Way to go France!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm happy to see mr. Raffarin, though he's not exactly on my side of the political spectrum, lash out as hard as he did towards the Americans. If ever the 'triple error' speech will be taught at schools, remember where you read it first:

from lemonde.fr:

Quote:

A propos des Etats-Unis, le premier ministre a estimé qu'ils ont commis "une triple erreur, morale, politique et stratégique". Moral, "il y avait une autre alternative Ã* la guerre", a-t-il dit. Politique, "car nous connaissons bien les difficultés de cette région", a-t-il poursuivi. Stratégique, "cette idée unipolaire" n'est pas celle qu'il faudrait suivre, selon lui. Puis, il a ajouté que la France n'est pas "dans le camp des dictatures" et "nous disons clairement Ã* nos amis américains, vous avez fait une erreur grave et la France a le sentiment d'avoir fait son devoir", a-t-il dit. Sur la sécurité, le chef du gouvernement a également affirmé qu'il n'y avait "pas de menaces précises" d'attentats terroristes sur la France.

Or sherlocked for you non-french-knowing-ers:

Quote:

In connection with the United States, the Prime Minister estimated that they made "triple error, morals, policy and strategic". Moral,

"there was another alternative to the war", has it says. Policy, "because we know well the difficulties of this area", it continued. Strategic, "this unipolar idea" is not that which would have to be followed, according to him. Then, it added that France is not "in the camp of the dictatorships" and "we say to our American friends clearly, you made a serious error and France has the feeling to have made its duty", has it says. On the security, the chief of the government also affirmed that there were "no precise threats" of terrorist attacks on France.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 150
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    What's a "France"?

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be about this story. (Also in French)

Jewish girl's parents fined for speaking out about her beating. 4000 Euros.
  • Reply 2 of 150
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    The more i study the government of France, the more disgusted I am at its deep-rooted anti-Semitism. Between that, the poll that says some unbelivably high percentage of French folks wish Saddam to beat the coalition and the defacing of the English war memorial, I'm not very inclined to listen to France any longer.

My country still keeps up diplomatic relations with them. So far as I'm concerned, that might be more than they deserve.
  • Reply 3 of 150
    I'm sure the people of France are very nice.... if you tell them you're Canadian and not Jewish.

I kid! I kid!
  • Reply 4 of 150
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    You tell the truth! the truth!
  • Reply 5 of 150
    The French govt doesn't give a flying fück about morals. THey care about politics, $, Vive le France and unipolarity in that exact order. The Chiraqis should stop worrying about the hyperpower and spend more time giving the Schroeder booty calls fore he gets tossed by the playa hatas in the 00-49 if they want to get their goal of the EU to be a rival power to the US to be realized. Meanwhile Joschka endores coalitions of the willing if the Brits and the rest cannot be persuaded to the multilateral EU school approach. Deutschlander Grune representin the Shrubbery playbook. Go Cheney, it's your birthday. I suppose the Chiraqi would hop on their Flugzeug to go meet with the Germans if it weren't for this darn strike. Non, not again.
  • Reply 6 of 150
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

The French govt doesn't give a flying fück about morals.

He who is without sin throweth the first stone, in that, CoD, it's not France's dealing with morals that is on trial here. I'd rather have you, if you allow me, discuss the fact that, as a Belgian reporter worded it:

"it does not happen often that one friendly government lashes out at another like this."
  • Reply 7 of 150
    Oh and another hting. Instead of writing letters to some irrelevant octogenerian bulldyke wench whose incestuous family ceded up dey skills a long long time ago, Chiraq should instead be man enough to get on the fücking BBC Channels 1-Infinity and US TV and French TV and directly address and apolofûckinggize to the descendants and friends of those whose graves were desefückingcrated in his sorry ass effete country filled with eunuchs and cuckolds. And he should denounce the thugs as anti-French cowards for their desecretion of people who died to free fücking France which rolled over like a two bit whore after a gangbang at the East Side Motel when Der Fuhrer came a callin Panzer style. 39 Days? Weak.
  • Reply 8 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Jewish girl's parents fined for speaking out about her beating. 4000 Euros.

