e600/e700 from freescale

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I saw this in the power 5 thread, but it seems like

this deserves its own subject.

Freescale announced e600/e700 G4 replacements to run 3Ghz +

here at Macnn

I'll believe it when I see, but at least freescale, as opposed to Moto, is TRYING to get back in the game.

I'd love to see apple with two GOOD suppliers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    e600 seems like a new name for the 90 nm dual core G4 that'd take them past 2 GHz. This one gets an integrated RapidIO-based mamory controller from the looks of it.

e700 seems like Motorola's defunct G5-project.

The roadmap that MacNN links to suggests that there will be a last incarnation of the 74xx family. Probably a 90 nm version.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

[...]I'll believe it when I see[...]

Rrrrrrright! I'd even say:

I believe it when I can order it!

I believe it when I can buy it!

I believe it when they ship it!

I believe it when I can use it!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

e600 seems like a new name for the 90 nm dual core G4 that'd take them past 2 GHz. This one gets an integrated RapidIO-based mamory controller from the looks of it.

e700 seems like Motorola's defunct G5-project.

The roadmap that MacNN links to suggests that there will be a last incarnation of the 74xx family. Probably a 90 nm version.

The SOC design will be a perfect fit. A dual-core 2GHZ G4 PowerBook would be ultra-sweet, and certainly push off the need for a G5 PowerBook.

The biggest question is how far off is the e600? I didn't see any dates, but have repeatedly heard that FreeScale will have something big ready this summer. It may be just the 90nm 74xx chips, but if they can get these e600s out, the next 'Book updates should be pretty amazing - and may force me to replace my G3 iBook (and sell it before it loses tons of value when these bad boys hit). It's yet to be seen if FreeScale will deliver, but if they do then Apple may have two solid chip manufacturers. Not only that, but the PowerPC may be able to take a stronger position in the market.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    The part I found interesting, is that FreeScale is going to, at some point in the road map, make a 32/64 bit chip. They didn't say much about it and was almost like a " oh yeah, by the way" after most people left the room.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Like always, competition is good!
  • Reply 6 of 25
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    Now If I could upgrade my G4 tower to upwards of 2ghz plus that would be sweet!

I upgraded from single 733mhz to dual 1 ghz already, but to get another few years out of it, a few years down the road would be awesome.

Of couse, I do plan on replacing it with a powerbook...
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by tak1108

Now If I could upgrade my G4 tower to upwards of 2ghz plus that would be sweet!

I upgraded from single 733mhz to dual 1 ghz already, but to get another few years out of it, a few years down the road would be awesome.

Of couse, I do plan on replacing it with a powerbook...

I'm not sure if these would work or not. The SOC design may make them unable to be used, I'm not sure though. I doubt you'd be able to get the faster bus speeds and DDR capability able to function.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

The SOC design will be a perfect fit. A dual-core 2GHZ G4 PowerBook would be ultra-sweet, and certainly push off the need for a G5 PowerBook.

The biggest question is how far off is the e600? I didn't see any dates, but have repeatedly heard that FreeScale will have something big ready this summer. It may be just the 90nm 74xx chips, but if they can get these e600s out, the next 'Book updates should be pretty amazing - and may force me to replace my G3 iBook (and sell it before it loses tons of value when these bad boys hit). It's yet to be seen if FreeScale will deliver, but if they do then Apple may have two solid chip manufacturers. Not only that, but the PowerPC may be able to take a stronger position in the market.

If you look at there roadmap there is something on there called "NEXT GENEREATION DISCREET".

this appears to be a NEW g4 chip and NOT a book e chip.

im guessing here but i think that chip will takes us to 2 ghz.

im also guessing that it will have ddr support built-in the chip.

the book "e" chips are customizable.

customers can add-on features as they see fit.

things could get very interesting........remember apple already has CONSIDERABLE r&d wrap up in motorolas past designs.

now that they appear to have ironed out there fab problems im sure apples confidence in them has grown.

go back my friends and dig out those old motorola roadmaps because the chips will soon be upon us.

i told ALL of you very loudly i might add that NO ONE did low-power CPU's like moto.

i told you that apple abandoning motorola would not pay dividends in the long run as things are trending towards low-power.

