Best FM Transmitter

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm looking in to getting a transmitter for my iPod that I can also use at home connected to my Powerbook. I've heard of the iRock and the iTrip - and even saw one called the AudiaX FM Linker (anyone heard of that before). So I just wanted to know what people thought was the best FM transmitter.

I would mostly use it with the iPod in the car and transmit the tunes to my home stereo from the Powerbook (that isn't usually parked right next to the stereo).

Any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The iTrip has rave reviews but only works with the iPod. Other transmitters use extra batteries and can be used with anything with a headphone jack. If it is just for a iPod, definatly go with the iTrip. But if you want to use a laptop, you will have to get a different transmitter or cheap second line to your radio.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    the Belkin one sucks
  • Reply 3 of 45
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slotracer152

the Belkin one sucks

Actually it blows.

But seriously, I had nothing but problems with it from the moment I got it. I strongly recommend not buying it.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    macmikemacmike Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slotracer152

the Belkin one sucks

Anyone use anything that worked really well?
  • Reply 5 of 45
    ryyoryyo Posts: 19member
    http://www.macwhispers.com has a review of 4 FM transmitters, they rated the AudiaX as the higest quality in range, and near highest in sound. Good info!
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ryyo

http://www.macwhispers.com has a review of 4 FM transmitters, they rated the AudiaX as the higest quality in range, and near highest in sound. Good info!

I had heard the guy from MacWhispers wasn't exactly the most honest. At least on rumors and stuff. Can the MacWhispers review be trusted? Anyone used the AudiaX?
  • Reply 7 of 45
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...116100&loc=111

Anybody heard anything about this one. For eight bucks, I've been awfully tempted. I just figure there has to be a catch though.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member
    I've got an iTrip and I had one of those 8.99 types and the biggest difference is the selection of frequencies.

Without a huge range of tuneable frequencies your stuck, especially if you live in an urban area (as I do) awash in dozens of competing signals. Finding just one is often difficult.

iTrip has large selection and you tune them in via the iPod interface (though it's a little tough to do while you're driving).

Audio quality is pretty good, though seems to suffer from a little less high end than it needs. Adjusting my car stereo tone knobs seemed to compensate pretty well.

There are other higher quality options, but they are more expensive and cumbersome, often requiring a seperate dc adapter or batteries. The iTrip plugs into the iPod and draws off its batteries.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Has anyone tried this FM Transmitter:

http://www.aerielle.com/

According to the reviews I've seen it doesn't sound bad. A bit better range maybe.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    I just got my iTrip yesterday.... lemme just say, this thing is AWESOME. so easy to use... and the sound is wicked!!! It takes a few minutes to find some really dead stations to use it on, but once you've got that figured out, you're good to go. I highly recommend it.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Anyone got any info on using these in the UK.

I think they're technically illegal but I'm thinking of picking one up anyway the next time I'm in the states.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    There is a review of the iTrip in this weeks MacUser(UK), it got a rating of 4.5 Mice, and is distrubuted by Alta Technology 020 7978 6644... and yes at the moment it is illegal to use it in the UK.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    The iTrip is good if you are using it with an iPod. But what would you recommend if you wanted and FM transmitter to hook to a Powerbook? I was hoping to be able to hook one up and tune a few radios to the station in a couple rooms in my house (have the same music going on throughout the place). iTrip is only for iPods... what transmitter would you use instead?
  • Reply 14 of 45
    I've got an iRock. We used it to broadcast a DVD to a little ghetto blaster about two weeks ago. Excellent.

I once got it to broadcast to a natty Bang and Olufsen system in a house I was staying it by wrapping the power cable of my PowerBook around the flex and balancing it on top of a little metal statue of an antelope of some kind. The stereo was on the other side of the room. Again, excellent.

It's good in a car, too.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    There is also the transpod, but I am not sure if it works without a cigarette lighter.

Good Luck
  • Reply 16 of 45
    anyone know when the iTrip for the new iPods will be shipping?
  • Reply 17 of 45
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    The new iTrip for the 3G iPods doesn't included the firewire port so it should work with a PB right?
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Nope. The iTrip has a second interface tab next to the headphone jack that prevents it from being used in computers.

EDIT: See...

• Reply 19 of 45
    i need to get me one of these hurr iTrips fer my new iPod. They ain't in stock nowhurr - when does 'em come out?
  • Reply 20 of 45
    They were supposted to come out July 21! \