HomePod firmware points to 'iPhone 8' split status bar, tap to wake, embedded Touch ID in ...

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
Digging deeper into HomePod firmware that was released over the weekend, developer Steven Troughton-Smith is coming up with additional details surrounding Apple's next-generation iPhone, including what could be confirmation of a split status bar user interface and a new "tap to wake" feature.

Image credit: Nodus and Gordon Kelly

Troughton-Smith in a tweet on Monday notes code points he uncovered identify a new visual provider system for the UIStatusBar, including a "split" option that would presumably divide status information like cellular connectivity, battery capacity, Wi-Fi strength and more into two sections.

The information dovetails with previous leaks that suggest "iPhone 8" will sport a large central cutout at the top of the display to make space for an earpiece, front-facing FaceTime camera and specialized sensors that enable 3D sensing. An image thought to show a silhouette of the next-gen device, pulled from the same HomePod firmware, seems to confirm a split status bar design.

Troughton-Smith adds that the status bar "seems a lot more complex and powerful in design, maybe even interactive," but fails to elaborate on potential functionality.

In a separate tweet, the developer notes a distinct lack of new assets that would betray the inclusion of an embedded Touch ID module.

"For what it's worth I've seen nothing to suggest an ultrasound under-the-display Touch ID here. Looks like not this year. Quash that one," Troughton-Smith said.

An embedded fingerprint reader is one of "iPhone 8's" more eagerly -- and frequently -- cited rumors, but exactly how Apple intends to implement the technology remains unclear. Aside from ultrasound tech, the company could feasibly apply an advanced under-glass optical sensing solution similar to current Touch ID iterations.

Still, as Troughton-Smith points out, the firmware would require new UI assets for directing user interactions. The developer has yet to find evidence of such code, casting doubt on an embedded solution arriving this fall.

Whether the device will incorporate under-glass Touch ID is up for debate, but a full-screen display sans home button seems to be confirmed. Instead of a physical part, code suggests Apple is likely to employ a virtual home button called the "home indicator" that can be hidden depending on the situation. Related to home button graphics is a new "dock" UI Troughton-Smith discovered in code for the soft keyboard. He believes the new UI could signal a shift of certain buttons like the international keyboard and emoji (globe icon) and voice input (microphone icon) buttons to the new home button area.

Elsewhere in the HomePod code are hints at ARKit and Photos integration with the rumored 3D-sensing FaceTime camera. Developer Guilherme Rambo found strings related to the detection of facial expressions and features like smiles, frowns, puckers and dimples.

Also discovered was reference to "tap to wake," which could be similar in function to a feature introduced with Microsoft Lumia devices running Windows Phone. Those smartphones allowed users to wake their device with a quick double tap on the screen.

Apple is expected to debut "iPhone 8" in September alongside incremental improvements to the iPhone 7 series. The new flagship is rumored to come jam packed with new features and functionality including the aforementioned 3D-sensing FaceTime camera, full-face OLED display, wireless charging and AR capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    iPhone 8 is going to be disruptive, second only to the transformational 2007 original.
    Wallet open and ready.
    edited August 2017 SnickersMagoowatto_cobralolliverRacerhomieX
  • Reply 2 of 32
    $5 says they will implement face-detection emoji's. Tap a button while making a face to instantly drop the emoji into a message.
    $10 says there will be an option for the virtual home indicator to be permanently on, thanks to OLED technology. Will be grey in color, so as to not use as much battery life, or customizable. 
    Always on clock, or more info (within the status bar) and possibly recent notifications, if you so choose.
    Soli1983EsquireCats[Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Blacks are really good for an LCD on the iPhone, but It would be really nice to have and micro-LED display so that the center of the status bar melds with the rest of it, not unlike the Watch border.

2) It's interesting that all this is coming from a HomePod update. What am I not understanding about why this data is part of the HomePod firmware?
    doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 4 of 32
    bluefire1 said:
    iPhone 8 is going to be disruptive, second only to the transformational 2007 original.
    Wallet open and ready.
    As always, I'll reserve final judgement until it's at least demoed on stage. I'm not sure I want to give up Touch ID, but I also can't image Apple would give it up unless they had something at least parallel in convenience. There are examples when Apple has dropped down a rung or two because of long term strategies, but usually that's not with HW.

