"Can't we all just get along?"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Can't you stay out of trouble, goon?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,84218,00.html

And for those who prefer a more unbiased, accepted source:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/900553.asp?0cv=CB20

I'd provide a CNN link, but - as of this moment - they don't seem to be carrying the story.

All I know is this: if I'd been awarded $3.8 million after suffering a beating from some idiot cops, I'd cruise and enjoy the rest of my life...and keep my nose clean.

With all that money, I'd find cooler ways to live my life: travel (definitely!), ballgames, collect old cars or guitars, buy neat appliances and cool digital audio/video gear, etc.

I WOULD NOT keep getting into brushes with the law, over and over. One major experience with the police (particularly a videotaped ass-beating that spawned a bullcrap trial and horrible, deadly riots) would pretty much meet my quota of lowlife experiences.

They just reported on ABC radio news a minute ago that King was seeking to file a lawsuit against the homeowner.

Let's get this straight: King crashes into innocent homeowner's house = King is upset and sues? What, for the homeowner having the audacity to build a home where King might come veering off the street some day?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Pity they didn't beat some sense into him.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

They just reported on ABC radio news a minute ago that King was seeking to file a lawsuit against the homeowner.

I can't wait to hear this one. Maybe his brain was more damaged by the beating then we thought.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, the "running into a house at 100mph" was lame enough. When I heard the "lawsuit" thing on the radio a little while ago, I nearly spit my drink out!

I'll be curious to hear the reasoning on this too, even though it'll just piss me off and raise my blood pressure, I'm sure.

How hard is it to go through life and simply stay out of trouble? Are any of you here constantly winding up arrested, in jail, out on bail, in court, on probation? I doubt it.

DUI, PCP, assault, running into a house...all this AFTER becoming the world's most famous victim of police brutality and the poster child for the nuttiness L.A. went through in the aftermath.

I just don't get it.

Maybe I'm not supposed to...
  • Reply 4 of 33
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Well the "first" time he was pulled over he was drunk and high and took the police on a high speed chase. He just hasn't changed like so many other people like him. Just because he got beat up by the cops doesn't make him different than he is.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    I'm a firm believer in a little well judge police brutality. Just make sure there aren't any cameras around.

A guy from my old neighborhood, who was a bit of a problem when we were growing up, probably wouldn't have straightened out if not for a little police brutality. He was older than me, but everyone knew him (or of him). One day he stole his father's car and didn't come back untill early the next morning. (one of his tamer stunts) When he got in, his father slapped him, and the punk called the police to charge his father with assault.

Lucky for them, officers with some sense arrived. They found the father crying, sized up the situation, probably also knew of the kid, so rather than charge the dad, they took young punk for a ride and told the parents not to worry. They came back a little later with a very apologetic young man in the car. The dad was white, the kid was white, the officers were white. That kid got a little schooling that there's just no way any officer could give it to a black kid like that these days. Probably that's a good thing, but still, I'm not sure any amount of hand holding would have scared that boy straight the way a little ride around the street did that night.

I'm for what works, sometimes that's violence, and that ain't wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    <insert obligatory lame ass uncontroversial boring comment>

Okay that pretty much sums up what I had to say.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Well the "first" time he was pulled over he was drunk and high and took the police on a high speed chase. He just hasn't changed like so many other people like him. Just because he got beat up by the cops doesn't make him different than he is.

I guess not. In and of itself, being beaten by the cops might not be enough. That's probably happened to lots of people...I realize that. But this case in particular (caught on tape, the trial and aftermath it spawned, etc.) got raised to a higher level.

Just for my own sense of pride and decency, I'd make extra sure to keep a clean nose and just enjoy my multi-million dollar settlement.

I'd be too busy packing a suitcase for Rome or an arctic cruise to be getting into any more trouble!

• Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

<insert obligatory lame ass uncontroversial boring comment>

Okay that pretty much sums up what I had to say.

