apple.com Navigation Bar...?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Since the release of Panther, isn't the top navigation bar in need of a change?

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~markbee/apple_bar.jpg

Just an idea... m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I *really* like that. Two thumbs up.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Yeah I like that too. Much more open space, and a cleaner look. Well done.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well that's very cool! Put me down for a "yes".

On the sub-categories, I'm not entirely sure I like the little round buttons though. That's the ONLY thing I don't dig 100%. I'd just let the sub categories "float", minus the little round buttons.

My modified take on an otherwise righteous idea.

I LOVE the upper buttons too. A bit cleaner, matches the current style of the OS, etc.

Besides, that whole "side-by-side tab" thing is being done TO DEATH. Witness macrumors.com, nearly every Apple mail order company, etc.

Nice idea!

Here is a mockup of how it might look in context. It could be a bit shorter, with the "well" holding the sub-categories a bit shorter and the whole thing a bit more vertically compact. I like it better than the current glassy tabs and "stripes" motif, which is, at this point, a bit dated and "old school X"-looking.

In fact, I was using Jaguar the other day and those stripes damn near blinded me and burned my eyeballs out! Panther is MUCH nicer on the ol' peepers...
  • Reply 4 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I hate it. The tabs are too small.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I disagree. The tabs aren'ttoo small, necessarily, they just need to be of a consistent size, as on the curent page. The iPod + iTunes tab is actually almost exactly the size of the current tabs. Make them all that size and I think it would be perfect. Maybe make them a little taller too. And I agree about the round buttons: ditch 'em.

OK, so I guess I do kind of agree. They are a little small, but I don't hate it. I love it.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    I also think they are too small and I doubt Apple would do that... Apple.com is already lightly designed, depending on good layout and typography. The navigation is the only thing that really makes it feel like it is Apple.com. Otherwise there's nothing to distinguish it. I've mocked up something probably more like what they already have in store. It's essentially the current design except with Panther style tabs. I chose the Support page to give you some idea of what it would look like... You can see it here
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Synotic

I've mocked up something probably more like what they already have in store. It's essentially the current design except with Panther style tabs. I chose the Support page to give you some idea of what it would look like... You can see it here

That is nice. Much better than mine!

I would love to see something like that. It's just so clean, and yet it still looks familiar. m.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, that's nice. I think it's nicer-looking than the tabs, myself. Each submission here improves upon Merovingian's initial idea a little here, a little there.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Synotic

I also think they are too small and I doubt Apple would do that... Apple.com is already lightly designed, depending on good layout and typography. The navigation is the only thing that really makes it feel like it is Apple.com. Otherwise there's nothing to distinguish it. I've mocked up something probably more like what they already have in store. It's essentially the current design except with Panther style tabs. I chose the Support page to give you some idea of what it would look like... You can see it here

That is great, Synotic (or as I like to called him S-Daddi-otic,, what?) I really like how that looks. Especially in context of the colors.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I like it.

Apple could say that they upgraded their web server to panther.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

in the words of some cung-fu movie i once saw, "you must remember thatless is often more, young grasshoper"

lol

the bar is sweet
  • Reply 12 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    if only windows browsers could get a temorary skin and while apple site is loaded on a pc the browser looks like safari, while funny this will never happen or.....wait a minute.....itunes looks like a mac app wow i never noticed that before.....lol
  • Reply 13 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

in the words of some cung-fu movie i once saw, "you must remember thatless is often more, young grasshoper"

lol

the bar is sweet

Look at the original concept and then look at Synotic's. There is no comparison.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Look at the original concept and then look at Synotic's. There is no comparison.

Agreed. Someone improved an idea that I had, and it now looks awesome! I was only playing around in Interface Builder, pulling a few controls around here and there ? I didn't spend much time on it.

Synoptic's version, honestly looks stacks better than the current apple.com navigation bar, and I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was actually implemented.

Anyway, I'm glad something good, and equally useless, became of it. m.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Well I'm glad you guys like it even though it was a pretty logical evolution. I just put some gradients over Apple's current design and rewrote the text. The only thing I didn't like is that it was too low, I think it was because I was also drawing over Merovingian's as well I just made a quick update moving everything up a few more pixels. I think it makes it feel a bit more like Apple.com now.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    I still like the way that the original mockup's tabs look more the like the one's in Panther (probably because it was done in Interface Builder).

Synotic, any chance you could do a further update keeping the original size and text weight of the tabs but just spacing them out more evenly and adding your colorized submenu? Pretty please?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Great work, Merovingian- you just need some color.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I still like the way that the original mockup's tabs look more the like the one's in Panther (probably because it was done in Interface Builder).

Synotic, any chance you could do a further update keeping the original size and text weight of the tabs but just spacing them out more evenly and adding your colorized submenu? Pretty please?

I gave it a shot.

One of the reasons the original ones might look better is because they are actually composited from multiple layers of lighting and shadows. Mine is just a straight gradient

Also, I just quickly made the top bar identical to the bottom. It's slightly smaller than Merovingian's original mockup. If this bothers anyone I'll see if I can make a slightly larger one.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Nicely done. The rate at which good ideas evolve at AI is stunning.

As happened with the Aqua gel buttons, a lot of people (including myself) will want to switch their sites to the "Panther-style" navigation buttons.

Anybody want to post a brief tutorial and/or template to get it done?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Oh geez.

Announcement to ya'll who are not familiar with Eugene: Do not get him started on tabs. That is all.