I don't know groverat, but I think, having skimmed the article (in French 8) ), that you simplify what's happened. The kid received a beating just like many schoolkids do. Does the fact that she was jewish have anything to do with it? Maybe, I wasn't there. Fact remains, this is, sadly enough, an everyday affair. The parents then made this into a big media story, where it wasn't, and effectively chipped at the reputation of the families involved. Which is a little over the edge. You, as a student of journalism, should know that there is more to these stories than single line sure-shots. Contrary to what you may think, French people are as educated and civilised (if not more ) as Americans, and I'd rather be tried in a French court a hundred times before I'd be tried in America. Of course, Belgium is a few miles out of both of their leagues, again, but that's another story.
  • Reply 9 of 150
    Quote:

Oh and another hting.

Hey. Calm down.
  • Reply 10 of 150
    "it does not happen often that one friendly government lashes out at another like this."

As far as lashing out, everyone knows that Powell is on a kiss and make up mission to move forward. The fact that the French continue to lash out instructs you very thoroughly on the nature of their stance.

Maybe the Chiraqis just got pissed cause they felt the Russians were trying to hard to take over their role.

The French are not allies anyway. I mean, the whole point of their anti unipolar antagonism is that they don't want to be allies, the want the EU to be a rival to the US. So I see nothing remarkable over RiffRaff's comments in light of the position that the Chiraqis have already staked out for themselves.
  • Reply 11 of 150
    Quote:

I mean, the whole point of their anti unipolar antagonism is that they don't want to be allies, the want the EU to be a rival to the US. So I see nothing remarkable over RiffRaff's comments in light of the position that the Chiraqis have already staked out for themselves.

It is telling that you get so upset about this. What, another American who cannot deal with seeing America's world dominance chipped into banality?
  • Reply 12 of 150
    Anti-semitic violence is on the rise in France. But does that have to do with this case? Maybe not.

But do you FINE the parents of the beaten girl for creating a stir? No. (Well, you do if you're France.)

If America were run this way Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would have been shot through the head in the 1970s. But America is not run that way, we have more freedoms here.

I really couldn't care less about what some French government official has to say about my nation and its leaders. France, Germany and Belgium trying to build their own little defense league, unilateralism indeed.

Fess up, little states of "Old Europe", you don't matter as much as you used to and it pisses you off. Just come out, admitting your faults makes you feel better.

France's voice will be heard again! Vive le France!
  • Reply 13 of 150
    I'm entirely calm. Just a bit bombastic and vulgar. Deal with it. It is my American culture and I would hope that as a tolerant European who is well versed in the intricacies of our many and great nation states through the world that you would come to respect our multicultural differences and such yada yada yada.

Quote:

I'd rather be tried in a French court a hundred times before I'd be tried in America.

Can you elaborate on your thinking for such a statement?

Quote:

Of course, Belgium is a few miles out of both of their leagues, again, but that's another story.

Why? Because of your embarrassing laws which feign dominion on any war crimes issue under the sun? Or does that not count now that your politicians are backpedaling faster than Charles Woodson?

Now, let's talk Vlaams bloc. 35% Egad.

Quote:

What, another American who cannot deal with seeing America's world dominance chipped into banality?

Elaborate on which aspect(s) of American dominance have been eroded of late if you would sir. Gracias.
  • Reply 14 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

What, another American who cannot deal with seeing America's world dominance chipped into banality?

Louis Michel, is that you? hahaha

Who is chipping away at America's world dominance, mr head? Belgium? The EU?

The EU can't even agree on a common defense policy.

"Your role as the lone superpower will end! I will match your power!" squeaked the mouse to the cat.
  • Reply 15 of 150
    Quote:

we have more freedoms here.

Fess up, little states of "Old Europe", you don't matter as much as you used to and it pisses you off. Just come out, admitting your faults makes you feel better.

On point number one: a lot of Americans disagree with you, groverat, with a Patriot Act making a VERY strong argument in their case.

