Sale: Powerbook w/ Final Cut Pro 3, After Effects 5.5 , Office v. X & more

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I apologize if this is in the wrong category. Please move to the appropriate category if need be.

I'm selling my Powerbook on eBay with a whole bunch of software pre-installed on it.

Update: Auction ended without any bidders. I didn't get the amount that would make it worth it to me to sell my machine so I am going to keep it. Thanks for your interest and your feedback... And a special thanks to Matsu for spending his entire Saturday night watching my auction for me. Must have been exciting!

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: eric ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    ericeric Posts: 25member
    double post

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: eric ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 37
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Dude, that price seems pretty high but it's your machine so do what you want with it.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 37
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    yea, not to take anything away from it but Apple is selling Powerbook G4/500s for 1599 @ their website.

the software is nice but its all licensed to you.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>yea, not to take anything away from it but Apple is selling Powerbook G4/500s for 1599 @ their website.

the software is nice but its all licensed to you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are they really? Where? Not in the specials or edu...
  • Reply 5 of 37
    The price is high for just the machine but I put in alot of work to install all the software, which itself is worth thousands of dollars. Again, if you do not own the license to any of the software, it is YOUR responsibility to erase it.

You can justify the price when you consider the convenience of having all that software pre-installed so the machine is ready to use as soon as it gets into your hands.

i cant find the $1600 powerbooks you mention but I am sure that they come with the OS and the iApps pre-installed only

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: eric ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 37
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by MJE:

<strong>

Are they really? Where? Not in the specials or edu...</strong><hr></blockquote>

damn.. they must have sold em all.

they were up there as late as a few days ago.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    Damn you, you got my hopes up. Yeah I was eyeing them for a while but didn't have the cash yet. But you can get a NEW G4 400 @ smalldog for 1499.00. Ohh well
  • Reply 8 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by eric:

<strong>The price is high for just the machine but I put in alot of work to install all the software, which itself is worth thousands of dollars. Again, if you do not own the license to any of the software, it is YOUR responsibility to erase it.

You can justify the price when you consider the convenience of having all that software pre-installed so the machine is ready to use as soon as it gets into your hands.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's one of the lamest excuses I've ever heard. Just fess up, dude, you're trying to charge people extra for a pre-warez-ified computer. You're not charging extra for "pre-installing," you're charging extra for software sold without the license. Sheesh.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Please don't include those "pre-installed" apps with the package and sell it at the higher price
  • Reply 10 of 37
    It's your machine, so sell it for whatever you want. However, as said above, that's a lame excuse for charging such a high price. The first thing I do, when I get a used machine, is reinstall all the software myself for security reasons, and so I have a clean slate. (See this <a href="http://www.macscripter.net/un_ilojack.html"; target="_blank">related MacScripter article</a>.) I even reformat my Windows hard drive every six months, because after awhile many applications get corrupted and stop working (but I beat on it pretty hard).

EDIT: Bad article location.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 37
    It's a free market. If my price is too high, then nobody will bid on it. I'm not forcing anyone to buy my Powerbook.

And as for the software, it does take time to install software and time is money.

Deleting software is quick and easy so the new owner will be able to quickly delete the software which he/she does not own the license to.

And again, if you think the price is too high, then don't bid!
  • Reply 12 of 37
    I won't bid, but I also won't hesitate to say you're lame for advertising this great big long list of pre-installed warez, and then pretending that you're NOT using thousands of dollars of free software as a selling point.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    1600 seems way too high, a refurbed iBook 600 is only 1349...

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: strazi ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 37
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    You are nuts.

You should have started the bidding at like $10 and put a reserve on it.

Yes you are charging this much cause you are offering software illegally. I had a friend post an auction like this and eBay pulled it cause of the software violations.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Even with all of the illegal software, it will never sell for $1600. Someone not adverse to using unlicensed software will spend $1600 on a used/refurbished G4 PowerBook, and download pirated software.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    ouch eric... remove that ASAP. That's illegal, and soon eBay will be on your tail on that. Rather than go thru the mess like a mate did (had a computer with warez, like you he was charging for 'preloading software' that you and him do not own licenses to, where he got exposed, the auction was pulled and ebay reported it to the cops, still waiting on where to now).

Remove it, before someone here thinks your lame enough to report you to ebay. Trust me, that's easy to justify, this is really lame
  • Reply 17 of 37
    First of all, I don't even know what "warez" are.

Second of all, this machine was originally $3,499 not too long ago.

You guys may not think it is worth $1,600 but that doesn't mean that somebody else will not. That is half what it cost new. It is not worth it to me to sell my computer cheaper so if someone does not buy it at that price, I am going to keep it.

As for all these accusations, you guys paint me like I am the sole bad guy but search ebay and read the descriptions for most Powerbok auctions. Most people advertise software that they are leaving on the computer and many have similar lists to what I do. I am one of the only people to actually write in the description that the software must be deleted if the license is not owned.

I'm sorry to everyone who this has offended and since the people who have posted here seem to think the price is too high, then it won't sell. If it does sell, I am thinking about not serializing the programs. Installing them but forcing the new owner to enter his/her serial number for the programs to actually run.

I apologize to those who think I'm lame. I'm just a guy who likes Macs who is trying to get back half of what he paid for a machine not too long ago.

And again, as those for those who think the price is too high, then don't bid and if you are right, then nobody else will either.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    I re-read my listing and see how it can be misleading and why many of you are reacting the way you are. Software piracy is not my intention. I re-wrote the paragraph about the pre-installed programs to make my intentions more clear. The programs will no longer be pre-installed by default. The buyer now must send me a list of the programs he/she owns the license to and only those programs will come on the drive. I truly believe I am offering a service by pre-installing software, did pay twice this amount for the machine, and this is the price I am willing to sell it at. If it doesn't sell, then that is my problem but thanks for your concern.

-Eric
  • Reply 19 of 37
    eric, you may not be a pirating warez-hound, but you are most certainly breaking your license agreements (assuming you have them) for all those products and you are breaking the law (copyright law).

Pick one license agreement and read it. In all likelihood, the agreement you read will have words to the effect that you may transfer (give or sell) your license to these softwares by transferring the original media and destroying any copies you have. You certainly may not make copies of the software ("pre-installing") for others who, by affidavit or otherwise, affirm that they have license to the software.

What you are doing is illegal. Plain and simple.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    spotbug -- Thank you for the information. I will review the license agreements and will make the appropriate adjustments to my auction as soon as I determine what is legal. I do not wish to break the law and if I determine that I am doing so after reading the agreements, I will cancel all bids (if there are any) and change the auction to comply with the terms of the software agreements.

I am trying to offer convenience, not break the law and will not go through with the sale until I determine its legality. In the meantime, I will allow people to bid but will reserve the right to cancel the sale.