Honey I shrunk the Mac - I wish!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
There is no doubt in my mind that the G5 case is so big oir two reasons.

1. To stop it from being rack mounted.

2. To accomodate the cooling system.

Frankly, I think its size is detrimental, i fior one don't want anything that big on my desk no matter how quiet it is. It was Steve who brought us the cube just to address this very issue so it cannot have escaped him how un-mac like this form factor really is.

So what is going to happen from here is the G5 going to shrink after a G5 -Xserver is released, or are we likely to see a new machine to run along side the G5 or are we just stuck like this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Frankly, I think its size is detrimental, i fior one don't want anything that big on my desk no matter how quiet it is.

So, put it under it or next to the desk like the millions of other computer users.

Look at the Yosemite tower. Consider how long Apple kept that same design with only minor modifications. I think you can expect the same with the new G5 tower.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    A bit sad actually... I for one dont like the G5 tower, since its so big and unfunctional...

If I could, I would like a Quicksilver case.. They are the prettiest..
  • Reply 3 of 26
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Unfunctional?

You ever popped one open???

The internals are positively a dream for any shop with dozens or hundreds of them. Swap out a drive? Pop two cables (right in front, no more tantric wrist contortions to get to them), flip a lever, it slides right out. Slide the new one in, push it in place, connect the two cables (did I mention they're now nicely right in front?). That's it.

The internals are better designed than the outside, IMNSHO, and I *like* the look of the beast. Very sleek, very sturdy.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I think he was refering to the single optical drive.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I think he was refering to the single optical drive.

External expansion is always an option. It's not like an optical drive needs the bandwidth, and there is something to be said for external expansion. It's portable for one.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    i know people said this about the last g4 case design... but... all that cooling and internal space suggests that there might be 4 processor systems on the way. when the process hits .09 then the cpus might not need a cantelope sized heat sink each, and there will be room for two more processor.

i for one am quite disapointed that there is only room for two interenal and one external drives... the case is huge and this is the professional product, there should be more room for expanision.

j
  • Reply 7 of 26
    The case is so big because of dual-processor models. But the single-processor models are NOT user-upgradable to duals, so there is at least 3" of vertical space in there which is forever wasted for single-processor purchasers.

The case is beautifully engineered, no question. But it's very tall.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

The case is so big because of dual-processor models. But the single-processor models are NOT user-upgradable to duals, so there is at least 3" of vertical space in there which is forever wasted for single-processor purchasers.

The case is beautifully engineered, no question. But it's very tall.

The case is too big....waaa.....

The Imac is too small..... waaaa.....

It's not upgradeable enough.....waaaa

I can't fit 10 drives and 20 video cards in it..... waaaa

The resolution is too low....waaa

The mouse has only one button..... waaaa

My peepee hurts ....WAAAAAAA
  • Reply 9 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Let's keep this civil.

The tradeoffs made in the G5's case have been gone over: quiet and ease of internal expansion trumped size and amount of internal expansion.

This is the first version of an all-new case design for Apple, and they clearly designed it with a lot of room for growth. It will be refined over time.

But it's definitely a pro case. Keep in mind that there are a lot of different pros with a lot of different needs, and for some (and possibly even most) people it's a net win over the MDD PowerMac. All the internal expansion in the world won't help you if it's too loud to use, or if the air circulation is so bad that the case overheats when it's fully loaded.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Let's keep this civil.

The tradeoffs made in the G5's case have been gone over: quiet and ease of internal expansion trumped size and amount of internal expansion.

This is the first version of an all-new case design for Apple, and they clearly designed it with a lot of room for growth. It will be refined over time.

But it's definitely a pro case. Keep in mind that there are a lot of different pros with a lot of different needs, and for some (and possibly even most) people it's a net win over the MDD PowerMac. All the internal expansion in the world won't help you if it's too loud to use, or if the air circulation is so bad that the case overheats when it's fully loaded.

Hey now.

Just messing with you guys. Its all in fun.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Hey now.

Just messing with you guys. Its all in fun.

Please put smilies next time you mess with us. So we know you're joking.

"Can you tell if a person is lying by the expression on their face?"

"No."
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Please put smilies next time you mess with us. So we know you're joking.

"Can you tell if a person is lying by the expression on their face?"

"No."

I just use smileys a lot but here goes:

;D
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

I just use smileys a lot but here goes:

;D

I mean I don't.....
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I hope that Apple will consider a pro-machine with a smaller case in the near future.

Real estate is very valuable here in Japan and I wouldn't want to see Apple lose sales here because their flagship is too big. If I remember correctly, Japan is (used to be?) Apple's second largest market.

To give you an idea of how crowded it is right here, imagine this: Grab half the population of the U.S. and cram them into an area approximately the size of California. Next build a mountain range including active volcanos across the entire length of the islands and thus reducing the habitable land area. Next build 4 or 5 major cities and move half of the Japanese population into those cities. I believe that Tokyo has the second or third highest population density in the world.

A lot of homes and offices have desks that are barely wide enough for a full-length keyboard. Apple used to make special compact keyboards for Japan during the beige days but that hasn't happened in a while. I think only two companies: Apple and Dell still sell full-size towers here. Actually, Apple is probably the only company that doesn't sell a mini-tower which seems to be the second most popular form here (after laptops).

This may seem insignificant for those living the rest of the world, but if you wish that Apple succeeds and increases it's market share, I think that Apple can grow by having a smaller-case G5.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Well, somebody has to say it?

G5 Cube.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    I'll take a big case over a loud computer any day.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Well, somebody has to say it?

G5 Cube.

I agree, but not for a couple of years. The big news in PCs these days is the Shuttle-style case - last time I was in Micro Center they had three different brands available. They have upgradable video and one PCI slot.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    the g5 case is a work of art (have you actually seen one?... wow) if apple removed the handles and made it smaller, you'd complain, so stop. personally, i want to show off my g5 when i get it (i havent ordered yet) i think they're a strong statement of power and simplicity. go build your own case or get a pc...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    eh, no more cube. Apple would never make another cube. Now a pyramid thats a different story.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    You know what I miss? The desktop form factor. The desktop is now so rare people regularly refer to minitowers and towers that aren't servers as "desktops".

The idea's quite simple: You put the computer under the monitor. Chances are the monitor needs raising anyway. This way you save desk space, and you still have the computer - with its DVD tray, power button, USB ports, etc, right there on your desk.

You usually end up with a box with a lot of expansion potential, it's just a little more fiddly. I have two old Beige G3s, one desktop, one minitower, and they're identical in expandability except for external drive bays. And, let's be honest, the G5 doesn't have many of those anyway.

Apple doesn't have to drop the tower. It'll still sell like hot cakes. It'd be nice though to have the alternative available. Or wouldn't a desktop G5 sell?