June 23rd: special event in Berlin for 970 Powermacs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I do not expect you to believe me straight away, but here is something I wanted to share withe you guys.

I have a rather good inside contact that told me about all those clients that were invited from all over Europe to attend a presentation in Berlin. He then specifically said that the purpose of this presentation was to launch the new IBM 970-based Powermacs.

(I don't know anything about the specs though.)

Knowing the guy, I'm pretty damn sure this is true.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 126
    Well, that's our show for tonight. G'Night Folks!
  • Reply 2 of 126
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    So we have a chance to see PowerMacs 970 in AppleStore in July and we must see it there in August. Any other timeframe should be considered pessimistic?
  • Reply 3 of 126
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Ich bin ein Powermac11

Berlin seems a strange place to kick off a Mac product line.

But I guess we'll see!!
  • Reply 4 of 126
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    First MacBidet, now this? If there's anything to it, then Apple's Paris branch must leak like a sieve!
  • Reply 5 of 126
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Berlin seems a strange place to kick off a Mac product line.

June 23rd just happens to be the start of WWDC.
  • Reply 6 of 126
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    And it doesn't sound like a "public" event either. More like an event where important customers/developers in europe are invited to check the new powermacs out. But I think it's strange that they would make this event on the 23rd. Would't it be wiser for Apple to hold such an event later to hinder information about the upcoming powermacs to be spread around. I don't see Apple calling customers from all over europe telling them to come and see the new powermacs with the 970 and panther. It just doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 7 of 126
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    or apple have realised that a lot of european developers/key customers are not making the trip to wwdc. so they are having an event in europe.
  • Reply 8 of 126
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

or apple have realised that a lot of european developers/key customers are not making the trip to wwdc. so they are having an event in europe.

It would seem possible that they want to get a European developer gathering to showcase something.

But, ADC called me today trying to get me to go to WWDC (see WWDC thread) - they didn't say anything about European events.
  • Reply 9 of 126
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

It would seem possible that they want to get a European developer gathering to showcase something.

But, ADC called me today trying to get me to go to WWDC (see WWDC thread) - they didn't say anything about European events.

you would have thought that when they knew you were not going to wwdc, they would have said 'oh how about berlin?'

perhaps its a fake then...
  • Reply 10 of 126
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    nah, but i do think they will call him back in a couple of weeks. maybe jobs will be broadcast on a big vid screen atop the berlin wall.

Mr. Megahertz, let your myth go on no more.
  • Reply 11 of 126
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Unveiling in Germany? Leaked from Paris? I'm not sure. I think the poster is upset at all the wine boycotts. I know the iBook (I think) was unveiled in Japan (I think) but other then that, hasn't most HUGE and the BIGGEST releases or launches been in the states?
  • Reply 12 of 126
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Assuming this is true, and hush-hush, it lends some credence to the idea that Apple will show Panther running on a "hypothetical" 64-bit platform at WWDC, as they are wont to do, and they've arranged to do the same for select European developers, of which there are quite a few important ones (including eMagic, for one).

The actual release of the machines will come later; perhaps the "unknown" Apple executive giving a keynote at MWNY will do the honors?
  • Reply 13 of 126
    Amorph your bit about emagic doesn't make much sense as they're owned by Apple and don't have to be invited to anything except maybe an after work sushi party or two, also some of their top bods have actually re-located to Cupertino, Marcus Fritze for one .
  • Reply 14 of 126
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Central European Time is GMT-1, while Pacific Time is GMT+8: if they announce those 970-based Macs in Berlin they better do it after the WWDC keynote ends, which would make it well after 20:00 CET. I find this quite unlikely. If instead they unveil the 970 in Berlin at 9:00 CET can you guess the amount of cross-ocean leaks that will occurr in nine hours? It'd spoil everything Steve has to say...

Nice attempt, but I don't believe it.

ZoSo
  • Reply 15 of 126
    Maybe it's just a satellite recast of El Jefe's WWDC stevenote. I don't find that so hard to believe.
  • Reply 16 of 126
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Amorph your bit about emagic doesn't make much sense as they're owned by Apple and don't have to be invited to anything except maybe an after work sushi party or two, also some of their top bods have actually re-located to Cupertino, Marcus Fritze for one .

I was only using eMagic as an example of significant developers in Europe (and specifically Germany). I thought it would be obvious that Apple employees who need to know about the 970 would know about it by now.
  • Reply 17 of 126
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoSo

Central European Time is GMT-1, while Pacific Time is GMT+8: if they announce those 970-based Macs in Berlin they better do it after the WWDC keynote ends, which would make it well after 20:00 CET. I find this quite unlikely. If instead they unveil the 970 in Berlin at 9:00 CET can you guess the amount of cross-ocean leaks that will occurr in nine hours? It'd spoil everything Steve has to say...

Nice attempt, but I don't believe it.

ZoSo

Yep ZoSo is right... if an event were to be held in Europe it would have to start somewhere between 7PM/8PM WET or 8PM/9PM Middle Euro Time.

Ain't no way Steve would allow anyone to intro 970 based Macs in Europe at the same time (and never before) he does the intros himself in CA - 10AM PDT is the keynote start..

Start 10AM PDT = 1PM EDT = 6:00PM Western European Time

End 12PM PDT = 3PM EDT = 8:00PM Western European Time

Now if they did a sat-cast of the keynote for people in Europe then it could/would start at 6PM. And hey, a sat-cast could happen... but Apple might risk getting people mad (what else is new) who traveled to all the way to CA just to see the keynote (pretty expensive and silly trip if the keynote was the only thing they went for). WWDC is way more than just a 2 hour keynote.

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 126
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Now if they did a sat-cast of the keynote for people in Europe then it could/would start at 6PM. And hey, a sat-cast could happen...

A sat-cast would be nice! I wonder how long will I have to wait before I can watch the keynote highlights on a 3G phone while I have a pre-dinner drink with my friends, right between 6 and 8 PM (keynote time!)... Sometimes technology is fun!

ZoSo
  • Reply 19 of 126
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Start 10AM PDT = 1PM EDT = 6:00PM Western European Time

End 12PM PDT = 3PM EDT = 8:00PM Western European Time

A lot of folks seem to be thinking in absolutes based upon a preconcieved past history. The 970 is a whole new ball game. Steve Jobs likes surprises, and is not beyond deliberatly changing patterns to maintain the surprise. He may perceive a business advantage to concurrent announcements to court major players/developers/manufacturers in the European community. The time frames are consistent with a potential West European Announcement. I have no doubt that Europe is a market where Apple wants to make much bigger inroads and what better way to demonstrate its importance to Apple.

If the 970 is as big as rumors indicate, then a concurrent release/demonstration in Germany wouldn't be completely out of the question, especially if it is limited to a few "important" individuals. No doubt they would want to make sure it didn't supercede Steve's Keynote but the time frames are reasonable for a concurrent announcement.

It is all speculation at this point, but perhaps we should start listening for news of asian "events" after the WWDC keynote.
  • Reply 20 of 126
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

I think the poster is upset at all the wine boycotts.

I think the only boycotts worth mentioning are those of all the whining coming from the other side of the pond.