Apple Park's campus auditorium named 'Steve Jobs Theater,' opens later in year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2017
As part of the new "spaceship" campus, now called "Apple Park," Apple is commemorating its legendary cofounder, naming the auditorium that overlooks the facility "Steve Jobs Theater."

In announcing the Apple Park name and April opening on Tuesday, Apple also said that the 1,000-seat auditorium located at the headquarters will be named in honor of Jobs, who died in 2011. This Friday, Feb. 24 would have been his 62nd birthday.

The entrance to the auditorium is a 20-foot-tall glass cylinder that measures 165 feet in diameter, and supports a metallic carbon-fiber roof.

"Steve's vision for Apple stretched far beyond his time with us. He intended Apple Park to be the home of innovation for generations to come," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said. "The workspaces and parklands are designed to inspire our team as well as benefit the environment. We've achieved the most energy-efficient building of its kind in the world and the campus will run entirely on renewable energy."

The Steve Jobs Theater is on top of a hill, one of the highest points within Apple Park, and overlooks the main building.

In announcing the opening of Apple Park, the company also included commentary from Jobs's widow, Laurene Powell Jobs, who said that her husband would have "flourished" alongside staff on the new campus.

"Steve was exhilarated, and inspired, by the California landscape, by its light and its expansiveness." Said Powell Jobs. "It was his favorite setting for thought. Apple Park captures his spirit uncannily well."

In 2011, Jobs announced the project to the world, saying over 12,000 employees would work in what is now called Apple Park. Edible landscaping, walking paths, and other "green" measures are being implemented, to minimize the overall impact the facility makes on the environment.

Much of Campus 2 was conceived by Jobs, who made the project one of his last efforts. In fact, one of his last public appearances involved pitching the idea to the Cupertino City Council.

Apple has referred to Jobs's vision as a "center for creativity and collaboration." The main building, which Jobs told the city council would look like a "spaceship had landed," will feature 2.8 million square feet surrounded by the world's largest panels of cured glass.

An environmentally-friendly design was paramount to Jobs's vision, and Apple's related Phase 2 project adds additional workspace adjacent to the main headquarters, and includes a renewable energy-powered small data center.

A new micro-grid installed on the campus is reportedly capable of handling about 75 percent of the facility's power requirements during work hours, supplemented by Bloom Energy-provided fuel cells. Bloom Energy provided similar cells to Apple previously for use at the North Carolina data center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Steve Jobs deserves more than his name on auditorium. If I was Tim Cook, I would have propose whole campus to his name because he is the who lead, saved Apple from the extinction to today's great company we admire.
    edited February 2017 anantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 29
    wood1208 said:
    Steve Jobs deserves more than his name on auditorium. If I was Tim Cook, I would have propose whole campus to his name because he is the who lead, saved Apple from the extinction to today's great company we admire.
    While I admire Steve Jobs tremendously I feel this is adequate recognition. No man is more important than the company as a whole so feel it would be inappropriate to overshadow the company with his name.
    fastasleepireland
  • Reply 3 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    wood1208 said:
    While I admire Steve Jobs tremendously I feel this is adequate recognition. No man is more important than the company as a whole so feel it would be inappropriate to overshadow the company with his name.

Agreed. While Steve Jops had the vision and charisma (appropriate that the theater be named after him) it was all the other talented people at Apple that made the vision a reality.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 29
    and here is the official video, no thanks to AI.

StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator

That's not the official video, which is why we didn't publish it.

There isn't one.
    fastasleepbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 6 of 29
    wood1208 said:
    I think they got it right. The presentations were where Jobs was the world's best at what he did. Jobs hated putting the past in amber to constantly revere, so honoring his name on the theater works.
    Solianomepaxman
  • Reply 7 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    wood1208 said:
    The company is called Apple, Inc, not Steve Jobs, Inc. What they did is sufficient. I'm sure there are plenty of Steve Jobs' visions inside the Apple Park building. 
    Solipatchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Steve getting the theatre named after him makes perfect sense.

