it certainly isn't worth the price of a Netflix subscription.

/endRant

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,817member
    daven said:
    The advertising on YouTube is now so intrusive it is obnoxious. A little advertising was acceptable but Google wanting you to sit through a fifteen minute infomercial to see a ten minute video is insane. Granted most ads are a minute long and you can skip them after a few seconds but really? A commercial before every video is annoying considering the quality of most videos is not that great and I won't finish watching them. No thank you.

Yes I read about YouTube Red but for how much I watch YouTube it certainly isn't worth the price of a Netflix subscription.

/endRant
    If you take a subscription to Google Music then YouTube Red is free. Just a thought.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    davendaven Posts: 397member
    gatorguy said:
    daven said:

/endRant
    If you take a subscription to Google Music then YouTube Red is free. Just a thought.
    I'll pass. I listen to my owned iTunes music or the radio when I want to listen to music. I have no use for another monthly bill.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,817member
    daven said:
    gatorguy said:
    daven said:

/endRant
    I'll pass. I listen to my owned iTunes music or the radio when I want to listen to music. I have no use for another monthly bill.
    Perfectly understand. There's lots of free music available. No need spending money on anything you're not likely to use, just wanted to mention it for those that are into streaming music and really enjoy Youtube too but not the ads. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 5 of 7
    davendaven Posts: 397member
    gatorguy said:
    daven said:
    gatorguy said:
    daven said:

/endRant
    Perfectly understand. There's lots of free music available. No need spending money on anything you're not likely to use, just wanted to mention it for those that are into streaming music and really enjoy Youtube too but not the ads. 
    I listen to classic country on Heartland NPR using the Internet station option on my Denon receiver. Every once in a while they have a pledge drive and I toss in $5 which is a much better deal than any streaming service and there are no commercials or political talk shows. It really makes for a more relaxing experience.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I do not care if need to wait a few second before i can skip the ads, but sometimes, the ads cannot be skip, and i think the advertiser pay high to Google for this kind of ads because the "guaranteed" view impression
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sphericspheric Posts: 1,161member
    The uploader of the video can decide whether ads should be shown before, during, or after the video, and also whether they are skippable or not. The advertiser has no say in this.
    gatorguy