Apple has been working on rumored 'iPhone 8' facial recognition solution for at least 3 ye...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2017
An Apple patent application published Thursday details a method of unlocking a mobile device using facial image and depth data gleaned from specialized sensors and cameras, lending credence to rumors that the company is developing facial recognition systems to augment, or replace, Touch ID fingerprint scanning.

Source: USPTO

As published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday, Apple's patent application for "Embedded authentication systems in an electronic device," filed for in 2013, details advanced facial recognition techniques for authenticating owners using portable devices.

In particular, the claims -- and not the following summary or detailed description -- explain methods of capturing 2D image and corresponding depth data of a user's face by combining information gathered by a visible light image sensor, an infrared sensor and a three-dimensional capture system. Apple's invention also allows for the inclusion of an ultra-violet sensor, a scanning laser, an ultrasound sensor and similar equipment.

In practice, authentication software contains instructions for detecting a user's face opposite one or more of the included imaging sensors. In response to detecting a face, the visible light, infrared and 3D capture devices gather image data for local processing.

Apple notes the 3D capture device might collect data relating to the contour of the user's eye sockets, chin, nose or a combination of those facial features. Texture analysis may also be employed to detect unique lines, patterns or spots on a user's skin. Further, infrared light emitted by the system might be reflected by a user's eyes and captured by one or more sensors.

Facial attributes detected in captured image data are compared against a library of authorized users for authentication. Importantly, the patent application notes the techniques described can be used to unlock a portable device, like an iPhone.

Perhaps not coincidentally, a nearly identical list of hardware is predicted for inclusion in Apple's upcoming "iPhone 8."

KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in an investor note earlier this year said "iPhone 8," or "iPhone Pro," would integrate a "revolutionary" front-facing camera system capable of 3D sensing and modeling.

Like today's published invention, the rumored iPhone solution incorporates an actively aligned IR transmitter, specifically a VCSEL laser, and IR receiver alongside the usual RGB FaceTime camera. In this arrangement, the VCSEL laser and receiver subsystem acts as a depth sensor by calculating the distance to a target using light pulses and time of flight (TOF) measurements.

Earlier this month, a Bloomberg report claimed Apple is working to replace fingerprint scanning with facial recognition technology, though the solution might not debut this year. The supposed system is fast, it takes only milliseconds to recognize and authenticate a user, and is said to be more secure than current Touch ID technology found on iPhone, iPad and Mac.

While competitors in the smartphone space have rolled out their own face-based authentication systems, like Samsung's new Galaxy S8, Apple has been reluctant to adopt similar technology. Security concerns are thought to play a major role in the company's decision not to include facial recognition in iPhone.

For example, at the Galaxy S8 launch event in March, a YouTuber was able to defeat the handset's optical facial recognition feature using a digital photograph displayed -- ironically -- on another S8.

Samsung was quick to point out that the function is not meant for high-level security. Facial recognition on the Galaxy S8 is limited to opening a locked handset, while more secure biometric assets like the onboard iris scanner and fingerprint reader are used to access Samsung Pay and sensitive information stored in the phone's Secure Folder.

Thanks to its depth mapping capabilities, Apple's facial recognition solution is much more secure than those relying solely on optical data. A nefarious user would not be able to spoof an authenticated face using a 2D digital photo, for example. Still, it is unclear whether Apple intends to deploy the facial recognition feature as a Touch ID replacement or an augmentation to the fingerprint scanning tech.

Whatever the case, "iPhone 8" might arrive with 3D sensing disabled. A report this week claims engineers are facing issues with software designed to govern advanced handset functions like the specialized front-facing camera and wireless charging. If the problems are not rectified in time, Apple might release the handset without those features enabled, then activate them at a later date via a software update.

