How To Make A Video iPod

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.zvue.com/

1. Buy the above company with the a fraction of the 5 billion in cash you have.

2. Remove the guts and fit it into an iPod form-factor with a 20GB HD and a lithium-ion battery

3. Sell for $299-399 w/ QuickTime Pro.

What you have then is a device that plays both MP3s, AAC and quicktime video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I used to be on the fence with the video iPod thing, but now that I have an iPod, I have *no desire whatsoever* to have a video iPod.

however, it would be kind of neat to have a small device with an S-video out for watching movies, but, the HD would be in use to often, it could never be *that* small. Also...eh?
  • Reply 2 of 45
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You could have searched for this. These threads have been posted in here a thousand times.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    2 inch screen, yaaay. Unless it has a video out port for some kind of video goggles, I'll pass.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

2 inch screen, yaaay. Unless it has a video out port for some kind of video goggles, I'll pass.

Yes, I agree. The iPod AV should have a color screen for movies, photo and cover art display. And it should of course have a Video (or S-Video) out to connect it to a TV set! Let's wait and see!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

2 inch screen, yaaay.

well at least they're not over compensating....
  • Reply 6 of 45
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yankeedoodle

Yes, I agree. The iPod AV should have a color screen for movies, photo and cover art display. And it should of course have a Video (or S-Video) out to connect it to a TV set! Let's wait and see!

AND A FIVE MINUTE BATTERY LIFE!
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Battery life will probably be down at around 3-4 hours with a color TFT. However this is still okay to watch a movie. If you connect the AV Pod to a TV set, you could turn off its internal display to save battery. Maybe Apple is trying to make use of new organic LED displays (OLED) that consume only very little battery power and deliver bright images since their pixels do actually emit light and are not just filters that block light coming from a backgound lamp as in TFT displays. That's why OLEDs do not need a background light -- this saves battery power, space (OLEDs are a lot thinner than TFTs!) and money! There are no viewing angle issues with OLEDs and unlike TFTs, they support really fast frame rates. There is hardly a doubt that OLEDs will be the successors of TFTs and they will probably be much cheaper than TFTs also. The question will be: Is this technology ready by this summer?
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Although I'd love for Apple to surprise me, but every time I hear about the specs of a purported videopod I think that the ibook is the better choice. A video pod has to be cheaper than an iBook (probably more expensive than the top end iPod, otherwise you kill that product) and still provide an acceptable screen size and battery life. $599-$699 I'm guessing.

If the vidoePod works as a Tivo device I'll be more willing to accept it as a small and seperate device. Something that fits near your TV and can be carried with you. Give it to your kid to watch in the back seat of the car. Watch your recorded TV shows or iMovie at a friends house. Still, I wouldn't mind having all this built into an iBook, most is already in there.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    video iPod: yes

to watch the video ON the iPod? Hell no

I would LOVE to have an adapter that I could stick my iPod directly into a TV, projector, etc.

Watch DiVX, Mov, files, etc FROM an iPod.

now THAT I would buy

I currently have to lug around iBook and iPod to show stuff.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    zozo Posts: 3,117member

Thats the company's banner...

I can get better "Hand Held Entertainment" for less than 99$

• Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

video iPod: yes

to watch the video ON the iPod? Hell no

You are probably right that watching movies on a Video Pod would not really generate an insanely great feeling, but it's better than nothing in a plane, on a train or wherever you have to spend a long time waiting. A video output (and maybe even a video input) would clearly be the better way to watch a movie as long as you are at home. And don't forget: Showing off cover art on a color screen would be a real coolness factor enhancer?...

Besides, I could also imagine aother way of using the iPod AV: Connect an iSight camera to its FireWire port and you get a really small harddisk camcorder! Or, if you already have a camcorder: Connect via FireWire and copy its contents to your iPod -- use it as your video tank -- and then take the iPod with you to show your movies to friends! Now, wouldn't that be way cool?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Oh, one more thing?: The new video iPod should display razor sharp antialiased text -- just like on Mac OS X. Besides, it shoud come with some nice, photorealistic icons -- just like on Mac OS X.

Let 'em windows folks show what they are missing on the dark side of the fence!
  • Reply 13 of 45
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Apple could also leverage Quicktime/Keynote technology with a video iPod.

