New German law mandates opening up Apple Pay NFC tech to rivals

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
German legislators have rushed new legislation through that could force Apple to provide access to its NFC chip, allowing competitors to provide their own mobile payment platforms on the iPhone and Apple Watch.

Apple Pay in Germany

In a late-night session on Wednesday, a German parliamentary committee suddenly voted to pressure Apple into to offering Apple Pay to rival providers in Germany.

It came in the form of an amendment to an anti-money laundering law that was adopted late Thursday and is set to come into effect early next year. While the law didn't specifically name Apple, it would require any operator or an electronic money infrastructure to offer access to rivals at a reasonable fee.

The legislation reflects Germany's increasing willingness to loosen U.S. technology companies' control on technology products and services.

"We are surprised at how suddenly this legislation was introduced," Apple said of the matter. "We fear that the draft law could be harmful to user friendliness, data protection and the security of financial information."

A person close to the government coalition had told Reuters that Chancellor Angela Merkel's office had pushed for the committee to withdraw the amendment.

The Chancellor's move had raised concerns from Germany's Social Democratic Party.

"It's quite unusual for the Chancellor's office to try and stop something in the last minute," said Jens Zimmermann, a senior lawmaker from the Social Democrats (SPD), junior coalition partners to Merkel's conservatives.

"It would be astonishing if they let themselves be reined back by an American company," he added. "We want fair competition between payment providers."

Apple Pay has been rapidly expanding across the globe in the last few years. Germany first saw Apple Pay in December of 2018.

Apple has also been targeted by an anti-competitive investigation by the European Commission regarding the choice to limit the NFC chip to Apple Pay.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    I'm not American.

Still, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by what I see as an egregious anti-American bias by various governments in the EU nowadays.

People who claim that Apple somehow has a "monopoly" are using specious logic.  Apple competes with numerous other platforms, each of which contains an ecosystem combining hardware and software.  Apple no more has a monopoly on its own software than Ford has a monopoly on the software running in its cars.

StrangeDayspujones1MacProjahbladenetmageanantksundaramMacQcstompylordjohnwhorfinurahara
  • Reply 2 of 90
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 618member
    I'm not American.

Still, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by what I see as an egregious anti-American bias by various governments in the EU nowadays.

People who claim that Apple somehow has a "monopoly" are using specious logic.  Apple competes with numerous other platforms, each of which contains an ecosystem combining hardware and software.  Apple no more has a monopoly on its own software than Ford has a monopoly on the software running in its cars.

The Apple ecosystem is a major contributing factor as to why people buy their products. They may have to capitulate on this nonsense, but it won't matter as it is highly unlikely anyone would use the alternative. In terms of market share versus Android they are the underdog. If you want to go after company start with Google who creates and maintains Android.
    javacowboyjahbladelostkiwithrangcat52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 90
    Apple no more has a monopoly on its own software than Ford has a monopoly on the software running in its cars.

It doesn't matter that they're not a monopoly. Your business can be subject to regulation regardless.
    spice-boyronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 90
    "It would be astonishing if they let themselves be reined back by an American company," he added. "We want fair competition between payment providers."

Fair competition would mean other providers building their own hardware to compete or partnering with other hardware providers to compete. Not forcing a non-majority device maker to implement their competing software. 
    edited November 2019 netmagerobin huberpscooter63applesnorangesroundaboutnowviclauyycn2itivguywatto_cobrasarthos
  • Reply 5 of 90
    Apple no more has a monopoly on its own software than Ford has a monopoly on the software running in its cars.
    It doesn't matter that they're not a monopoly. Your business can be subject to regulation regardless. 
    Of course. Regulation is whatever a society decides it is. But we’re discussing whether it’s logical and fair, as is the argument made. 
    jahbladenetmageanantksundaramchiauraharapscooter63applesnorangesroundaboutnowd_2n2itivguy
  • Reply 6 of 90
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Oh no, triggered, outraged that other countries dare have laws which do not fully embrace Apple, because snowflake Apple although the richest company in the world might disappear if anyone ask anything of it, beleaguered days will soon be upon us again. 
    williamlondonsingularity
  • Reply 7 of 90
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Even if they do open it up, no one is going to use the banks own wallet because it’s no going to be as seamless as it is now with Apple Pay, where you just hold your phone up to the NFC terminal, without even having to unlock your phone, and then authenticating with Touch ID or Face ID. You’ll have to unlock your phone and open the banks app. Might as well just use a QR code in your app at that point.
    watto_cobrasarthos
  • Reply 8 of 90
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    When I read the headline, I thought it was a stretch to require Apple share Apple Pay technology. However, reading the article, the law requires Apple allow access for third parties be able to access the NFC chip. That seems reasonable. Disclosure, I own Apple stock. 
    caladanianmuthuk_vanalingamCarnagespheric
  • Reply 9 of 90
    Apple could always drop Apple Pay support for the EU countries I suppose.
    agilealtitudenetmageuraharacornchipLordZeddrissMisterKitpscooter63lostkiwid_2
  • Reply 10 of 90
    spice-boy said:
    Oh no, triggered, outraged that other countries dare have laws which do not fully embrace Apple, because snowflake Apple although the richest company in the world might disappear if anyone ask anything of it, beleaguered days will soon be upon us again. 
    You do sound triggered.  Perhaps you should stay away from articles about economic and political issues.  The debate might be upsetting to you.