2) If April is really the demarcation point for the majority of employees it does mean there are teams that have been there setting up and testing (at least) server equipment near their offices.

3) I can't wait for the 4K drone videos for March, likely coming this weekend. I had hoped the rumoured March event for the iPads would happen at the new theatre since it looks complete on the exterior and the parking garages next door are done, but it's looking like the Fall event will be the first, unless the upcoming drone video shows an atypical high planting of grass and trees planted around the auditorium, then we could speculate that they want to use the Steve Jobs Theater soon.
    edited February 2017 SpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Soli said:

2) If April is really the demarcation point for the majority of employees it does mean there are teams that have been there setting up and testing (at least) server equipment near their offices.

2) I can't wait for the 4K drone videos for March, likely coming this weekend. I had hoped the rumoured March event for the iPads would happen at the new theatre since it looks complete on the exterior and the parking garages next door are done, but it's looking like the Fall event will be the first, unless the upcoming drone video shows an atypical high planting of grass and trees planted around the auditorium, then we could speculate that they want to use the Steve Jobs Theater soon.
    Epic rain has been a giant issue. I'm sure some will pop up as the mud dries.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Soli said:

2) I can't wait for the 4K drone videos for March, likely coming this weekend. I had hoped the rumoured March event for the iPads would happen at the new theatre since it looks complete on the exterior and the parking garages next door are done, but it's looking like the Fall event will be the first, unless the upcoming drone video shows an atypical high planting of grass and trees planted around the auditorium, then we could speculate that they want to use the Steve Jobs Theater soon.
    Epic rain has been a giant issue. I'm sure some will pop up as the mud dries.
    Is landscaping not possible when it's raining? I assume using tractors to move and shape large areas of land cold affected, but I'd think you can plant trees effectively.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Nice touch.

I really looked forward to Stevo's Keynotes. The rye comments about Adobe opening slowly, admitting he didn't know much about the inner workings of a new chip design, introducing magsafe so "he" wouldn't be getting damaged laptops returned, BlueTooth, "a bag of hurt," etc., etc.

Also, his obvious delight when the Keynote software added a little graphic touch like a title dropping and kicking up a little cloud of dust.

One of my favorites was when he had to fly back from a vacation in Hawaii to talk about the iPhone 4 "antenna" non-problem.

Anyway, Tim Cook is a class act and this was a good thing to do.

Best.
    edited February 2017 Soli
  • Reply 12 of 29
    If you didn't know any better you'd never even know that Wozniak too contributed to Apple, Woz Theater sounds nice too I think, but all hail the Tuttle necked one
  • Reply 13 of 29

Be nice.
    Soli
  • Reply 14 of 29
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    holyone said:
    If you didn't know any better you'd never even know that Wozniak too contributed to Apple, Woz Theater sounds nice too I think, but all hail the Tuttle necked one
    They should name the fitness center after Woz.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichwelshdog
  • Reply 15 of 29
    quinney said:
    holyone said:
    If any building at Apple should pay an homage to Woz, I'd say it's the separate R&D center.
    holyoneStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

There isn't one.
    Yes there is and that is it. The aforementioned video is on Apple's Newsroom page: http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/02/apple-park-opens-to-employees-in-april.html
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Soli said:
    quinney said:
    holyone said:
    If any building at Apple should pay an homage to Woz, I'd say it's the separate R&D center.
    Yeah, great idea, wonder if Ive would agree since that probably is his castle 
  • Reply 18 of 29
    So it is, I stand corrected! My apologies!

And, as it turns out, we DID publish the video this morning, in the main article that Neil wrote about the whole campus that was published about 10 minutes before this one. This article is about the auditorium.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 19 of 29

There isn't one.
    (edit: late to the party, Mike already addressed this)

edited February 2017
  • Reply 20 of 29

There isn't one.
    Pretty sure it is:

http://www.apple.com/newsroom/embed/videos/?embedvideoid=1487723199912
    See the post just above yours :)

We did post the video, just not in this article.