Today's patent application is the descendent of a string of filings dating back to 2007. Interestingly, compared to the most recently published document, a 2013 patent grant for U.S. Patent No. 9,519,771, Apple only updated the claims portion of the filing, leaving the summary and detailed description sections largely untouched. Notably, the Thursday publication contains only a few references to the facial recognition technology outlined in its claims, with a bulk of the text focusing on general screen unlocking methods, biometric authentication using fingerprint data, vein patterns, voice recognition and other related techniques.

Apple's 3D facial recognition patent application was first filed for in December 2013 and credits Tony Fadell, Andrew Hodge, Stephan Schell, Ruben Caballero, Jesse Lee Dorogusker, Stephen Zadesky and Emery Sanford as its inventors. Fadell, known as the "father of the iPod," exited Apple in 2008, while Zadesky, another high-ranking executive rumored to be in charge of Apple's self-driving car project, left the company last year.
SpamSandwich

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    I was thinking of upgrading my iPhone 7 Plus if the new phone is really exciting. However, if Touch ID is replaced with this facial recognition only, I won't. I don't want someone to be able to unlock my phone by holding it at my face.
    williamlondonScot1
  • Reply 2 of 43
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    Plus the Phone will be $1300. I will be getting the 7S+.
    Avieshekwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I was thinking of upgrading my iPhone 7 Plus if the new phone is really exciting. However, if Touch ID is replaced with this facial recognition only, I won't. I don't want someone to be able to unlock my phone by holding it at my face.
    If someone is holding your phone at your face, presumably against your will, then I suggest that having your phone unlocked may be the least of your problems. 
    slprescottmuthuk_vanalingammwhitetmaylkruppMetriacanthosauruswilliamlondonRonnnieO78BanditStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

DilirX said:
    Could you point me to the official Apple price list where you found that $1300 figure?

No? Thought not. 
    mwhitelkruppwilliamlondonRonnnieOStrangeDayspscooter63stanthemanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    going forward with this next leg in technology the cream will rise to the top and distance themselves even further from wanna bees and their me too, high price tags (i.e.: Google Pixel). It will be harder and harder to keep up with Apple and dup the public into thinking they are on the same level as Apple
    edited July 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    How do we know that this patent relates to tech that will be in the new iPhone?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Rayz2016 said:
    If someone is holding your phone at your face, presumably against your will, then I suggest that having your phone unlocked may be the least of your problems. 
    True, but why compound the problem?  I can't personally see (though I've been wrong before) a huge demand for being able to unlock one's phone with one's face, so I suspect, if it turns out to be a thing, that will only be one application of the technology when it's released.  I'll be disabling it for phone unlock, even if I use it for other things, anyway, since LEO has amply demonstrated that they only care about people's rights when they're forced to do so by the courts, and even the courts have sided with them on some violations.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Rayz2016 said:
    True, but why compound the problem?  I can't personally see (though I've been wrong before) a huge demand for being able to unlock one's phone with one's face, so I suspect, if it turns out to be a thing, that will only be one application of the technology when it's released.  I'll be disabling it for phone unlock, even if I use it for other things, anyway, since LEO has amply demonstrated that they only care about people's rights when they're forced to do so by the courts, and even the courts have sided with them on some violations.
    If you're someone who's paranoid about someone holding your phone to your face against your will, I'm 100% sure this is a feature that can be disabled. Also, if someone can do this to you, they can no doubt hold your finger against the home button against your will as well. Not only that, they could also force you to give them your passcode, if we're going down that road. 
    edited July 2017 williamlondonRonnnieOStrangeDayspscooter63Scot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If you had a gun to your head you would use your fingerprint too I imagine.
    MetriacanthosauruswilliamlondonStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 43
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Hoo boy, cue the severed-finger crowd...

Next up: Can I use my toe -- I mean, my pet's face -- instead?
    pscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Face ID is going to be a great user experience that exceeds Touch ID by miles.

Keep in mind people, Touch ID and this rumored product are convenience features. They are not security features. Your iPhone is only as secure as the passcode that is set. It can never be more secure than that. It can possibly be less secure than that, to the extent to which it is possible to spoof Touch ID or Face ID, but that is not a problem in the real world.

