Best FM Transmitter

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    NOFEER: No way! I think I had both of your problems years ago. I don't know How to fix the cell phone one. (I just stopped using them) My cell phone would "Beep dudda-beep, dudda-beep, dudda-beep." every time it lost it's connection with the basestation. Drove me nuts because it was random, loud and I couldn't find what was causing it.

There are many causes for car noise. Here is just one. My car noise was caused by the spark plug cables in my car. There are 2 kinds of wires, resistance cables and coax cables. The cheap-o, standard cables you get are resistance. They last for a few years as long as you don't move them. After they hardened by engine heat, the wire can crack and the spark will jump across the gap, (called an arc) and release a burst of EM radiation that will hit your antenna and mess up your radio. You could replace the wires and that may help, but I recommend coax cables because they are higher performance and if they were to crack, the wire is shielded so it won't mess up your radio. Come to think of it, I think I need new wires again...
  • Reply 42 of 45
    apple's offering 10% off on the Monster FM transmitter, but it's still $69 (before discount); the iTrip is $35 and you can get a car charger for about $20 - that's still $15 cheaper for both the charger and the itrip compared to the Monster transmitter/charger.

I'm aware that the iTrip has more frequencies but that it's harder to tune.

Can anyone compare the Monster vs the Griffin iTrip? Are the number of frequencies offered on the Monster enought for downtown in a big city (like chicago)?

Why is the Monster more $$?

Do they sound the same? (iTrip vs Monster)
  • Reply 43 of 45
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    I got an iTrip for mine a few weeks ago (as I have no aux input on my car stereo grrr), and its been decent. Not the best sound ever, a bit muffled, but I didn't expect much from a little FM transmitter. For what it is, it works pretty darn good. As long as I don't compare it to CDs it sounds ok. I like how it just snaps on top of the iPod, no stupid wires or anything.

Changing the transmit frequency is a little more difficult than it could be, but it's really a non-issue for me. Never have to change it here in Kansas City, the default channel works fine.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    one more thing...

how does the sound of any of the FM transmitters compare the sound from the cassette-style adapters? I have a cassette adapter currently, and the sound is OK, but not great. Wondering if the transmitters are similar or markedly better or worse.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    I have the iTrip and live in, and use it exclusively, in the Philadelphia, PA metropolitan area. I found 107.3 to be the nicest and cleanest reception.