On point number two: this is not about mattering or not, this is, to me, about countries kissing the ass of the world leader at that time (Ceaser around 50 BC, France in 1066 AD, Hitler in 38), or countries coming right out and stating their case, and the wounded faces little baby-lion makes when he sees he no longer has the power he once held. And, a lot of Americans disagree with you on this point. I have a very caustic little speech to the extent that America is blowing up its coalition of the willing (mostly third-world countries hoping to get some goods) to make it seem like they have the world backing them, when they are not. And THEREFOR, I am happy that France does not let America forget its stance. Of course this times in correctly with Powells visit. It is as much as saying that he does not have to show his ass-kissing face round here if he thinks he can rule the world with his 'new' little buddies.
  • Reply 16 of 150
    Quote:

I'm entirely calm.

Well, then don't calm down.

Quote:

Can you elaborate on your thinking for such a statement?

Yes, I can.

Quote:

Vlaams bloc. 35%

1) Get your numbers straight before bringing that up. (15% in the half of the country where they ARE a party. Nationally = 11%. 35%?

2) Republican party in the US: +50%, their views mostly coincide. Same kind of pro-life, softcore xenophobe shit I here your president utter on a daily basis. Except that Europe, apparently, is so libertarian that we react to this more fierce.
  • Reply 17 of 150
    Quote:

...and the wounded faces little baby-lion makes when he sees he no longer has the power he once held.

I think we just made it quite obvious that this "baby-lion" has every bit of the "the power he once held."

Power is a zero-sum, so it has EVERYTHING to do with each nation and how much they matter. Russia, China or India will "matter" before Old Europe ever does again. You not only lost your place at the front of the line you're looking over quite a few shoulders now. I'm sure you had fun in the 19th century but your time is past, the only thing you have to show for this American decline EUphiles love to point at is your own disdain for George Bush.

Quote:

And, a lot of Americans disagree with you on this point. I have a very caustic little speech to the extent that America is blowing up its coalition of the willing (mostly third-world countries hoping to get some goods) to make it seem like they have the world backing them, when they are not.

Oh, this "I will inflate my own importance by stating what THE WORLD *really* thinks". Piggy-back your way to importance, little Belgian, it's the only way you'll be noticed. So proud and happy when he sits as president of the EU.

Quote:

And THEREFOR, I am happy that France does not let America forget its stance. Of course this times in correctly with Powells visit. It is as much as saying that he does not have to show his ass-kissing face round here if he thinks he can rule the world with his 'new' little buddies.

We need no buddies to rule, we merely ask because we like the idea of everyone working together. If you don't want to work with us we will work by ourselves. It's all very simple.
  • Reply 18 of 150
    Quote:

the wounded faces little baby-lion makes when he sees he no longer has the power he once held.

Which power is that that is no longer held?

I know you aint talking shit about the Lion King motherfücker. Don't make me go AcunaMatata on yo ass. Cause in the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight.

Just kidding, I got hos in different area codes fo yo (Luft)Waff(e.)leman.
  • Reply 19 of 150
    Quote:

You not only lost your place at the front of the line you're looking over quite a few shoulders now.

Oh, this "I will inflate my own importance by stating what THE WORLD *really* thinks". Piggy-back your way to importance, little Belgian, it's the only way you'll be noticed.

1) I'm not looking for a place at front of any line, which might sound like a surprise. The more inequilibrium when it comes to power, the unsafer this world will be. I'd be happy with a spot at around fifty, if the rest of the world were around that spot too.

2) 'little Belgian': a) that's trying to hit me personal, which is rather humourous, seeing I'm a tall man, and would probably have to look down on you if meeting IRL (and this is NOT to put you down, this is a fact of life). Anyway, ad hominem attacks and posting guidelines? Mister moderator?

b) again: have you considered, seeing how a large part of the world is officially reacting against what your bossman is doing, that you might actually be wrong?
  • Reply 20 of 150
    Quote:

I know you aint talking shit about the Lion King motherfücker. Don't make me go AcunaMatata on yo ass. Cause in the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight.

Just kidding, I got hos in different area codes fo yo (Luft)Waff(e.)leman.

Look, CoD, I find this distressing. Please, if the sanity of this argument is of any importance to you, change your tone. Your stance is still at your discretion, so don't go accusing me of nothing.