In real world, unlocking iPhone 8 is going to be as simple as touching it and looking at it --  a paltry requirement, as that is what translates to using the phone.

I imagine there will be gesture that activates the Face ID scan...probably a 3D touch anywhere on the display. This makes it a little more deliberate, and less conducive to the (unrealistic) notion of someone else "pointing your phone at your face".
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Yes, there's no doubt at all that the rumored Face ID that we don't even know will be used to authenticate a device if it's offered at all, and that none of us have been advised on how it will work, what devices will have it and what purpose it serves, assuming it's real and offered this year...

is amazing!
     Far better than Touch ID. Miles better. 

/s
  • Reply 13 of 43
    DilirX said:
    $1300???? Last week it was $1200. Oh well that's inflation for you :)
    StrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looks like the rumors were true once again.

In addition to unlock convenience (a feature I personally have no interest in), this will instantly make iPhone/iOS the leading edge 3-D data gathering product/method in the world. Should in turn make their already very exciting AR work an unquestioned success.

Should also render the method of single-camera lens depth simulation using machine learning largely a relic of the past.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 15 of 43
    gatorguy said:
    Yes, there's no doubt at all that the rumored Face ID that we don't even know will be used to authenticate a device if it's offered at all, and that none of us have been advised on how it will work, what devices will have it and what purpose it serves, assuming it's real and offered this year...

is amazing!

/s
    You're sorely lacking in imagination apparently. It doesn't take much understanding of Apple, the last few months of rumors and patent filings, and little common sense to arrive at what I posted. Just wait and see.
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 43

In addition to unlock convenience (a feature I personally have no interest in), this will instantly make iPhone/iOS the leading edge 3-D data gathering product/method in the world. Should in turn make their already very exciting AR work an unquestioned success.

Should also render the method of single-camera lens depth simulation using machine learning largely a relic of the past.
    How can you say you have no interest in unlock convenience? It is one of the most important features of the device. It is what forces users to be smart and passcode protect their devices. Prior to Touch ID, the user adoption of passcode was worse than users that manually backup their files.

If your argument is actually that you have plenty of interest in it, in the sense that you think Touch ID is good enough, that's another story. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:

is amazing!

/s
    You're sorely lacking in imagination apparently. It doesn't take much understanding of Apple, the last few months of rumors and patent filings, and little common sense to arrive at what I posted. Just wait and see.
    Excellent advice!
  • Reply 18 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

How can you say you have no interest in unlock convenience? It is one of the most important features of the device. It is what forces users to be smart and passcode protect their devices. Prior to Touch ID, the user adoption of passcode was worse than users that manually backup their files.

If your argument is actually that you have plenty of interest in it, in the sense that you think Touch ID is good enough, that's another story. 
    I have no interest in providing law enforcement with additional methods to violate privacy rights. If so ordered by a court, one may be compelled by law enforcement to unlock ones phone with their face or fingerprint, not a password. Whether one is charged or guilty of anything is beside the point. I believe individual constitutional privacy and property rights supersede the interests of the state.
    edited July 2017 rotateleftbyte
  • Reply 19 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'm only teasing here ...  presumably this is while you are tied to a chair and after the beatings by Kiefer Sutherland to make you give up your Apple user ID and password.  I think this falls into the same category of worries of fingers being cut off to circumvent touch ID. BTW I watch all the Marvel stuff on Netflix so i am an expert on these issues ;)
    StrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 43

I have no interest in providing law enforcement with additional methods to violate privacy rights. If so ordered by a court, one may be compelled by law enforcement to unlock ones phone with their face or fingerprint, not a password. Whether one is charged or guilty of anything is beside the point. I believe individual constitutional privacy and property rights supersede the interests of the state.
    There is no law requiring you use Touch ID or Face ID on your iPhone. If you are planning on breaking the law and are concerned about your phone being lawfully searched as a result, I would suggest not using these convenience features.
    baconstangwatto_cobraanton zuykov