Horrific GPU's

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, all seems fine with the new G5's except when examining the default graphics cards. Geez, nVidia FX5200 for the lower end models and a paltry Radeon 9600 for the top model. Sure one can custom select the Radeon 9800 Pro, which is the top card out right now along with the soon shipping, for PC that is, FX5900, but for G5 Powermacs one could sure expect better, esp. at these prices. They should at least have a FX5600 Ultra for the two lower models, and a Radeon 9800 default for the top.

These cards, as of right now, can hardly play DOOM III in Medium quality mode, for wintel of course.

Reviews et evidencia can be found at tomshardware.com

I bet that Dell which is so infinitely more expensive had a better GPU and probably workstation certification, it was a Precision model.

Anyway, the new models are definitely cool, but the graphics cards are an insult to such a speedy machine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maxcom29

[ . . . ] Radeon 9800 Pro, which is the top card out right now [ . . . ]

Hmmm . . . maybe your right after all the fastest card available might nor be enough for some . .

. . . for some whiney arse bittches . . .
  • Reply 2 of 58
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    maybe they are so fast they dont need the best, and that keeps price down
  • Reply 3 of 58
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    the grass is always greener on the other side...

i can't believe this thread.

just out of curiosity, what gpu do you currently have and will you be in a position to purchase a dual-2Ghz tower with the Radeon 9800 any time soon?
  • Reply 4 of 58
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    You must be aware that the new macs are very expansive to built. I don't even speak of the mobo, wich is the more advanced in the whole PC industry, i just speak of the case. This is a piece of jewelry with no less than 9 fans with 4 inner cases in order to create four heat aeras. The result is a case three time less noisy than the G4.

The case is made of alu : this cost some bucks, much more than the previous case.

Most of the buyers of these machines won't be players, at least regular ones. The few will be able to buy an ATI radeon 9800 pro, the others will find these cards sufficiant for their needs.

For example i will buy two towers : one to be a server , and i can say that the video card is largely oversized for such a use.

I will buy a dual for me, i employ in the graphic aera photoshop or I movie (and perhaps final cut later), the radeon 9600 pro is much more than what i need.

Speaking of Graphics, the Mac G5 has a serious advantage, the power supply of the AGP 8 X pro is 75 watts. There is no need to use an external electric supply like in the PC world.

Just a question : how many people will buy a G5 just to play games ? answer in % of the sales are welcome. If you are interested you can make a poll.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    maxcom29maxcom29 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

the grass is always greener on the other side...

i can't believe this thread.

just out of curiosity, what gpu do you currently have and will you be in a position to purchase a dual-2Ghz tower with the Radeon 9800 any time soon?

Better believe it.

My fastest machine is a 3.0GHz Intel P4, with the 800Mhz FSB, 1.5GB 3200 DDR SDRAM, 2x120GB Western Digital HD on 133/ATA, is running the nVidia FX5800 (the "duster"). Built it myself for roughly 2000$.

To rephrase, those cards included as default right now suck at DOOM III as is right now. Of course DOOM III is still in production and id usually uses nVidia cards in their own machines, but it still says something. As of right now only the Radeon and the top FX cards can keep up with the game at high quality. Nuff said.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    Quote:

Better believe it.

My fastest machine is a 3.0GHz Intel P4, with the 800Mhz FSB, 1.5GB 3200 DDR SDRAM, 2x120GB Western Digital HD on 133/ATA, is running the nVidia FX5800 (the "duster"). Built it myself for roughly 2000$.

Mmmmkay..that's great. Stomps my current computer set-up into the dust.

But the question still stands. Are you going to buy a dual 2Ghz tower with a Radeon 9800? And if so, are you going to use it specifically for games? You'd be better of sticking to your Wintel box if all you want to do is play games.

Quote:

To rephrase, those cards included as default right now suck at DOOM III as is right now. Of course DOOM III is still in production and id usually uses nVidia cards in their own machines, but it still says something. As of right now only the Radeon and the top FX cards can keep up with the game at high quality. Nuff said.

So the only thing you can do with a G5 tower is play Doom3? Are you trying to justify a dual 2Ghz tower purchase by using Doom3 as an excuse? Besides, I'd expect better GPUs on the market once Doom3 is actually available anyways.

Besides, you've already got a Wintel game box that you're evidently prepping for Doom3, so why whine about the GPUs of the G5s?
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Mmmmkay..that's great. Stomps my current computer set-up into the dust.

But the question still stands. Are you going to buy a dual 2Ghz tower with a Radeon 9800? And if so, are you going to use it specifically for games? You'd be better of sticking to your Wintel box if all you want to do is play games.

