good generally unknown bands

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
what are some good generally unknown bands? i'm looking to get some new music, want something fresh, so, let me know.

oh, some good unknownish bands are: morcheeba, dcallen, andy c, iced earth, aquabats, drunkard, lorna, steve vai, prodigy, Nitzer Ebb, 45 Dip, US3, blur, blasted mechanism, audioslave, nerf herder

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Many of those you mentioned have had their moment in the spotlight, and are not generally unknown, despite what circles of people you hang out with

These guys are good,

Oedipus
  • Reply 2 of 79
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Badlands (for butt rock, that is)
  • Reply 3 of 79
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Two bands, which I consider to be the best bands of the last 2 decades. Both lead by the same front man and lead singer. Roger Clyne.

The Refreshments (1993-1997)

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (RCPM) (1999-Present and on tour!)

They have about 20 songs that would be hits, as in chart topping hits, but they dont hide their feelings about the industry...so, no publicity. They had one MTV moment/hit with "Banditos," more commonly referred to as "The world is full of stupid people."

That song does not characterize their sound though, but it gained heavy college campus rotation during the summer/fall of 1996. Their next CD release came and went without much label support and advertising, so they quit their label and Roger rebanded a few years later with the Refreshments' drummer (P.H. Naffa) and they added a former Gin Blossoms guitarist and some bass dude.

They formed Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (RCPM) and have since put out extremely solid releases, most recently ¡Americano! in January of this year. Alice Cooper characterized their unique sound as "Cowboy Punk." ¡Americano! topped the internet sales charts upon its debut, and has sold incredibly well.

I could go on and on...to me it is just sad that a band with such a great sound is such a relative unknown. It sounds like classic stuff, perfect for radio, but they get stiffed for political reasons. To quote PH, "**** those radio bastards, we dont need radio."
  • Reply 4 of 79
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

what are some good generally unknown bands? i'm looking to get some new music, want something fresh, so, let me know.

oh, some good unknownish bands are: morcheeba, dcallen, andy c, iced earth, aquabats, drunkard, lorna, steve vai, prodigy, Nitzer Ebb, 45 Dip, US3, blur, blasted mechanism, audioslave, nerf herder

Damn you, I was going to say Morcheeba!
  • Reply 5 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Many of those you mentioned have had their moment in the spotlight, and are not generally unknown, despite what circles of people you hang out with

[/url]

well, that's why i said unknownish

not alot of people know alot of them, they are all good, there are many more i have, anyone ever hear of ayla?
  • Reply 6 of 79
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Something Corporate

Sugarcult

The Red West

All are really awesome.

edit: ok i guess SoCo might be well known, but either way, theyre good if you like Emo music
  • Reply 7 of 79
  • Reply 8 of 79
    sugarcult is awesome. *i'm bouncing off the walls again, whoa-oh*

oh, another good band is Modest Mouse.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    The Refreshments and Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers "Hits"

-------------------

Off of the Refreshments 1996 Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy (Album)

1. Banditos

2. Carefree

3. Down Together

4. Nada

5. Mekong

6. Mexico

7. Suckerpunch

8. Girly

Off of the Refreshments 1997 The Bottle and the Fresh Horses (Album)

9. Preacher's Daughter

10. Broken Record

11. Fonder and Blonder

12. Wanted

13. Buy American

14. Sin Nombre

15. Good Year

Off of 1999's Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers: Honky Tonk Union

16. Easy

17. Green and Dumb

18. West Texas Moon

19. Honky Tonk Union

20. Jack vs Jose

Off of 2000's Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers: Sonoran Hope and Madness

21. Smaller and Better Things

22. Ashes to San Miguel

23. Burry My Hert at the Trailor Park

24. Sleep Like A Baby

25. (Cover) Pancho and Lefty

Off of 2004's Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers: ¡Americano!

26. ¡Americano!

27. Counterclockwise

28. I Don't Need Another Thrill

29. Switchblades

30. Leave an Open Door

31. Loco to Stay Sane

32. Your Name On A Grain of Rice

33. Love, Come Lighten My Load

34. Leaky Little Boat

35. God Gave Me Gun

(A little fact, they wrote and played the "King of the Hill" theme song. They entered it as a part of the Fox News contest to write the theme song, and won, little do people know that there is a great many songs behind that mishmash "redneck anthem.")
  • Reply 10 of 79
    One of the most undeservedly overlooked artists is Bobby Mcferrin. *everyone* knows his smash hit "don't worry, be happy" but that song is a travesty that *greatly* misrepresents him. He is one of the most talented musicians I've ever heard, ever.

(I mention him because, while he's not unknown, to many people his immense talent and musicality is unknown)
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

One of the most undeservedly overlooked artists is Bobby Mcferrin. *everyone* knows his smash hit "don't worry, be happy" but that song is a travesty that *greatly* misrepresents him. He is one of the most talented musicians I've ever heard, ever.

(I mention him because, while he's not unknown, to many people his immense talent and musicality is unknown)

I totally agree with that, in every way. Sadly the same sort of story happened to Roger Clyne.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Fall Out Boy

If you're into punk at all those guys are awesome!

And even though they are better known, they don't get nearly the recognition they deserve:

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
  • Reply 13 of 79
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    Mmmm... a music thread. Music is the spice of my life. My unknownish bands of the moment:

-The Pale (Excellent Seattle area band. Kind of emo, only not whiney)

-Deathcab for Cutie (Pseudo-emo)

-The Postal Service (Very awesome electronic-ish music)

-Frou Frou (Go watch the Garden State trailer to get a taste of her music)

-Dolour

-Gotan Project (Sooooo gooood. Mellow Spanish tecnho)

-Mr. Bungle

-Muse

Some better known awesome bands:

-Ben Folds (I adore this musician. Period.)

-Bjork (Almost everyone has heard of Bjork, but I don't know many people that actually listen to her music. Check out "Alarm Call")

-Elliott Smith

-The Flaming Lips

-Rufus Wainwright

-Stereolab
  • Reply 14 of 79
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    I'm just curious: Is Tori Amos widely listened to? I love her stuff and I know she has a loyal fan base, but I only know one or two other people that actually listen to her here. She doesn't get much radio time, but frankly, that's fine with me since radio can kill a good song by overplaying it. Anyway, I was just wondering.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    She's fairly well known. But very low profile. In many ways she's like Liz Phair.... everybody loves her but nobody you know has the CD.

I've been a fan of Squirrel Nut Zippers for a while now. They have some great stuff. I'd also recommend Soul Coughing (even though they broke up). Just great stuff to listen too.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I'm gunna throw in "Bassic". He makes some really good ambient music and was really popular on MP3.com. Haven't heard of him since that site shut down.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    I shall recommend:

-Robert Randolph & the Family Band

-Portishead

-Massive Attack

-Zero7
  • Reply 18 of 79
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Two bands that IMO should have reached a wider audience are

- the Sting-Rays

- the Vibes

both were part of early 80's psychobilly/garage/trash scene
  • Reply 19 of 79
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

YEAH! Nerf Herder
  • Reply 20 of 79
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

YEAH! Nerf Herder

you like Nerf Herder too?!!!!!!!!!! Rock On!