Holy cow...call me a paramedic!!! The ONE fella I thought would come in here and give me a dose (for whatever reason...he'd find one!) actually DIDN'T!

I'm going into cardiac arre...BEEEEEEEEP

Well, it's nice to know that you're never too old to be surprised.

• Reply 9 of 33
    I was going for a little bit of humor.

• Reply 10 of 33
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    So, he was speeding, driving wrecklessly, crashed into a house and broke his pelvis, and how was this the homeowners fault? Unfortunately, there will probably be some silly hot-shot attorney willing to take the case:

"Your honor, if that house hadn't been in the way of my client's path, he would have had room to slow down to a reasonable speed and regain control of his vehicle. The homeowner is absolutely responsible for Mr. King's injuries."

The bastard should feel lucky that he's alive. Had he been driving anything other than a huge-ass SUV, he might not be.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Can't you stay out of trouble, goon?

I think you're using GOON as a racial slur here. Or is it an epithet -- I can't remember which is which.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Hey, if there's a slur the science behind DNA is automatically invalidated. Ooops, that's a different case of affirmative justice.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

I think you're using GOON as a racial slur here. Or is it an epithet -- I can't remember which is which.

I checked OED for "goon" and there's no racial undertone to the word. Unfortunate for Rondey the definition fits him.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    The guy is an idiot and a fool.

He was always an idiot and a fool.

Just goes to show you: money in itself will not raise you above the shiit of your own personality.

But then again, in the original case, I don't think that his being an idiot of a fool was what was at stake . . .

if being an idiot and a fool were reason enough for police brutality then 99% of the human race would be beaten constantly

as in 1984 "imagine a boot on the face of humanity smashing it perpetually" (paraphrase from memory)
  • Reply 15 of 33
    enaena Posts: 667member
    If he had obeyed the cops, he would have never gotten beaten in the first place.

Remember, the first jury sided with the police.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

Taking into account your other posts, I'm assuming that you're joking here, right? If so:

If not, I assure you: no racial slurs meant by "goon".

If I'd intended to do that, I would've used the other word.

No, just using "goon" in its purest, simplest form: an idiot.

Maybe you confused "goon" and "gook" (I've seen all those Vietnam movies and that's always a word thrown around). Not even the same race.

But I think you're joking. Absence of a smiley gives me pause...
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

If he had obeyed the cops, he would have never gotten beaten in the first place.

Remember, the first jury sided with the police.

It is quite amazing (and telling) that SO many of these types of cases and scenarios go as far and horribly as they do because most of the time people just simply don't do as they're told and cooperate.

Not excuse-making, just saying.

I was talking about this to my Dad just the other day (someone he works with saw a shoplifter nailed at Sears and it turned ugly...a chase across a parking lot, resulting in a broken ankle for the perp and stiches for the cop) and I said that right or wrong, if a cop is behind me with his lights flashing and sirens going or if I'm pulled over and a cop(s) has his gun drawn on me and ordering me to lie down, spread 'em, rollover, bark, etc. you can bet your ass I'm going to do it. I'm not going to lead him on a chase or backtalk him when he asks me to take my hands out of my pockets.

THAT'S how people get hurt, on both sides.

I don't want to a) get shot b) get a knee in my neck and arrested c) have a German shepherd sicced on me or simply d) make the cop's job harder and crappier than it probably already is. If I'm wrongly stopped and searched (and innocent), so what? If I'm wrongly detained or held (and innocent), then there are avenues I can pursue if I feel the need to.

But just to go out of my way to make the situation crappier and more tense by defying the police (as if you're actually going to prevail...has this ever happened)? No, not me.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Whats a pelvis?

It sounds naughty, like a clone of Elvis and Penis.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Where your legs meet your hips and where you back/torso comes down into. Here you go:

• Reply 20 of 33
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It was a typo. He meant to type "coon". Is that a racial slur?

*zips up flame suit*