Facebook to reportedly rebrand with focus on the metaverse

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2021
Amid intense regulatory scrutiny and growing public distrust over its social media network and associated business practices, Facebook is reportedly planning to change its name as part of a pivot into the "metaverse."

Facebook

Citing sources familiar with the matter, The Verge reports that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg will discuss the rebranding at the company's Connect conference on Oct. 28, though a new name could be unveiled prior to the event.

Details are scarce and the finalized brand is a guarded secret, though it is expected that Facebook will follow in the footsteps of Alphabet and create an overarching brand, or perhaps a holding company, for its many products and services. Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus, Giphy and others currently count themselves as subsidiaries under Facebook's umbrella.

The move could serve as a nod to Zuckerberg's recent interest the metaverse, the report said. Dreamed up by sci-fi writer Neil Stephenson, the term "metaverse" originally described a three-dimensional virtual world to which humans escaped from the doldrums of a dystopian future. There, they connected and interacted with each other through avatars.

Facebook's technologies are a cheap analogue for Stephenson's metaverse, but efforts are underway to refine those systems with hardware advancements for Oculus and new software projects like the Horizon social VR platform. The social media giant is committed to the endeavor and has poured significant capital into building out its AR and VR teams, the report notes.

The timing of the rebrand would also serve as a distraction from government scrutiny. Earlier this month, whistleblower Frances Haugen leaked documents and appeared before Congress to offer scathing testimony about the social network's ill effects on the public at large. Facebook is also facing antitrust woes in the U.S. and beyond.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    A Gruber put it:
     It took Philip Morris an entire century to get to its Altria rebranding moment. If this pans out, it look Facebook 17 years.”

You can put lipstick on a pig…
    spock1234fred1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Lol this will make the antitrust case go well….metaverse? 🤣
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Will this be like how we call Alphabet “Google”?

Some name ideas for Facebook
    ”Privacy Inc”
    ”We Don’t Spy”
    ”Totally Safe Co.”
    Alex_Vskippingrockkingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    The future will be dystopian, indeed, if Facebook becomes the gatekeeper to the metaverse. Meanwhile, Apple is dicking around trying to figure out what materials to make it’s HMD out of. First mover advantage will be important here. People are ready for this, and it will be expensive enough that many won’t be able to simply swap platforms whenever they want. Apple perfected the sticky ecosystem blueprint, and if it doesn’t get off it’s ass, it’s going to get beaten at its own game. 
    edited October 2021 williamlondonOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 218member
    Japhey said:
    The future will be dystopian, indeed, if Facebook becomes the gatekeeper to the metaverse. Meanwhile, Apple is dicking around trying to figure out what materials to make it’s HMD out of. First mover advantage will be important here. People are ready for this, and it will be expensive enough that many won’t be able to simply swap platforms whenever they want. Apple perfected the sticky ecosystem blueprint, and if it doesn’t get off it’s ass, it’s going to get beaten at its own game. 

And I will be compelled to buy a Facebook laptop, because… ?
    FileMakerFellerrezwitsspock1234mike1ronnDogpersonkingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    So continuing mission to crush soles and make money from fraud. 
    muthuk_vanalingamspock1234sdw2001williamlondonDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Japhey said:
    The Internet is littered with claims that Apple is too late delivering (x). Apple is happy to be the first company to make something right, that the rest of the industry then falls over themselves to copy.
    spock1234tmaymike1DoodpantsronnwilliamlondonskippingrockDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    "Interfacebook"
    rezwitsspock1234sdw2001watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Alex_V said:
    Japhey said:

And I will be compelled to buy a Facebook laptop, because… ?
    Who said anything about laptops? My comment was about the metaverse, AR and VR. You know, the future?
    williamlondonOfer
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Japhey said:
    The Internet is littered with claims that Apple is too late delivering (x). Apple is happy to be the first company to make something right, that the rest of the industry then falls over themselves to copy.
    Yeah, I read those claims every day too. And eventually one of them will be right. Or, do you really believe they can continue being on top forever without adapting? It’s only a matter of time before someone figures out a way to apply Apple’s strategy more successfully, or worse, figure out a way to use it against them. And I’m a little worried that Facebook is angling to do exactly that with VR…for the reason I stated above. 

I refuse to believe that whatever VR device Apple has in prototype right now is not at least 10 times better than the Oculus. Very few devices are “right” in their first generation (iPad, Apple Watch, HomePod). It’s not until they are released, and have a chance to respond to market demand, that they are able to evolve into being “right”. I just wish Apple would quit dragging their feet and enter the game already, because no matter how perfect they make their device, it will be completely different by the third generation anyway. Let it evolve in the market. It doesn’t have to be perfect, it just has to be better than the competition. 

I hate Facebook with every fiber of my being, but I really think people are underestimating them here, because not everybody is a fanboy/girl…not everybody is going to wait for Apple. And it would be foolish to think they would. 
    edited October 2021 williamlondonOfer
  • Reply 11 of 22
    What's in a name?  That which we call a turd
    By any other name would smell as foul.

Apologies to The Bard.
    kingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I had a Facebook account for about a year. Their algorithms decided to surface a video of two teenagers putting a kitten in a plastic bowl, squirting lighter fluid onto it, and setting it on fire.

I reported it. Facebook's moderators said it didn't breach their guidelines because "it could have been a video from an animal charity that was pointing out what they have to fight against". It wasn't from an animal charity - what sort of animal charity would show that?! - it was on the teenagers' pages.

In that moment, I closed my account, and I have had nothing further to do with that hellsite.

I don't care what Zuckerberg calls his wet dream. He is a terrible person, and I won't be having anything to do with him or his 'metaverse' bollox.
    badmonkmuthuk_vanalingamOferDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    My life is better not knowing what someone I haven’t seen since high school had for lunch.

Changing a company name won’t suddenly make me want to re-introduce that into my life.
    edited October 2021 hydrogenDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I got off of Facebook after essentially being harassed multiple times. It was doing nothing productive. Facebook is also an evil company.  I won’t use any of their products.  
    muthuk_vanalingamskippingrockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    mattinoz said:
    So continuing mission to crush soles and make money from fraud. 

Most people on facebook never leave the couch, so their "soles" never see much action. (I know you meant "souls"; just giving you a hard time). :p
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    The feeling that we are all simply avatars in the metaverse that is zuckerberg's mind is slowly creeping in. I can think of no metaverse facebook or zuckerberg could be capable of crafting that would be any better than the dystopia facebook already is.
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    Facebook is such a massively destructive force on our world. As long as they’re profitable, they don’t care how their products affect our world. 

Capitalism at its finest.
    williamlondonDogpersonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Ofer said:
    Facebook is such a massively destructive force on our world. As long as they’re profitable, they don’t care how their products affect our world. 

Capitalism at its finest.
    I keep hoping that they’ll disappear like MySpace or second life but yeah. I wish. 
    OferDogpersonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    You only have to look at how Z started the whole thing at college .. what a sleaze bag. No surprise that FB is the way it is.
    DogpersonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Beats said:
    Will this be like how we call Alphabet “Google”?

Some name ideas for Facebook
    ”Privacy Inc”
    ”We Don’t Spy”
    ”Totally Safe Co.”
    At first read, I thought you typed 
    “Toiletly Safe Co”
    watto_cobra