HomePod firmware points to 'iPhone 8' split status bar, tap to wake, embedded Touch ID in ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    asdasd said:
    How did this guy get the firmware again? And what is meant by firmware anyway - is this not just an OS?
    Apple posted it.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    robjn said:
    asdasd said:
    How did this guy get the firmware again? And what is meant by firmware anyway - is this not just an OS?
    Apple posted it.
    To where? What was exactly posted? 

Theres very little explanation of that, just Stroughton Smith's hacking. 
  • Reply 23 of 32
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Heres what ARKit could do I think. 

Since the camera recognises facial expressions. people could transmit not themselves but an animated avatar. 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    asdasd said:
    robjn said:
    asdasd said:
    Apple posted it.
    To where? What was exactly posted? 

Theres very little explanation of that, just Stroughton Smith's hacking. 
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Touch ID will NOT be on the back....I think they have solved the fingerprint reader under glass...
    They solved by not designing it in the first place. There is no Touch ID on iPhone 8. It has been replaced by Face ID. That much is abundantly obvious to anyone willing to see it at this point.

No Touch ID at all or Touch ID on the back of the phone = no sale for me. I’ll keep my 7.
    Well then get cozy with your 7 because it won't have Touch ID. Why would it, when Face ID will accomplish the same thing with a nearly identical user experience? 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What is more fascinating here is that Homepod has a fairly complete operating system.   Combined with some solid AI support this could result in a device that can replace many computing devices.     Imagine waking up in the morning and asking Homepod for your appointment schedule or have it read priority E-Mails while you prep breakfast.  

I can see this device eventually morphing into the home computer of science fiction.   It might take a revision or two and a much faster processor but combined with Homekit this could be a driver for home automation from Apple.  After all for some of this home automation to work well you will need two way communications.    What better way to do this than via a high performance speaker system.  
  • Reply 27 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    asdasd said:
    Heres what ARKit could do I think. 

Since the camera recognises facial expressions. people could transmit not themselves but an animated avatar. 
    Apple did buy the tech to implement something like this.  
    doozydozenasdasd
  • Reply 28 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    No Touch ID at all or Touch ID on the back of the phone = no sale for me. I’ll keep my 7.
    Says someone who hasn’t EVEN SEEN THE REPLACEMENT. Your statement is the very definition of close minded ignorance. 

Im quite certain this time next year you’ll have one, and find something else to poo poo. Storage or upsells or some nonsense. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    $5 says they will implement face-detection emoji's. Tap a button while making a face to instantly drop the emoji into a message.
    $10 says there will be an option for the virtual home indicator to be permanently on, thanks to OLED technology. Will be grey in color, so as to not use as much battery life, or customizable. 
    Always on clock, or more info (within the status bar) and possibly recent notifications, if you so choose.

I love your ideas! Face emoji's are fine. I just hope Sir Patrick Stewart doesn't inspire people to start pointing their iPhones at poop...

Solivadimyuryev
  • Reply 30 of 32
    With the billions spent on R&D is kind of embarrassing they cant figure out the Touch ID issue - keep in mind these phones are designed 2-3 years in advance so theyve has plenty of time to get it done right.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    My guess is that the 8 will feature facial recognition as well as a new touch pattern to unlock, whereas the 7s will have traditional Touch ID unlock.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:

2) It's interesting that all this is coming from a HomePod update. What am I not understanding about why this data is part of the HomePod firmware?
    Supposition from those that know far more about Apple marketing than most of us do is that it's a way for Apple to "keep the fires stoked" for upcoming product without going on the record which would break with their perceived secrecy when it comes to unreleased software and hardware. In other words controlled leaks. 
    https://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/14/how-apples-controlled-leak-policy-keeps-us-hooked/