$5 says they will implement face-detection emoji's. Tap a button while making a face to instantly drop the emoji into a message.
    As frivolous as that seems to me, it does seem like something Apple would do. Nice work thinking about how Apple may market just how advanced their system is.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,289member

$10 says there will be an option for the virtual home indicator to be permanently on, thanks to OLED technology. Will be grey in color, so as to not use as much battery life, or customizable. 
    Always on clock, or more info (within the status bar) and possibly recent notifications, if you so choose.
    $10 Says clock colour will shift during the day based on Do not distrub and night shift modes.  Even react to your alarm setting to get brighter close to alarm time.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

What a completely useless and totally fantastic idea! The kids will love it!
    vadimyuryevSoli[Deleted User]Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Rayz2016 said:

What a completely useless and totally fantastic idea! The kids will love it!
    Right?! If they haven't done that, and the technology is good enough to detect emot-jis then they really should. It's not like Apple hasn't offered up useless, animated emojis in the past with the Apple Watch. At least this would help sell the technology.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Has it been explained why HomePod code contains all these juicy details about the anniversary iPhone?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Digging deeper into HomePod firmware that was released over the weekend, developer Steven Troughton-Smith is coming up with additional details surrounding Apple's next-generation iPhone, including what could be confirmation of a split status bar user interface and a new "tap to wake" feature.
    Ok, the doubting thomas that lurks inside me wonders why Apple released firmware for an unreleased product?
    Why would it contain details of devices that the firmware was NOT configured for?

Could this all be a ruse on Apple's part?

I remain unconvinced and fully expect that there is someone somewhere inside the 'flying donut' who is laughing their heads of at all this collective angst/pondering and whishful thinking.

Oh, and the target price for the iPhone 8 seems to have risen to $1400 on a good number of sites. Why no debate on that eh?

edited August 2017 doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 10 of 32
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    No Touch ID at all or Touch ID on the back of the phone = no sale for me. I’ll keep my 7.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Has it been explained why HomePod code contains all these juicy details about the anniversary iPhone?
    I don't even see why Apple released the HomePod firmware. It's not as though it will support apps so why do developers need to see the code? And then, as you say, why does HomePod need these assets? You would expect the graphics (e.g. of the iPhone) to appear in the phone/pad app that controls the HomePod, not in the HomePod itself (that has no display).

I assume that this is all legitimate, it's certainly sophisticated if it's not. I'm also surprised that the firmware isn't under NDA, the product isn't even released until Christmas.

Must have missed something here.

[Just seen Rotateleftbyte's comment - we are on similar lines here...]
    edited August 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Touch ID will NOT be on the back....I think they have solved the fingerprint reader under glass...
    watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 32
    robjnrobjn Posts: 275member
    I'm not sure what "UI asset" Troughton Smith and co expect to find for embedded TouchID?

It appears that the device with the new 22% taller display will allow for a newly designed navigation bar at the bottom which will contain the home button and other assets such as the back button that you commonly see in the current top navigation bar. This solves the problem of people not being able to reach the navigation bar easily at the top of the screen. Could this not be implemented with current assets? It's not a new navigation bar - just given a different location and a home button on some new iPhones.

Months ago Kuo spoke of a "function area" on the new display hardware. There is no way the display manufacturer needs to know anything about software plans, like moving the navigation bar. Therefore, this "function area" must have some hardware significance and if that "function area" is at the bottom of the screen and not the top, what could that be other than an embedded TouchID?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    jay3000jay3000 Posts: 21member
    Touch ID will NOT be on the back....I think they have solved the fingerprint reader under glass...
    But doesn't the article say he see no code for it?
  • Reply 15 of 32
    No Touch ID at all or Touch ID on the back of the phone = no sale for me. I’ll keep my 7.
    Fair enough. 
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Ok, the doubting thomas that lurks inside me wonders why Apple released firmware for an unreleased product?
    Why would it contain details of devices that the firmware was NOT configured for?

Could this all be a ruse on Apple's part?

I remain unconvinced and fully expect that there is someone somewhere inside the 'flying donut' who is laughing their heads of at all this collective angst/pondering and whishful thinking.

Oh, and the target price for the iPhone 8 seems to have risen to $1400 on a good number of sites. Why no debate on that eh?

Agreed. There was no need to put all that info in the Homepod firmware. They could have just upgraded it after the phone's release. 

I think Apple is trying to manage expectations. 
  • Reply 17 of 32
    The HomePod firmware or at least this version of it was probably released inadvertently- a miscommunication within Apple.

As I understand it, the HomePod essentially runs a version of iOS, so this firmware apparently contains OS assets that relate to all the devices that run on iOS - even though they are irrelevant to the function of the HomePod.

Certain code and assets have probably been deliberately left out of the iOS 11 betas but somehow they slipped through in this HomePod firmware.
    netmage
  • Reply 18 of 32
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

That is GENIUS and something that the kiddos would definitely eat up.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    This new navigation bar/home button bar at the bottom is interesting. How will it behave when scrolling? Will it disappear as you scroll down to give you a bigger screen then come back with a little flick up?

Apparently, code has been discovered that reveals this home button bar will take on certain keyboard assets when the keyboard is on screen, such as the emoji button.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    How did this guy get the firmware again? And what is meant by firmware anyway - is this not just an OS?