Best stuff on Earth - NyQuil

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I've been sick the last week, haven't gone in to work, just have just been miserable with this flu garbage that's going around.

We have some cold medicine around the house, but there never really did that much for me. So tonight I cracked. It's the worst tasting substance on Earth, but oh my Lord, does it do the JOB!!!

So tonight, raise a glass to the green goop that makes life worth living again when you're sick.

I can't believe I ever doubted you my disgusting green love, you may taste like ass, but BOY do you work.

I've also decided that as a parent, this is how I'll know if/when my kids are sick. If they're so sick that they ask for NyQuil, I know they're sick. I almost gagged getting the stuff down, but since then, it's been smooth sailing. No more coughing, no more blowing my nose, my lungs don't ache anymore, and the headache from coughing is gone. These guys deserve a Nobel prize in chemistry for this brew.

THANK YOU

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I got sick a lot in High School. Good times....
  • Reply 2 of 31
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You should hear Dennis Leary's comedy routine on NyQuil sometime:

Big "N", Little "y", GIANT F*CKING "Q"!!!

(musically)

NyQuil, NyQuil, NyQuil, we love you, you giant F*CKING "Q"!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    gf10gf10 Posts: 27member
    I buy the Cherry NyQuil and DayQuil in bulk. I seem to get sick twice a year and go through that stuff like candy.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Nyquil is good...but Alka Seltzer Cold is better. Ask any fireman.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member

Robo-chow is pretty good too!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    perhaps, but the magic of NyQuil is that is knocks you out as fast as a tranq dart.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Love the stuff... Is your cold so bad that you can't sleep because you begin to suffocate when you are laying down? NyQuil! Take two shots and if you aren't near your bed you better get there fast. I didn't discover the wonders of the Big F'ing Q until about 6 years ago. All those miserable nights before that? Never again.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

perhaps, but the magic of NyQuil is that is knocks you out as fast as a tranq dart.

Half a shot, and I can barely make it back to my bed.

Here in Germany their version isn't as potent as in the States. Unbelievably, it has lower alcohol content. What's up with that?

Then there's the story of a German colleague in the States. He was sick and was taking some medicine. He kept complaining to our boss that the medicine didn't seem to help. He was just getting more and more tired, as he took more and more medicine.

So he was taking NyQuil before going to work everyday for a few days. I'm amazed he was able to drive at all.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Last time I was in Vegas, NyQuil saved me. My wife got totally sick the day we left, and my holiday would have revolved around being her bloody nurse if it weren't for this stuff.

She was a trooper during the day, but was a wreck after supper. I'd set her up in bed, give her a wicked dose, and go have a shower. She'd be toast by the time I was all shined up, and I'd head out for the night.

OH THE THINGS I DID.

So yes, thank you Big Q.

• Reply 10 of 31
    you know what goes good with NyQuil?

barry white records! i'm totaaly serious.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    best cold medicine e-v-a-r...

(except for airborne from trader joes. tht stuff ROCKS but has no alcohol. thus the second place.)
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

... you may taste like ass, but BOY do you work.

thankfully i've never had the pleasure
  • Reply 13 of 31
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It's the alcohol + antihistamine that knocks you on your ass. Vodka + Benadryl does the same thing. (not that I'd ever suggest anyone do that, of course -oblegalcrap)

"You know why you always see people taking NyQuil in bed in the ads? Because if you take it while you're in the kitchen *THAT'S WHERE YOU ****ING WAKE UP*!"
  • Reply 14 of 31
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the weird part is it doesn't knock me out, just kind of slows down reality.

i still didn't go to bed until 2 in the morning after taking a double dose on an empty stomach. i think all those years drinking in Madison upped my tolerance.

but today, i feel 10 times better than i have in a week. that stuff is a godsend. i must say though, i had some really ****ed up dreams.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Yeah, it doesn't cure anything, but when you just want to sleep...

I took some of that stuff last week when I had a head cold. Drink it down... 2... 3... whammo.

Never tell a doctor you're using it, though. They hate that stuff, because it just throws a lot of alcohol and a wheelbarrow full of meds at your problem instead of targeting it.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    NyQuil is the sniznat of cold remedies (go with Cherry flavored (pun intended))! I don't know how it works, but it works because with most night times medications, I go to sleep feeling OK but wake up with booger-encrusted nostrils, lung-biscuits and a sore throat.

With NyQuil I wake up and feel almost human. It's the one true miracle drug.

• Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

the weird part is it doesn't knock me out, just kind of slows down reality.

that's why barry white is so nice with it...
  • Reply 18 of 31
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Don't know why this one did not qualify as a Short Thread - see earlier ref.- who would have known the level of interest in Nyquil? - but may I suggest that a bit of whisky and lemon tastes better. As for those other chemicals, they don't willingly get past my lips.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to include the honey and hot water. I don't know if it does any real good, but who cares.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    You guys are hilarious. I'm having a NyQuil party soon. If you're in the SoCal vicinity feel free to drop by.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    gf10gf10 Posts: 27member
    Or you can 'sip on siz-erp' if you really want to get f'ed up.