Full presentations/slides in your pocket--no laptop to lug around.

I think there's definitely a market, especially if Apple stops selling the normal iPod and just adds video capability like that talked about above. It's primary purpose would still be music, but it could also do a lot of other things.

Would you pay $100 more so your iPod had a color screen and could play movies and presentations (/w S-video out)?

I think many people would.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I used to be on the fence with the video iPod thing, but now that I have an iPod, I have *no desire whatsoever* to have a video iPod.

however, it would be kind of neat to have a small device with an S-video out for watching movies, but, the HD would be in use to often, it could never be *that* small. Also...eh?

well, provided you'd have a fast hard drive and about half a gig of ram, you might come close on time with today's iPod. CLOSE, as in still far away.

-walloo.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Yes, the idea of Apple selling their computers as the "managers" of our data and media, then being able to carry them around, watch, listen or present them on something other than a computer, (for space saving's sake) may have a market.

The Mac lets us manage our music in iTunes.

-The iPod lets us recreate that in the best portable way.

The Mac lets us make edit video in iMovie

-Currently the laptop is the only way to watch these on the go.

The Mac lets us create slideshows from our pictures in iPhoto.

-The laptop is the only thing that lets us view these portably.

The Mac lets us create presentations.

-Repeat...

If there is indeed a market beyond music for portable enjoyment, there are a lot of possible solutions other than the PowerBook. You say, "well just buy the PowerBook then." That would be the good thing to do if you wanted to do all of those things, but if you only have a certain need or you need ultimate portability (beyond what a laptop can give you) then there is a market for more efficient and well designed devices.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    My idea of an iPod AV would be something that acts as a go-between between a digital camera, camcorder, Mac or PC and TV or stereo. Works with AAC audio and MPEG-4 video. It could be used as a player for personal video use but it could also be used as a simple editor. You could make slide shows with music that plays on a TV or LCD projector. Maybe it could even double as a mini-DVR.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

My idea of an iPod AV would be something that acts as a go-between between a digital camera, camcorder, Mac or PC and TV or stereo. Works with AAC audio and MPEG-4 video. It could be used as a player for personal video use but it could also be used as a simple editor. You could make slide shows with music that plays on a TV or LCD projector. Maybe it could even double as a mini-DVR.

Yep, this sounds cool! The iPod AV could be the device that merges all your AV data on your Mac into a tinly box for you to go... Way cool!
  • Reply 18 of 45
    I always figured that a Video iPod type device's primary purpose would not be for viewing videos on a built-in scren, but instead simply for keeping a video collection small and portable.

Apple creates a small multi-gigabyte device with firewire 800 connectivity and a few types of video output. Essentially, an iPod with more space and different ports. A user can download movies from the iMovie Film Store onto the device, unplug it, bring it to their TV room, hook it up and watch a movie. A small LCD screen on the device is optional as an accessory....

The point of the device is that users have full "video-on-demand", get to keep the movies they buy, and can tote them over to another place to watch. Same DRM as iTunes music...

DF
  • Reply 19 of 45
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Battery life would be an issue.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Battery life would be an issue.

Apple could use an OLED wide format screen on something the size of an iPod but square (4.1x4.1"). The screen would occupy the top half or so and the controls would be in the lower half. It could use something like an Hitachi 2.5" 40GB 5400 rpm drive that weighs 3.6 oz. which happens to be what the iPod mini weighs. Maybe it could even have a mini-trackpad.

This iPod AV could have an AV jack like the iBook used to have that combines video and audio into one mini-jack. It could be designed like the iPod minis with colorful anodized aluminum or just a classy matte silver and fit into an AV dock. It could be wired into a TV and audio system. It could hold over 3 hrs. of DV and probably more MPEG-4 video.

An iPod AV could hold a lot of music, photos, and video. If it's going to be PC-compatible, it seems that along with iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie should be XP-compatible. I'm not sure Apple wants to do that but if it did, Apple would stand to sell a heck of a lot iPod AVs. How about an iMovie Video Store? Download movies to the iPod AV for viewing on the road or on your TV. Add a new-generation video projector and watch the movie projected onto a convenient wall or screen.

What else can you do with an iPod AV? Clip it to your belt and attach a camera pod similar to an iSight with a pistol grip and a viewfinder. Record video or still images. No tape!