two button mouse coming with new Powermac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
iRumors is reporting the new mouse will arrive on Aug.13 and will have 2 buttons. I can hear the PC lackeys now, but I really think this will help in the whole switch movement. If they have two buttons but no scroll wheel, though, I will go into a rage...I don't need two buttons but I do need a scroll wheel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by FlashGordon:

<strong>iRumors is reporting the new mouse will arrive on Aug.13 and will have 2 buttons. I can hear the PC lackeys now, but I really think this will help in the whole switch movement. If they have two buttons but no scroll wheel, though, I will go into a rage...I don't need two buttons but I do need a scroll wheel</strong><hr></blockquote>

The requirements for Shake include a three button mouse, its been rehashed over and over, almost as much as an apple PDA, but its interesting nonetheless.

I've been using microsoft's intellimouse since the day it came out, acctually I've used three of them - as the cable on them tends to fall apart pretty easily. If apple made a three buttin mouse, one could be pretty sure it wouldn't be a complete piece of crap like the MS intellimouse.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member

<strong>iRumors is reporting the new mouse will arrive on Aug.13 and will have 2 buttons. I can hear the PC lackeys now, but I really think this will help in the whole switch movement. If they have two buttons but no scroll wheel, though, I will go into a rage...I don't need two buttons but I do need a scroll wheel</strong><hr></blockquote>

WOW REALLY They must have SOME inside sources I mean nobody has ever rumored about that before.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    I thought iRumors really screwed up their last rumor (incorrectly spelled Motorola and contradicted themselves), and thereby completely blew away any credibility the new site had...

In fact there were signs pointing to the fact the site was run by a AI member.

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: Animaniac ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 33
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    haha

"Apple released a 2 button mouse to day with their new PowerMac systems.

In an interview a common Windows user commented

"Wow. Two mouse buttons. Apple has finally caught up with the Windows side of things. I never would imagined it could happen. It's like a whole new 2-button-mouse-computer world opened up to me. Things are different now that there are two buttons on Macs . . ."

When it was pointed out that Macs have supported 2 buttons for several years through after market mice, the PC user commented, "Huh? You can buy stuff for your computer seperately? Who would want to do that?"

I still find it hilarious that the most common complaint of PC users is "it only has one button"

This is the last big block preventing the stream of PC users from defecting en masse!

I'm half sarcastic, half serious.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    bsharpbsharp Posts: 64member

Buy a Logitech mouse. My wireless trackball has a scrollwheel and two buttons.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I really would like to see this happen all across the line and not simply be a "pro" feature. I am in the market for a laptop within the next year, and use my Logitech's 3 buttons and scroll wheel quite a bit. Now, if I am only able to afford an iBook, I still want it to have 2 buttons and not to simply be a "pro" feature....
  • Reply 7 of 33
    I dont see the big need for a 2 button mouse from apple. I like the fact that they keep things simple. Thats the way they like it. If you dont like it, you get one from a third party company, apple makes a computer sale, other company makes a mouse sale, you have a new computer and a multiple button mouse, everyone happy. And the people who like the one button mouse (not me, i have a kensington ball for protools) can stick with the really cool really nice one button mouse.

And i dont see the requirment of a 3 button mouse for shake as ANY indication that we can expect apple to release one. You can get a 3 button mouse anywhere for dirt cheap.

Do i think its possible that they'll release one. Sure, anythings possible. But i just see that theyve stuck with the 1 button mouse all the way up to now, i can see them sticking with it longer.

Just my $0.02
  • Reply 8 of 33
    With Apple's news policy of extracting every <a href="http://www.mac.com"; target="_blank">last</a> <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx"; target="_blank">dollar</a> from the user, they could release a special multibutton, multifunction mouse, but only include it as an upgrade (from the no-button mouse they have right now), thereby getting another $60 bucks off the buyer.

Jet
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Franly Im completely indifferent to the idea. I don't see why they need a second button, since most Mac Apps are built around only using one, the second would just kindof "be there". It would be nice to see an Apple made mouse with a scroll whell though. That would make my day
  • Reply 10 of 33
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Actually, virtually every Mac app, and the OS itself dating back to 8 at least, IS built for two buttons. The right button does context menus, just like on Windows. Right-clicking around reveals lots of nifty shortcuts, whether you're in Mac or Windows! Luckiky, ctrl-click does the same thing on Mac, so the right button is merely a convenience... but one software DOES support.

Also, a major game category, first-person-shooters, typically requires a 2-button mouse to be easily played. (Fire and alt-fire.) So home and pro users alike have a reson for this.

I do like the one-button mice for total newbies though--I hope it remains an option. Or even standard on the low-end, if you can BTO the 2-button.

