Is Apple's BT mouse worth it?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The title says it all.

Wouldn't it be worth it to get a nice Bluetooth mouse that has a two buttons and a scroll wheel? Who makes a Bluetooth two-button mouse with scroll wheel that is Mac-compatible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    For $70, certainly not. Even if you're one of those people who prefers a single button over a multi-button mouse, $70 is overpriced for this mouse.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other Mac-compatible bluetooth mice. Unlike the regular Pro Mouse, which can be obtained for cheap from anyone who is replacing theirs after buying a new computer, you can't get the bluetooth mouse for very cheap. Anyone who bought one would be someone who thinks it's worth $70, and they're too new for many to be available used. So I guess you're just stuck paying the money for one or waiting for a different company's bluetooth mouse to come out.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

The title says it all.

Wouldn't it be worth it to get a nice Bluetooth mouse that has a two buttons and a scroll wheel? Who makes a Bluetooth two-button mouse with scroll wheel that is Mac-compatible?

Microsoft I believe. Their intellimouse should work seemlessly. But i have not seen it in action yet.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

The title says it all.

It's very nice range-wise. Nice weight IMHO too. A bit fragile if dropped (batteries fly out too easily).

But I HATE HATE HATE (hate) the fact that there are no system-wide click-and-hold options in Mac OS X nor are any of the alternatives worthwhile (Ittec/Fruit Menu) since they are Finder-only.

A one button mouse is utterly wonderful if you have a Finderpop-like utility. But in Mac OS X one button is almost a hinderance.

Had Apple made it a one-surface touch sensitive mouse using iPod tecnology for 2 button regions plus a scroll strip, we'd have it made.

Next time maybe.

So, yeah, you can get 3rd party mice. I tend to buy mice every 6 months and the menagerie is full. I'm using the Apple BT now and am happy aside from the above. But I can't really give advice as to what to do, just my views.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Had Apple made it a one-surface touch sensitive mouse using iPod tecnology for 2 button regions plus a scroll strip, we'd have it made.

Wow that would be awesome!
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Wow that would be awesome!

Kinda like this ?

• Reply 6 of 30
    That uses press-o-matic technology, guaranteed to make you wish you were born without a right index finger within one hour of use.

Seriously, that freaking Kensington Studio Mouse is such a crock. It's a good idea, but if it were very sensitive like the iPod's touchwheel, it would be awesome. It's not though. You have to press down really hard to get the thing to register. You think scroll wheels are bad for your fingers... this must be ten times worse.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by bruck

Microsoft I believe. Their intellimouse should work seemlessly. But i have not seen it in action yet.

I can confirm that. I have a 450 AGP Tower, and a buddy of mine has the MS BT Mouse. I pluged the dongle into the keyboard and it said low power. I pluged it into my powered hub and it worked right away. The mouse worked right out of the box. He also has a Nokia 7650 I think it's called and it worked too. We were able to sync adresses including the pics. File transfer also worked. Funny thing is, it doesn't work on windows. MS wrote the BT driver to only communicate with the mouse. For his phone he needs to get a seperate dongle. Fortunately for him, he found a way to patch the driver using some components of a Dell and some other driver. Now it sort of works like is does with the Apple drivers incuded in X.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Kinda like this ?

I love the way that mouse looks but I've only heard bad things about it. Apple would have to do a mouse like the Pro Mouse only with a iPod scroll type in the center and the one button body of the mouse only clicks left or right when the mouse clicks. So it would be touch sensitive (like the buttons on their displays only without the cool glowing effect) but it would have to actually click it too. That is what I want.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    The Kensington wireless Studio Mouse sucks, it's been sitting in my drawer for the past 3 months.

It feels very cheap, unlike the Logitech MX700 which feels and operates great.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

The Kensington wireless Studio Mouse sucks, it's been sitting in my drawer for the past 3 months.

It feels very cheap, unlike the Logitech MX700 which feels and operates great.

I'd love to pay you for shipping if you sent it to me
  • Reply 11 of 30
    I don't see why people are getting brainwashed to feel they need to get a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I got a 30.00 Logitech Internet Keyboard and a 30.00 Logitech Optical mouse.

why spend 170.00 so that Apple can just snip your cables and conforms you to buying batteries for each device? A device that keeps costing you a little bit each couple of months. Makes no sense to me.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by SF_VR6

I don't see why people are getting brainwashed to feel they need to get a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I got a 30.00 Logitech Internet Keyboard and a 30.00 Logitech Optical mouse.

why spend 170.00 so that Apple can just snip your cables and conforms you to buying batteries for each device? A device that keeps costing you a little bit each couple of months. Makes no sense to me.

Well the way I have my computer set up now (tower), it was very annoying to have a cord as it would get caught or pinched often limiting my movement. Having cordless is awesome now! I will probably get a bluetooth mouse (anyone link me to some good ones?!) for my powerbook. The only reason for a wireless keyboard I can see is if you are running at 1024x768 or lower on a 17" monitor or some sort of screen where the viewing is visible from greater then 6 feet away.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I'm looking at an apple bluetooth keyboard and a MS intellimouse for a powerbook 12inch. I love the idea of sitting down with my laptop, and only having to plug in power!

I'm pretty shocked that Apple still insists on the single button mouse, even inexpierianced users have come to accept multi button mice. Give us a scroll wheel, at the least...
  • Reply 14 of 30
    No, dont get the APple mouse. Look into the Logitech MX700m or the upcoming MX900. THe 700 uses radio, the 900 uses bluetooth (either the internal apple one or the one in its caharging station)

great mouse!

revs
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by revs

No, dont get the APple mouse. Look into the Logitech MX700m or the upcoming MX900. THe 700 uses radio, the 900 uses bluetooth (either the internal apple one or the one in its caharging station)

great mouse!

revs

Are you sure that the MX900 doesn't need the charging station and works with just the internal Apple BT module?

• Reply 16 of 30
    does the MS intellimouse work with the built in Apple BT adapter? I thought it only worked with the dongle it came with.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    What I would really love Apple to produce, instead of their BT keyboard and mouse, is a wired keyboard (i see no advantage having the keyboard wireless), and a wireless BT mouse that, at the end of the day, fits into a nice and small cradle on the keyboard.

That keeps the mouse charged, no expensive replacable batteries, and it gives you all the advantages.

As I said, i see no practical advantages of having the keyboard wireless, other than the "look at this factor".

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Kinda like this ?

I can only say Apple missed that one.. Kensington pegged the design of that. I mean really No dock Apple? common and is the Scrool "wheel" a touchpad for scrolling deal?

flick
  • Reply 19 of 30
    The scroll pad on the Kensington Studio Mouse is kind of like a touchpad with a couple layers of opaque plastic covering it (the kind of plastic that would make up a large, sturdy plastic bag with handles). It doesn't feel like a touchpad, there is more friction than that and it's not nearly as sensitive.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    that kesington mouse SUCKS! i bought one, and i regret it completely.

oh well.

the BT wireless woks great, BTW.