My take on the article was that Apple is concerned about how quickly this legislation was drafted and implemented and that it would take effect in just a few months.  Is that the prudent way to make policy?
    SpamSandwichnetmageanantksundaramstompyuraharaLordZeddrisspscooter63lostkiwibageljoey
  • Reply 11 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Pull out of Germany Tim.
    SpamSandwichcharlesgresagilealtitudeentropysmacguibigtdscat52williamlondonn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 90
    MacPro said:
    Pull out of Germany Tim.
    Yep. This is just Germany using protectionism for their own weak competitors.
    anantksundaramagilealtitudeuraharacornchipllamaentropyslostkiwisportyguy209d_2bigtds
  • Reply 13 of 90
    payeco said:
    Even if they do open it up, no one is going to use the banks own wallet because it’s no going to be as seamless as it is now with Apple Pay, where you just hold your phone up to the NFC terminal, without even having to unlock your phone, and then authenticating with Touch ID or Face ID. You’ll have to unlock your phone and open the banks app. Might as well just use a QR code in your app at that point.
    Why would you need to unlock and open up the bank's app? Isn't the point of the regulation to force Apple to provide the same access to third-party providers as it does to its own app?
    avon b7spheric
  • Reply 14 of 90
    I'm sure the German government cares about Apple's bottom line about as much as the US government cares about how profitable Siemens is.
    cornchipmuthuk_vanalingamdewmeviclauyycElCapitanCarnage
  • Reply 15 of 90
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Apple could always drop Apple Pay support for the EU countries I suppose.
    I’d go further and suggest they pull totally out of Germany and any other EU country trying to control Apple. Germany isn’t helping develop any Apple product so why should they be able to dictate how Apple secures it’s product. Might as well give them a back door into iOS while they’re at it. 
    netmagelostkiwicat52watto_cobrasarthos
  • Reply 16 of 90
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    payeco said:
    Why would you need to unlock and open up the bank's app? Isn't the point of the regulation to force Apple to provide the same access to third-party providers as it does to its own app?
    As soon as this happens I will stop trusting Apple Pay. Their system integration with the Secure Enclave and NFC is why I trust it. Releasing coding for that tech to third parties who a horrible at protecting data is foolish. 
    anantksundarammac_dogcornchipMisterKitentropysapplesnorangesd_2cat52aderuttern2itivguy
  • Reply 17 of 90
    ApplePay should simply stop serving Germany. It's a rounding error in the larger scheme of things.
    mac_dogcornchiprissentropyslostkiwiaderutterwatto_cobrasarthos
  • Reply 18 of 90
    I am waiting to hear from all the "But, but.... the EU is..." apologists from a couple of weeks ago.

The bloc's tech-inferiority complex is shining through.
    cornchipllamalostkiwiwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 90
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I'm not American.

This does not seen to be anti-American or anti-Apple, but does seem to reflect a rather poor understanding of online security.

It is common for companies to license technologies to competitors in order to prevent a “Tower of Babel” of technical requirements. The wireless technology standards of 4GLTE include a large amount of intellectual property licensed to all. I think maybe lawmakers who are less than well informed expect that Apple should just share the secure transaction technology they have in a similar way.

Apple I think rightly guards this technology not so much for a trade advantage over competitors, but knowing that sharing it broadly will undermine the security of Apple Pay and that of the millions of people worldwide that use it every day.

I would imagine that the majority of lawmakers and staff involved in this possess at best a shallow and general understanding of the depth and potential harm from having insecure online transactions. Privacy and security of data is not only a big deal for consumers/customers, it is a huge point of differentiation for Apple. Why should Apple make proprietary technology developed at considerable cost to every maker of throwaway Android trash phones?
    GabyMisterKitpscooter63watto_cobrasarthos
  • Reply 20 of 90
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    I'm not American.

This is my logic exactly. And the thing that really makes me laugh is 99% of the media and other tech companies are always pointing out market share; Android is the leader they shout from the rooftops. So if this is the case why are they so concerned with Apple? Surely with all the other platforms being so dominant there is nothing to complain about?!  Moreover Apple runs a proprietary platform on proprietary hardware. They have no obligation to enable other companies to profit from their hard earned success and customers. That’s like trying to force Nintendo to open up and allow Sega access, and nobody would expect that. People know that Apple users by and large spend the most and so they expect free access to us. Well I am quite content with apples’ platform as is, I appreciate the “walled garden” and I think anyone that doesn’t would move to another platform. So rather than using conniving methods and excuses to force them to open up proprietary tech - user choice, monopolies and the like, why don’t they be open and honest, because like I said, the people will vote with their wallets. And it’s certainly not “the people” that are making these complaints...... 
    As for fair competition, these other companies are free to create their own platforms on their own time and at their own expense. The simple truth of it is they don’t have the competence to do so, but Apple is not obliged to give them a leg up. There’s nothing fair about profiting from another’s work! 
    edited November 2019 cornchiplostkiwiStrangeDaysroundaboutnowcat52watto_cobrasarthos