fun with warped windows! (not the OS)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
ok here's the original site (i finally found it), and here's the hack:

1. open terminal and type "killall Dock" BUT DO NOT HIT ENTER

the next couple steps basically happen at the same time, so read first.

2. have a window like this one open, and shft-click the minimize button (to put in slow motion )

3. once the minimize effect has started, quickly click back over to your terminal window and hit enter.

this freezes the window as it is, and you can now surf the web with warped windows! (this is also a great way to show OS X off to your friends)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Sounds cool. Any screenshots of it? (I'm not at home right now to try it)
  • Reply 2 of 27
    i dont have any screenshots, and if i wasnt about to fall asleep i'd put some up....
  • Reply 3 of 27
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Okay, i just did it.... surfing the web like this is BIZARRE. especially scrolling long pages.

but i can attest to the fact that it does work. I'm posting this from a half-genied safari 1.2 window right now. it's like typing into a funhouse mirror (not exacttly easy to read the text, so apologies for any typos).
  • Reply 4 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I wish I could do this faster when my window just starts. Also I can't move a window vertically anymore after I do it, only horizontally, also you can't change the size anymore. Try doing this with scale and it's like working in an expose window!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    I remember doing this by accident a few years ago.

I'd forgotten all about it, though, and never really thought it worth noting as a fun trick.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    That is absolutely crazy!
  • Reply 7 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Similar to an old bug I found, submitted and had fixed where you could hide any Cocoa app while minimizing it to the dock and have the functional half-genied window leftover.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/adm/watch.mov
  • Reply 8 of 27
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    by the way, try doing it with three different windows with the dock in three different places (so the genie goes in different directions). all the windows work, and you have to enjoy the *gasp* from friends and co-workers when they pass by your desk.

• Reply 9 of 27
    didn't work for me ...got "no matching processes were found that are owned by you"
  • Reply 10 of 27
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I wish I could do this faster when my window just starts. Also I can't move a window vertically anymore after I do it, only horizontally, also you can't change the size anymore. Try doing this with scale and it's like working in an expose window!

I can move my window vertically - I caught it just after the genie started so it just bulges a bit at the top.

I think this one would be good with the Suck effect - anyone remember the way to access that?

Amorya
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

didn't work for me ...got "no matching processes were found that are owned by you"

make sure you type Dock and not dock
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

I can move my window vertically - I caught it just after the genie started so it just bulges a bit at the top.

I think this one would be good with the Suck effect - anyone remember the way to access that?

Amorya

TinkerTool will do it. I'm pretty sure all you have to do is edit the com.apple.dock.plist file.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

make sure you type Dock and not dock

that's what i'm doing wrong i'm thinking
  • Reply 14 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Posting from a warped window. I had to shift click to get the window to slow down. Hitting those targets with the mouse is hard.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Also when I hit command-M to get the window into the Dock the thumbnail was messed up.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Neat trick, a little hard to use the page that way but still pretty neat.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Finally got it to work. I'm posting from a warped window now. Slowing it down with shift was the trick. I hadn't even thought of that till someone brought it up. At normal speed, I couldn't catch the window in time. It's pretty pointless, but also pretty fun.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    You can do the same thing with Expose... but you need a timer to kill the dock from an applescript or the like.

I think it's great that we can kill core parts of our OS, they restart, and the warped window fragments are not only restorable, but they are usable. That says something to the construction of OS X...

And MS thought that being able to have windows 'shimmer', wave, and 'flap' was top hat
  • Reply 19 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

You can do the same thing with Expose... but you need a timer to kill the dock from an applescript or the like.

Or you could login from another terminal remotely...
  • Reply 20 of 27
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    not working for me... dunno... I have the "suck in" minimize effect... maybe that is the problem...