So the only thing you can do with a G5 tower is play Doom3? Are you trying to justify a dual 2Ghz tower purchase by using Doom3 as an excuse? Besides, I'd expect better GPUs on the market once Doom3 is actually available anyways.

Besides, you've already got a Wintel game box that you're evidently prepping for Doom3, so why whine about the GPUs of the G5s?

All I'm saying is that top computers should ship with top graphics cards. That's they way it usually is with wintels. I will most likely buy a 1.8GHz model, with a Radeon 9800 Pro, in the hopes that DOOM III will ship for the mac at some point. Contrary to your psycho analysis of my previous post I do like macs much more and would love it if it was my only platform.

A year or two ago, apple was trying to sell the mac as a hot gaming platform, but this seems to have stopped, as can be seen from the current configurations.

By the way, anyone know if DOOM III takes advantage of DirectX 9 or if it uses opengl?
  • Reply 8 of 58
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Do you even have to ask? This is John Carmack you're talking about. Of course it uses OpenGL.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

[ . . . ]For example i will buy two towers : one to be a server , [ . . . ]

. . . and the other to send to Pfflam!!!!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 58
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

To rephrase, those cards included as default right now suck at DOOM III as is right now.

Right.

Maybe you can get it into your head that there are people who care shit about the Doom-III fps, people who actually want to work with their computer and who prefer - for good reason - not to have a vacuum blower installed in their computer.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    To stick a lowly GeForce FX 5200 *consumer-class* card in a pro machine is ridiculous. Apple finally manages to get machines out with great specs, memory bandwidth etc and what do they do? They cheap out and use piddly low-end cards in them.

I'm amazed at the people rationalizing why they don't need better graphics in there. Gotta love blind loyalty.

It should be 5600's in low ends, not the crippled 5200. Running a 5200 with AGP 8x Pro and fast cpus like the G5's is just plain silly. On the upper end, they should put the best they can get in there, not middle-of-the-road. Be it the ATI 9800 Pro or whatever.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:

All I'm saying is that top computers should ship with top graphics cards. That's they way it usually is with wintels. I will most likely buy a 1.8GHz model, with a Radeon 9800 Pro, in the hopes that DOOM III will ship for the mac at some point. Contrary to your psycho analysis of my previous post I do like macs much more and would love it if it was my only platform.

It's all good.

Last I heard, Doom3 was supposed to ship simult. again.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Buying a G5 to play Doom 3? OK so you have no life. People that need real gfx cards for movie studios in Hollywood don't care about these cards anyway. They buy specialized high end cards. And it's not Apple's fault NVIDIA and ATi aren't writing their drivers for their newest cards. Get over Macs have a smaller marketshare. You are TROLL.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

It should be 5600's in low ends, not the crippled 5200. Running a 5200 with AGP 8x Pro and fast cpus like the G5's is just plain silly. On the upper end, they should put the best they can get in there, not middle-of-the-road. Be it the ATI 9800 Pro or whatever.

That's fine, but if they did that we might be arguing about price and not the GPU.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Sure Job, because I'm sure going from 5200 to 5600 is gonna raise PMG5 prices dramatically.... uh huh. All I'm saying is no *consumer* graphics on a Pro machine. With those specs, its just silly and underutilizes the PMG5's.

Anyone wanting a DECENT graphics card on low and middle models now has to order straight from Apple and do BTO. Dumb.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Right.

Maybe you can get it into your head that there are people who care shit about the Doom-III fps, people who actually want to work with their computer and who prefer - for good reason - not to have a vacuum blower installed in their computer.

Dude Doom III as it is right now, runs at an unacceptable 17 fps on those cards. Only the top cards get over the mandatory 24fps.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Anyone wanting a DECENT graphics card on low and middle models now has to order straight from Apple and do BTO. Dumb.

Anyone wanting a DECENT one gets it on the low and mid range models. Anyone wanting a better one can get the top model. Anyone still bitching about no 9800 will never be satisfied, so don't ever buy a Mac again just to show them you mean business!!!
  • Reply 18 of 58
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    You can get the ATI 9800 Pro BTO with any of these machine, so your only complaint it that of price.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    Quote:

Sure Job, because I'm sure going from 5200 to 5600 is gonna raise PMG5 prices dramatically.... uh huh. All I'm saying is no *consumer* graphics on a Pro machine. With those specs, its just silly and underutilizes the PMG5's.

I thank you for your rational support. "May the force be with you."
  • Reply 20 of 58
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Do you think that every single professional that uses a Mac also does 3D rendering all the time? The vast majority of the developers that will be buying those machines will not need a 9800 Pro or a 5600 Pro. So calm down.