Apple Park's campus auditorium named 'Steve Jobs Theater,' opens later in year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    holyone said:
    If you didn't know any better you'd never even know that Wozniak too contributed to Apple, Woz Theater sounds nice too I think, but all hail the Tuttle necked one
    Woz did, but decades ago -- before the dark days and the return of Apple 2.0. Modern-day Apple is indebted to Jobs for leading it back into success. 
  • Reply 22 of 29
    holyone said:
    If you didn't know any better you'd never even know that Wozniak too contributed to Apple, Woz Theater sounds nice too I think, but all hail the Tuttle necked one
    Woz did, but decades ago -- before the dark days and the return of Apple 2.0. Modern-day Apple is indebted to Jobs for leading it back into success. 
    Maybe so but there can be no 2.0 without 1.0, is jobs legacy timed as well will his contributions too be lessened decades from now, it could be argued that it was Job's poor hiring decisions that led to Apple's near demise in the first place, but let's not pull at that thread ;) either way thankful for both, without whom the world of personal computing would be a worthless one. 
  • Reply 23 of 29
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    holyone said:

They named the auditorium after Jobs, the showman, who died shortly after getting the project to build this new campus started. Seems appropriate. As others have said, if they wanted to name something after Woz, an R&D centre, or an Engineering lab would be appropriate for him. (Besides, he's still alive, and already has a street in San Jose named after him in recognition of the support he's given the community there.)

If they'd named the entire complex after Jobs, you might have a point, except, as I noted above, this campus was his vision.

Soli
  • Reply 24 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    wood1208 said:
    Steve Jobs deserves more than his name on auditorium. If I was Tim Cook, I would have propose whole campus to his name because he is the who lead, saved Apple from the extinction to today's great company we admire.
    I disagree. Apple is more than Steve Jobs - much more. But to name the theatre after him makes sense and I'd say a great honor. It is the place where new products will be revealed for a very long time to come. Its name will be mentioned by every media outlet world wide whenever there is a new release.  
    Soli
  • Reply 25 of 29
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Soli said:
    2) If April is really the demarcation point for the majority of employees it does mean there are teams that have been there setting up and testing (at least) server equipment near their offices.
    With about six weeks to April, my guess is that there are representatives of several groups on site and getting ready for the moves to the section that will be first occupied.

For sure, this means plant services (electrical, HVAC) as well as anyone dealing with plumbing, etc.

Corporate IT and corporate security have probably been there a while already, making sure keycard entry is working, installing security cameras, making sure that video from those cameras are being properly displayed on monitors, etc. Corporate IT is also there for things like setting up servers, networking, phone systems, checking cabling, wireless networking, installing conference room equipment, etc.

There are probably representatives of the catering company as well, making sure the punchdown list is completed and facilities are operational before they bring in their staff for orientation and training a couple of weeks before the move-in.

Assuming there are people on site already, that means that there is a skeleton security staff as well as janitorial service.
    Soli
  • Reply 26 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mpantone said:
    Soli said:
    2) If April is really the demarcation point for the majority of employees it does mean there are teams that have been there setting up and testing (at least) server equipment near their offices.
    With about six weeks to April, my guess is that there are representatives of several groups on site and getting ready for the moves to the section that will be first occupied.

For sure, this means plant services (electrical, HVAC) as well as anyone dealing with plumbing, etc.

Corporate IT and corporate security have probably been there a while already, making sure keycard entry is working, installing security cameras, making sure that video from those cameras are being properly displayed on monitors, etc. Corporate IT is also there for things like setting up servers, networking, phone systems, checking cabling, wireless networking, installing conference room equipment, etc.

There are probably representatives of the catering company as well, making sure the punchdown list is completed and facilities are operational before they bring in their staff for orientation and training a couple of weeks before the move-in.

Assuming there are people on site already, that means that there is a skeleton security staff as well as janitorial service.
    That's my point. The move in has already started and could have started back in late 2016. I used the IT teams as an example this time, and previously used the employees for the restaurants in a previous article that made it sound like no actual Apple employees would even set foot on the new campus until it was 100% complete. For all we know they've had underground floors completed and fitted with servers with desks setup and connected so they check and test the connections and security aspects you mentioned.

I hadn't mentioned the door security, but they do need those teams to verify those systems and be in place to verify security before those employees move in. While this could be the same teams that will replace a broken keyboard at your desk, in a company that size and with that much secrecy, I doubt it.

We did see the R&D facility had large wood tables installed months ago, and with all the other aspects of the external drone video showing it complete, save for landscaping, it's possible some of Ive's team have moved in.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    RDF generator installation must be complete! :smiley: 
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Soli said:
    mpantone said:
    Soli said:

That's my point. The move in has already started and could have started back in late 2016. I used the IT teams as an example this time, and previously used the employees for the restaurants in a previous article that made it sound like no actual Apple employees would even set foot on the new campus until it was 100% complete. For all we know they've had underground floors completed and fitted with servers with desks setup and connected so they check and test the connections and security aspects you mentioned.

I hadn't mentioned the door security, but they do need those teams to verify those systems and be in place to verify security before those employees move in. While this could be the same teams that will replace a broken keyboard at your desk, in a company that size and with that much secrecy, I doubt it.

We did see the R&D facility had large wood tables installed months ago, and with all the other aspects of the external drone video showing it complete, save for landscaping, it's possible some of Ive's team have moved in.
    I don't know who would write such a thing that no employee would actually step foot on the campus until 100% complete, that doesn't make sense for all of the reasons I've explained plus many more.

Apple management considers the relocation of engineering groups, not support staff to be the moment when the actual move commences. That's fine, it's their building, they can say whatever they want. During the ribbon cutting ceremony, perhaps hundreds of people who have facelessly and tirelessly prepped the building for normal occupation will just watch from the sidelines as Tim presents the first group to move in (probably iPhone hardware engineering or iOS software engineering).

A corporate move-in isn't the same as moving into a new apartment with bare white walls, no Internet, no toilet paper and no furniture.

On move day, cubicles will already be built and assigned, live network and telecom jacks will be punched down, etc., all of this prep so there is the least amount of downtime for the engineers who will call this their new home.

There's no way that all 12,000 employees will move in over the same weekend, again highlighting the "no one moves in until 100% complete" poppycock. I guess some people have never worked at a big, professionally run company.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mpantone said:
    Soli said:
    mpantone said:
    Soli said:

I don't know who would write such a thing that no employee would actually step foot on the campus until 100% complete…
    No, it doesn't, yet that has been the common comment on this boards.