What does this phrase mean?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"I'll drink you under the table." I've probably heard that spoken or typed online a million times now, but I dont get it. For those of you who party a lot or are just in the know about such things, what does it mean?

Maybe sexual, maybe a threat...wtf is it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Shoot...I think I get it now! It's like saying that you can out drink someone, right?
  • Reply 2 of 55
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Shoot...I think I get it now! It's like saying that you can out drink someone, right?

Bingo
  • Reply 3 of 55
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Right... and it refers to the fact that the other person will be so drunk that they will be under the table before it is done...
  • Reply 4 of 55
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Right... and it refers to the fact that the other person will be so drunk that they will be under the table before it is done...

ROFL, ok...thanks fellas. Another worthless piece of jargon is now filed away!
  • Reply 5 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

I had never thought to inflect that phrase to get a threat, but from now on I'll hear "I'll take you by mouth, beneath the table" whenever anybody says it.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

ROFL, ok...thanks fellas. Another worthless piece of jargon is now filed away!

I never thought it was wortheless when I was the king of 'drinking-you-under-the table"

but these days I think I agree
  • Reply 7 of 55
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I always knew what it meant, but never really understood the point of it. I was always more of a "Let's drink ourselves under the table" kind of person.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I always knew what it meant, but never really understood the point of it. I was always more of a "Let's drink ourselves under the table" kind of person.

I used to be able to out drink anyone but now I'm a pussy lightweight who gets drunk off of 1 or 2 margaritas. I like it better being the pussy lightweight. It's much more cost effective.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    "I'll drink you..."

Oh, wow. I never thought of it that way. Never even crossed my mind...

Chris, have you ever seen that picture that looks like a small, round table with long, curved legs when you first look at it, but then suddenly appears to be two people facing each other?

Then, once you perceive it as 'two people', you wonder how you could ever have seen it as a table. Weird, huh? Perception tricks.

Or, I suppose some individuals first see the picture as two people, and only later as a table. Hope the first perception someone has doesn't indicate their mental orientation, but I suppose it does. Like looking at inkblots. I would hate to think *I* see a table, and everyone 'else' sees people. haha.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Hope the first perception someone has doesn't indicate their mental orientation, but I suppose it does. Like looking at inkblots. I would hate to think *I* see a table, and everyone 'else' sees people. haha.

There's no real empirical evidence that your reading of ink blots means anything about you. Interpretation of the Rorschach is mostly art and little science, if that makes you feel any better.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I used to be able to out drink anyone but now I'm a pussy lightweight who gets drunk off of 1 or 2 margaritas. I like it better being the pussy lightweight. It's much more cost effective.

Agreed.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, that's why you have to keep training.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Yea. I drink rarely nowadays, and just a couple beers can give me a good buzz. As an added bonus it doesn't last long, since the metabolism isn't affected by your alcohol tolerance. Then, you can stop drinking and be sober in a few hours, or drink more if you like.. the heavyweights don't have that option, once they feel drunk they have enough ethanol in blood to remain (clinically) drunk until next day. Of course they usually feel sober quicker than that, but that perception doesn't help much with driving, sex or other stuff that requires some coordination and sensivity.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

There's no real empirical evidence that your reading of ink blots means anything about you. Interpretation of the Rorschach is mostly art and little science, if that makes you feel any better.

Hi torifile -

I imagine you psychologists have a million (okay - maybe 9 or 10?) jokes about patients looking at inkblots. Right?

Could you share one or two with us - or is that "breaking the professional code"? (Can't tell jokes about patients to the great unwashed - i.e. the rest of us)?

ANYWAY...there 'may' be no empirical evidence, but maybe there doesn't 'need' to be! Someone who sees 'a table' is obviously a sick puppy, compared to those who first see 'two people facing each other'. Yes? hahaha

And no surprise either that an 18-year-old male hears the phrase "drink you under the table" and thinks it might be something sexual. I speak as someone who has spent *years* wondering what certain phrases meant. Can't think of even one at the moment as an example - naturally.

However, being a member of a "mostly male" forum has certainly clued me in to a few things that were once mysteries. And I confess I don't think I'd *ever* even heard the term "chode" (choad?) before. (a hair ball? - urgh)
  • Reply 15 of 55
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [begin rant]

I have a better one, and it's used all the time by supposedly intelligent, successful people in the media and elsewhere.

"Hope against hope."

This is bar none, one of the dumbest popular sayings I've ever heard. WTF does this mean, precisely, when you analyze it in context? It's nothing but a soundbite phrase, that has absolutely zero logical significance to anything.

"Well Bob, we're just hoping against hope that our favorite team pulls through with an upset tonight..."

"Pam, I'm hoping against hope that your bad ultrasound turns out to be a false alarm and the baby is OK."

WTF?!!

You can hope against all odds, you can be very hopeful, you can hope daily... you can hope all sorts of ways. But "hoping against hope"? Yet another sign our country is deeply affected (in not so positive ways) by the media and our constant viewership of the same. We say things that we think "sound important" or interesting, when they in fact mean nothing upon close examination. We talk like we're on television, in fact, when we're not. People say this stupid saying all the time in offices and restuarants and anywhere else people gather.

Arghhh!

[/end rant]

• Reply 16 of 55
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

However, being a member of a "mostly male" forum has certainly clued me in to a few things that were once mysteries. And I confess I don't think I'd *ever* even heard the term "chode" (choad?) before. (a hair ball? - urgh)

How is that a "male thing"? I would think eating related disorders are more common among women.

I've heard that word once before, I think it was in one of the first Sandmans (Fables and Reflections maybe)?
  • Reply 17 of 55
    You're right. 'Hope against hope' suddenly seems to make no sense whatsoever. Jeez. \
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

How is that a "male thing"? I would think eating related disorders are more common among women.

I've heard that word once before, I think it was in one of the first Sandmans (Fables and Reflections maybe)?

Eating-related disorders?

In another thread - can never remember which one - someone brought up the term 'chode' or 'choad'. Iirc, two people said it meant two different things: a) a hairball just in front of the anus (on a guy!), and/or b) a penis as wide as it is long.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, the one that really drives me nuts is "i could care less".

it is supposed to be "i couldn't care less", which when you think about it makes a hell of a lot more sense.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Don't know for sure, but I'd guess that "hope against hope" is meant in the sense of "one hope after another", or "one hope supporting another".

As in "brick against brick, they built the wall."

Carol: you know I'm still reeling from the peeing thread revelations, this choad stuff may put me over the edge.

Apparently I've lived a sheltered life.