A PeeCee user tried to convert me...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A friend's roommate tried to convince me that PeeCees were superior to Macs today. His biggest argument was that PeeCees crash more because "An indy car breaks down more because it has to do more than a soapbox derby racer." I didn't buy that one. I asked him if he accepted his computer's frequent shortcomings as normal because he felt that he could do more with a PeeCee. Apparently he does. Next was; "If Macs are better, than why does 90% of the world use Windoze?" At which point I informed him that 90% of the world is generally unhappy with their computers. He than tried to tell me that Macs were built for retards that had no idea how to use a computer. (He is obviously getting desperate here.) I just laughed. I managed to shut him up quite a few times.

By the way...he is a computer science major, computer engineering minor. He knows quite a bit about competitors. I don't consider myself an expert of any kind, but I would consider myself the winner of the argument for the time being.

Any "ammo" that I can use against him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Do it for the good of the Mac users all over the world! 8)

The most mature thing he did was telling me that he had to leave to go study his computer science. At which point he said "PC's rule!" and signed off. He needs some work on his grammar and punctuation.

Edit: (You will also find this in a later post, I just wanted to clear some things up.

I wasn't saying any of this to brag about how much I can argue with people about operating systems. I'm not a big geek, just a regular geek I posted this because I thought it was funny that he tried to get me to go over to Wintell computers. I didn't start the argument, nor did I finish it. I was talking to my friend (his roommate) and he overheard something about Macs and started bashing. He got his last word in (PC's rule!) and I went on with my life. I found it funny that he got so worked up about it and all I did was laugh while his face got more and more red. I'm sorry if I put a false impression out there about myself or the PeeCee guy.

But I still love Macs

And no, I don't go to NMU.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Heh. Computer Science majors shouldn't be that closed-minded.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Most of the CS department here use macs. All the profs for sure, and the CS department here is pretty high-end. Nobody in the CE group of the EE department here is a macer (that I know of) but CE people, as you'll find, tend to be a very closed minded, inside-the-box, RTFM kind of bunch. Of course, if you read any Intro to CompArch textbook, you'll find a lot of references to the x86, and specifically how ridiculous it is.

Us signals guys are much more fun The keggers are there to prove it.

Anyway, what year is this guy? I may still know more about CompArch. . .
  • Reply 3 of 53
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    It's nearly impossible, hummm, scratch that, it IS impossible to prove a point with someone who has false data. If you want to shut him up, strip away the false. That's the tricky part. Otherwise it's pointless.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Heh. Computer Science majors shouldn't be that closed-minded.

s/Computer Science majors/people/g

(is it wrong to think in regex?)

the best way to deal with a closed minded pc person, is to ignore them. they are probably just as zealous for their platform as you are for yours, or me for mine, or him for his, etc. maybe this cs major intends to someday build some great antivirus software. without pcs he would then be useless.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

s/Computer Science majors/people/g

(is it wrong to think in regex?)

Heh, had to think about that for a minute, but I kinda learned a little Perl Regex in my software engineering class this semester. Of course it can be extended generally, but specifically for people who should know what they're talking about, it's unacceptable.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Many of the CS people on campus here wish they could have Macs, but the University issues IBM ThinkPads to every student except for the Art students who are given iBooks.

Anyway, a good deal of CS students that actually take time to evaluate a modern Mac OS X machine are generally quite pleased with it overall.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

His biggest argument was that PeeCees crash more because "An indy car breaks down more because it has to do more than a soapbox derby racer."

Worst car anology ever.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    4 oses one box

linux

unix

windows

mac os

and unlike in windows: you can run them all at the same time and switch between them.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Worst car anology ever.

Yes, this type of analogy could only apply to exagerate overclocking PC when the CPU toast
  • Reply 10 of 53
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Have you considered kindly suggesting that he suck something, and then go straight to hell.

Desperate times, desperate measures and all that.

Or you COULD simply ignore the goon and not waste precious chunks of your life quibbledicking with someone who's never going to see your way (and who you're not going to agree with either).

Kinda why I left AppleOutsider...

• Reply 11 of 53
    As a person with a BA in philosophy and a minor in computer science, I can say with some confidence that getting involved in an argument of that nature is completely futile, unless you just enjoy that sort of thing. You can't 'win' a battle of differing opinions. You just need to accept that not eveyone sees the facts in the same way or agrees on what they mean. The world has far too much diversity and variety for any one answer to be 'right' for everybody.

Or, to borrow a popular quote, "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded."

Just my $0.02
  • Reply 12 of 53
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yes, I agree with pscates. Tell this guy to leave you alone and quit bugging you, you have made your choice of computing platforms and you're sticking to it. PC vs. Mac arguments are NEVER worth getting into, because you never win, and you look like a huge nerd doing it. Maybe you are a huge nerd anyway but I still like to avoid getting overly emotional about something as inconsequential as what operating system you use.

So just tell him to shut up and you have your reasons. If he keeps pestering you, tell him you're not bothering him about choosing Windows, or just punch him in the mouth.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue27

Many of the CS people on campus here wish they could have Macs, but the University issues IBM ThinkPads to every student except for the Art students who are given iBooks.

Anyway, a good deal of CS students that actually take time to evaluate a modern Mac OS X machine are generally quite pleased with it overall.

You don't happen to go to NMU do you?
  • Reply 14 of 53
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    With the least amount of offense possible, I will just say that these threads are embarassing. Fighting with "PeeCee" users about Macs is as ridiculous as using the term "PeeCee". I can be passionate about using a Macintosh, but these fanboy threads are a little over the top.

Sorry, I just think there are far better things you can do with your time than argue with some dolt about his computer. If someone prefers to work with a Windows PC, there is nothing wrong with that.

In fact, now that iTunes is available for Windows, they're looking less and less evil to me.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Some people like to remain ignorant, let him be happy in his world. He anyhow doesn't deserve to have a mac or the computer science degree for being so f*cking closed minded.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    If you want to impress a PeCee person, bring your mac to a lan party, and watch and laugh at how long it takes them all to "see" each other over the network. I did that this weekend. that shut a bunch of them up.

the only retort they had was "its to bad you can't play Battle field" which is sad but its improving right guys/gals?

flick.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    murbot! It's fanboi ! LoCash told you a thousand times!
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

snip

quibbledicking

snip

This is the best new word I've seen for years.

I'm going to be using it.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Any "ammo" that I can use against him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Do it for the good of the Mac users all over the world! 8)

I would compliment him...and then ignore him:

Tell him that you think that he has a bright future in computer science and good job prospects for many, many years of work at Microsoft on new security patches for XP, Longhorn, and their successors.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Influenza

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded."