Beyond Dual Monitors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We are all aware that any of Apple's notebooks can been connected to TVs, VGA monitors, etc etc. Apple is missing a huge piece of that puzzle though. The fact that you can ONLY have dual display, is a problem. Apple needs to add support for turning off the iBook and PB's panels when connected to an outside monitor, OR when the lids are shut, the notebook doesnt go into sleep, so it can be used as a desktop computer. The only thing you can do is dim the panel's brightness to 0%, but doesnt not conserve power as well as it being turned off would. Any comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you have an external monitor and USB keyboard you can operate the Powerbook closed. At least I think I can. And if you hook up a screen before you boot up you can use it a your main monitor. (I did that with a TV before)
  • Reply 2 of 28
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    I've tried many times to use my PB closed with an external monitor and it's never worked.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    I believe that the ability to use an external monitor while the lid is closed is relatively new. I know that my Ti PB 400 can do monitor spanning, but can't be used closed with external monitor.

What PB's are you all using?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mordak

I've tried many times to use my PB closed with an external monitor and it's never worked.

It depends on the model. I have a first gen 12", and it can run just fine in closed lid (clamshell) mode. I want to say that it started with the Lumbards or Pismos, but can't recall which.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

I believe that the ability to use an external monitor while the lid is closed is relatively new. I know that my Ti PB 400 can do monitor spanning, but can't be used closed with external monitor.

I could have sworn the later G3 PBs had this feature. I remember reading about a guy who rigged up a PB in his car for use as an MP3 player. One of the killer features was that the laptop could run with the display closed. Maybe the first gen G4 PBs couldn't do this?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

I could have sworn the later G3 PBs had this feature. I remember reading about a guy who rigged up a PB in his car for use as an MP3 player. One of the killer features was that the laptop could run with the display closed. Maybe the first gen G4 PBs couldn't do this?

If one of the G3 PB's did this, it doesn't make sense why it would have been dropped for the first gen G4 PB's.

Or maybe there is some setting that I am not aware of that would allow me to run it while the lid is closed.

Someone in the Know, please fill us in.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    The Old g3 powerbooks could do it too, as does the new ones. You just simply close the lid, with it ASLEEP, and then hook up a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and hit the space bar on the keyboard. Its always worked for me, and I do it all the time for presentations or what have you.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

I have a 400Mhz Pismo and It works with a USB keyboard or mouse.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

We are all aware that any of Apple's notebooks can been connected to TVs, VGA monitors, etc etc. Apple is missing a huge piece of that puzzle though. The fact that you can ONLY have dual display, is a problem. Apple needs to add support for turning off the iBook and PB's panels when connected to an outside monitor, OR when the lids are shut, the notebook doesnt go into sleep, so it can be used as a desktop computer. The only thing you can do is dim the panel's brightness to 0%, but doesnt not conserve power as well as it being turned off would. Any comments?

I, personally, have done this with three generations of TiBooks: 1, 2, 3.

Just close the lid, the machine will go to sleep. Plug in a monitor. Plug in a USB keyboard and mouse. Press a key on the keyboard, and it will come up.

I don't use this because my gen. 2 TiBook gets pretty dang hot, and with the lid closed, it only exacerbates the problem.

You can play with some of the settings with regards to the lid with the pmset command. To learn more, just type, 'man pmset' (without the quotes) in the terminal window.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

I don't use this because my gen. 2 TiBook gets pretty dang hot, and with the lid closed, it only exacerbates the problem.

Apple doesn't let you use the pb G4 with the lid closed because as Atomicham said it gets pretty hot. Apple designed the pb G4 with this idea in mind: the keyboard area serves as a giant heatsink. That's why they don't let you close the lid. You don't want to fry your PBook do you? Or get it to crash during a presentation? This problem is not as critical for the 17" PB because it has a large enclosure and some parts of it are pretty empty compared to the 15" or the 12"
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by triotango

Apple doesn't let you use the pb G4 with the lid closed because as Atomicham said it gets pretty hot....That's why they don't let you close the lid.

Sorry, this is just flat out wrong. Apple DOES let you do this with G4 powerbooks. Not only is it mentioned on their powerbook website, but I have done it all the time with my 12", so it is very much allowed.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

Sorry, this is just flat out wrong. Apple DOES let you do this with G4 powerbooks. Not only is it mentioned on their powerbook website, but I have done it all the time with my 12", so it is very much allowed.

A friend of mine has a 1st gen 12" PB G4 who says he's tried it and it is not possible, and he's only able to dim the screen. He cannot wake it out of sleep when the lid is shut.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

You can play with some of the settings with regards to the lid with the pmset command. To learn more, just type, 'man pmset' (without the quotes) in the terminal window.

This command gives me only settings that are available in the syspref. There is nothing inregards to having the lid closed.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    There is a display at my local Apple store in which a closed 12" PB is connected to a 17" studio display. A wireless keyboard and mouse is used as input. The 12" was placed upright in a custom plexiglass stand and the whole display seemed like it came from Apple headquarters.

I've also seen this exact same display at one more non-Apple store and there is a picture of this setup in the Japan version of the powerbook brochure. I'd have to say that Apple supports it (At least with the recent models). This display was up from around February.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

A friend of mine has a 1st gen 12" PB G4 who says he's tried it and it is not possible, and he's only able to dim the screen. He cannot wake it out of sleep when the lid is shut.

Well I hate to break it to you, but your friend must not know how to operate his machine. All you have to do is plug in a monitor and keyboard, close the lid, hit a button on the external keyboard, and you are up and running. I do it with my 12" whenever I go home, so I know it is 100% possible to do.

From Apples website:

Quote:

If you like a streamlined look on your desk, connect a second display to your PowerBook, pair a mouse and keyboard and run the PowerBook in closed-lid mode

It is on this page at the end of teh second paragraph.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Just to go back to the title of this thread, "Beyond Dual Monitors". I have some thoughts. What if with the lid closed you could then power two separate displays.

I believe once PCI-Express comes into the fold, we will see some wild aberrations. Like multiple 16x PCI-E slots which could support multiple video cards.

They have those 21" LCD's by IBM which have 3000 x ???? resolution that need dual input from one card (they use a highly tuned dual monitor video card with both outputs going to one monitor). It is a very expensive proposition, but as technology goes on, imagine the possibilities.

Imagine quad or more projectors filling a room for gaming in ultra high resolution.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Can anyone confirm that a wireless keybaord will wake up a sleeping PB?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Can anyone confirm that a wireless keybaord will wake up a sleeping PB?

If anyone can please. That would be really cool.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Just to go back to the title of this thread, "Beyond Dual Monitors". I have some thoughts. What if with the lid closed you could then power two separate displays.

You can get a cardbus display adapter, which would give you dual monitors with the lid closed or triple monitors with the lid open. They cost about $1000 last I checked, but the ability is there for anyone with a Powerbook (that have type I slots).
  • Reply 20 of 28
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    I just checked the price. $300 for 4 MB of VRAM. Pretty spendy.