Bush to address nation on terrorism, iraq!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Bush to Address Nation on Terrorism, Iraq (CNN)

Of course, he's going to do it in only 15 minutes-- tele-prompted-- and with his heart on his sleeve....

Looks like a good move, politically:
  • -Remind the voters of the Bushy Boy they know best!

• -Kick off his return from a month-long vacation by probably vowing not to rest until.....his next month-long vacation.

I say he uses the word "evil" at least 5 times. All bets are now on the table.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    If I didn't know better, I would have thought you were his secret speech writer...Good synopsis there Sedge.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    PS:

What's the bet he'll manage to squeeze in these gems...

"Road Map to Peace "

" UN was right all along "

" I eat French Fries "

" Debts of poor countries absolved "

" Booming economy "

" I will not stand for re-aapointment "

" I stole the election "

" I am a weasel "

All jokes aside...

I find it particularly curious timing that the FBI issues a " world wide alert for 4 Al-Quaeda suspects " said to be on the loose somewhere in mainland USA....

But perhaps not....

Could it be that the FBI are trying for brownie points with the government ...?

Or that Bushe's Aides de Guerre are trying to stoke the flames of terrorism to justify the big chief's need for more money in Iraq..?

Actually, the FBI alert coming hot on the heels of Bush's Election speech about Iraq ( rally to the flag & all that ), would also help to keep voters minds off the growing unemployement issue...
  • Reply 3 of 29
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    40 mins. to go.

CNN has the inside scoop.

Nice quote from Senator McCain:
    Quote:

"It's the United States' war. We're the ones that started it. It's our responsibility to finish it," McCain told CBS. "We need more troops. We need more money. We need it quickly, and time is not on our side."

• Reply 4 of 29
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Gee, is there a big threat again?

-------------------------------------------------------------

" This will take time and require sacrifice. Yet we will do whatever is necessary -- we will spend whatever is necessary -- to achieve this essential victory in the war on terror," Bush will say. "

-------------------------------------------------------------

Man what a crock!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    quote by McCain:

"It's the United States' war. We're the ones that started it. It's our responsibility to finish it," McCain told CBS. "We need more troops. We need more money. We need it quickly, and time is not on our side."

At least someone is playing it straight. Is that why you mentioned it, Shawn? I guess you probably read the last fragment as alarmist, as it could be read. But don't you think it's pretty true? (Not a jab or a bait, despite the general ambience around here. )
  • Reply 6 of 29
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Hey this is a primetime address! Bravo, Bush.

Where are the WMD?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Hey this is a primetime address! Bravo, Bush.

Where are the WMD?

The CIA is working on it. They've got their best people plan...looking for them.

His speech was basically "We invaded when the world told us not to, now we can't deal with the mess we created, THEY BETTER FORK OVER TROOPS AND $$$$ ASAP NOW NOW NOW!"

The administration was so convinced that the Iraqis would welcome them with near-universial love and adulation, that when questioned before the war, they addressed questions of what would happen if this did not occur by claiming that such a contingency was virtually impossible.

Bush's post-war strategy in Iraq has been a failure. Now he wants to offload the responsibility onto anyone he can.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i had heard briefly on cnn headline news that pres. bush was going to name sept. 11th "patriot day," to be a national holiday of prayer and remembrance. does anyone know if he will bring this up during the address?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    We have a Memorial Day already. We should use it.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i had heard briefly on cnn headline news that pres. bush was going to name sept. 11th "patriot day," to be a national holiday of prayer and remembrance. does anyone know if he will bring this up during the address?

patriot day is ****ing stupid

Just make September 11 a holiday. Everyone knows September 11, as September 11.

doesn't need some stupid ass day
  • Reply 11 of 29
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Crap. I figured he'd at least roll out some revised 15" powerbooks!
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Y'know, having just watched it, you'd think that by now someone would have informed ol' Dubya that Iraq had nothing whatsoever to do with 9-11. He kept jumping the median back and forth between Iraqi Avenue and 9-11 Boulevard in his Ford Expedition, so to speak.

Seriously, It's been a kind of a while and he still mentions the two topics in the same breath. Maybe I should fire off an email to the Whitehouse or something.

Of all the things to spend 87 Billion dollars on (on top of however many billions already spent). Free college for everyone for ten years? Nah. Cleaning up the mess in Iraq.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Y'know, having just watched it, you'd think that by now someone would have informed ol' Dubya that Iraq had nothing whatsoever to do with 9-11. He kept jumping the median back and forth between Iraqi Avenue and 9-11 Boulevard in his Ford Expedition, so to speak.

I didn't see the speech, but I caught a short clip on the morning news today where he was talking about Iraq being 'center stage in the war on terror' (or something along those lines). I had to change away...they must have such a low opinion of the intelligence of the public to believe that we can swallow such blatant untruths.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

We have a Memorial Day already. We should use it.

Yup!
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Of all the things to spend 87 Billion dollars on (on top of however many billions already spent). Free college for everyone for ten years? Nah. Cleaning up the mess in Iraq.

you know what, i hadn't thought of it like that. there are so many people opposed to the war on iraq (like, um, 50% the country or something; statics forged by yours truly). i don't think nearly as many people would be opposed to education. if we could scrounge up 86 fvcking billion dollars for something I, for one, would like it spent on something many people could (quite directly) benefit from. i don't really like the idea of government paying for my education, or having to support me in that way, but if we can get that much money together, it should be put to something domestic. there are so many things that could benefit from such a large sum of money. i don't like war being such a monetary (and physical) burden. for an ignorant savage, does anyone know how much money various government projects get? $87B seems like a lot to me for (1 year) of warring, but maybe my scale is off.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Of all the things to spend 87 Billion dollars on (on top of however many billions already spent). Free college for everyone for ten years?

Try here.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I'm still fuzzy on how 87 billion dollars later, this gov't is still considered 'conservative.'

I'd like to see 'all out debt-inducing wasteful wanton spending.' Maybe I've gone my entire life misunderstanding "conservative" and what it means?!

Between blurry-eyed mentions of 'freeing' (ie: conquering) Iraqis from their evil tyrant leader, and all this spending, the republicans look like some sort of twisted parody of a bleeding heart liberal. Well, they would, if it wasn't such an obvious ruse.

But it is.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

I'm still fuzzy on how 87 billion dollars later, this gov't is still considered 'conservative.'

I'd like to see 'all out debt-inducing wasteful wanton spending.' Maybe I've gone my entire life misunderstanding "conservative" and what it means?!

Between blurry-eyed mentions of 'freeing' (ie: conquering) Iraqis from their evil tyrant leader, and all this spending, the republicans look like some sort of twisted parody of a bleeding heart liberal. Well, they would, if it wasn't such an obvious ruse.

But it is.

SHHHHHHH!!!! They're hoping no one has noticed!
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Most Depressing Link Ever

And infuriating. How can the nationalist protectionists justify such a useless, fycking waste. I'm sick of Republican "values". They are in the shithole. I beg Scott or SDW or Groverat or any of the pro-war group to explain how this better secures our nation's future than would educating our youth.

You're right, it doesn't. But maybe after this we'll be better off? This will be over $166 Billion after this year and next for both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Wow.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

You're right, it doesn't. But maybe after this we'll be better off? This will be over $166 Billion after this year and next for both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Wow.

Gee! 87 billion would create decent jobs for the 2.5 million jobs lost during the 2 and a half years of Bush Administration for a whole year!