I've always said Apple should just add a scroll-wheel to the current mouse: click that and you have your "right" button! Nice and tidy, and no confusion between the two buttons.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    How someone can say, "I don't need a second mouse button or a scroll wheel" baffles me. Does such a person even use a computer for a considerable amount of work during the day?

When I think of Mac simplicity it's when I plug in my digital Elph camera into my G3 an wa-la, iPhoto launches (with no driver installation on my behalf..) or when I'm writing a small Cocoa app and I have spell checking for free in my text fields... or how I can type cd in the terminal and drag a folder over and it will enter the path for me.

Simplicity is not control clicking to save a target in a browser.. it's getting in the way.

Apple is trying to push the Mac as a viable gaming platform. While I'm not a hardcore gamer, I'm not blind enough to realize that another button and a scroll wheel contributes to more engaging gameplay.

First the puck, then the pill... Geesh.. just throw in a logitech optical mouse for 15 bucks. The form over functionality factor with Apple's input devices is due for a major revision.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    If you want multi-button mice just go and buy one.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Real gamers buy joysticks and controllers. Playing almost any game (other than descent) with a mouse simply SUCKS. It doesn't matter whether it's Wintel or Mac, mouse gameplay BLOWS. So if you think a multi-button mouse will have gamers flocking to our favorite platform, you are sadly mistaken. Apple would be better off writing drivers for the $10 sidewinder joysticks I see in piles at Wal-Mart.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    You don't really have any clue do you?

Ever heard of a FPS gamer that used either a joystick or a pad to play his favorite shooter?

Joysticks are for simulations (flight, cars, racing), pads for arcades (jump and run, beat 'em up). Everything else can only seriously be played with mouse and keyboard.

Denying that is idiocy.

G-News
  • Reply 15 of 33
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    i too have had an intellimouse explorer ever since i've had a USB mac... cable went bad on me so I purchased a wireless version. Its awesome

Going to restate a very simple idea. Apple needs third party hardware developers to make products like mice keyboards etc for Mac (although this isn't much of an issue with Windows mice and USB overdrive). If apple makes a two button mouse with a scroll wheel, this will really piss off a company say like kensington. kensington may decide they may not want to make mac products anymore, get the drift?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Being the owner of a Wacom graphics tablet, I must say that you haven't moused until you used the mouse that comes with it.

Â?Â*5 programmable buttons

Â? scroll wheel (can be placed on left or rgiht side)

Â?Â*wireless (works on the graphics pad surface.

Â?Â*can be made to tilt for lef tor right handers.

MSKR
  • Reply 17 of 33
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    [quote]Originally posted by Masker:

<strong>Being the owner of a Wacom graphics tablet, I must say that you haven't moused until you used the mouse that comes with it.

Â?Â*5 programmable buttons

Â? scroll wheel (can be placed on left or rgiht side)

Â?Â*wireless (works on the graphics pad surface.

Â?Â*can be made to tilt for lef tor right handers.

MSKR</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wacoms Mouse is big and bulky. Some of the butons, while adding function, are difficult to use from my experience, the scroll wheel is nice, but nothing I cant live without. Which just goes to show you that everyone has their own preference. I like Wacoms pen, but Apples pro mouse is the best pointer that I have used, and yes I work on a computer 8 hrs a day.

While I think that it would be nice for Apple to try to accomidate every computer user's wants and desires, it is unrealistic. I could see them coming out with an optional 3-4 button since it is needed for Shake, but not all of the varieties that are mentioned in the many discussions an this subject since the first Pro Mouse.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    I use the Logitech Marble Mouse ( <a href="http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=6&CONTENTID=5003&countryid=19&languag eid=1" target="_blank">http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=6&CONTENTID=5003&countryid=19&languag eid=1</a> ) It took a few days to get used to it but now i love it. Would be slick if apple baught the rights to it and made one that would match the new apple color scheme...
  • Reply 19 of 33
    I would appreciate not being flamed for starting a thread that it seems many are interested in...not everyone hears every rumor or has enough time to check in every day.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jet Powers:

<strong>With Apple's news policy of extracting every <a href="http://www.mac.com"; target="_blank">last</a> <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx"; target="_blank">dollar</a> from the user, they could release a special multibutton, multifunction mouse, but only include it as an upgrade (from the no-button mouse they have right now), thereby getting another $60 bucks off the buyer.

Jet</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry I just have to rant about this again. If you believe Apple's upgrade policies and services model are so horrendously terrible I seriously suggest you try Microsoft's some time, especially as a corporate entity.

How absolutely terrible of them for expecting some reimbursement for a substanial upgrade. Simple answer if you don't feel they offer enough for their prices don't buy what they are offering. Unlike Microsoft they won't attempt to force you to buy it except by adding more features to make it better value.