it looks like i was right.

now..........lets wait and see what motorola has for us...............
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet

If you look at there roadmap there is something on there called "NEXT GENEREATION DISCREET".

this appears to be a NEW g4 chip and NOT a book e chip.

im guessing here but i think that chip will takes us to 2 ghz.

im also guessing that it will have ddr support built-in the chip.

the book "e" chips are customizable.

customers can add-on features as they see fit.

things could get very interesting........remember apple already has CONSIDERABLE r&d wrap up in motorolas past designs.

now that they appear to have ironed out there fab problems im sure apples confidence in them has grown.

go back my friends and dig out those old motorola roadmaps because the chips will soon be upon us.

i told ALL of you very loudly i might add that NO ONE did low-power CPU's like moto.

i told you that apple abandoning motorola would not pay dividends in the long run as things are trending towards low-power.

it looks like i was right.

now..........lets wait and see what motorola has for us...............

I have a feeling that Moto chips will inhabit the laptops and we'll see IBM chips in the desktops. You are correct, Motorola makes great, lowpower chips. I think this will continue, but with better memory support, faster buses, etc. The IBM chips will be great for the desktops. I'll have to see if Apple cancels the SOC projects with IBM in the future in favor of FreeScale's chips.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    So what are Freescale's fabrication facilities like?

I haven't heard much about their fab capabilities unlike the hoopla over Fishkill.

I'm assuming there are new fabs to transition to .90 and .65.

What are the new Fabs like, if they are new fabs, or are they planning on out-sourcing chip production?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

So what are Freescale's fabrication facilities like?

I haven't heard much about their fab capabilities unlike the hoopla over Fishkill.

I'm assuming there are new fabs to transition to .90 and .65.

What are the new Fabs like, if they are new fabs, or are they planning on out-sourcing chip production?

As far as I know, they are doing fabs at the new facility in Crolles that is state of the art. It's supposed to be a top of the line facility, currently running small projects at 90nm in preparation for greater production, but this is based primarily on what I've been reading on message boards. I'm very sure that the plant in Crolles is where the fabbing will be done.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There's some info on Crolles 2 here, courtesy of Philips Semiconductor. Mot made a pretty big splash about joining the alliance, because it solved their biggest technical problem: their fabs.

Crolles 2 is a 300mm state-of-the-art fab using Mot's process (which has failed to this point mostly because it's hard to get bleeding edge tech running in a dirty fab - but it yielded the 7455A in the last PowerMac G4s). It starts at 90nm, like Fishkill, and goes down to 45nm, like Fishkill. It cost a total of around $3 billion to build, like Fishkill.

IBM probably got more publicity for their fab because they had the deep pockets to pay for more publicity. But the major differences between the two fabs are the exact processes used and the ownership - Fishkill is 100% IBM, while Crolles 2 is a joint venture between Motorola, Philips Semiconductor, and STMicroelectronics.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Like always, competition is good!

Moto... uuuh freescale's vaporware can't compete with something that IBM is shipping (even if in limited quantities). Where there is no product, there is no competetion. Until Freescal makes good on a promise, they aren't competing.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Moto... uuuh freescale's vaporware can't compete with something that IBM is shipping (even if in limited quantities). Where there is no product, there is no competetion. Until Freescal makes good on a promise, they aren't competing.

AFIAK there is no solid path to upgrade the current G4s in Powerbooks, iMac,s eMacs or even iBooks. 970FX could be a solution but it is an relatively power hungry chip compared to the G4s and G3s that was in them before. Apple have said that it won't be in a alaptop anytime soon, and that they sttill are comitted to Motorola, eer Freescale. Hence.. Moto's future offerings is as much vapor as IBM's.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

AFIAK there is no solid path to upgrade the current G4s in Powerbooks, iMac,s eMacs or even iBooks. 970FX could be a solution but it is an relatively power hungry chip compared to the G4s and G3s that was in them before. Apple have said that it won't be in a alaptop anytime soon, and that they sttill are comitted to Motorola, eer Freescale. Hence.. Moto's future offerings is as much vapor as IBM's.

I'd disagree. The 970FX isn't that power hungry, and it does actually exist, in contrast to Freescale's hype and marketing. There is a difference between something that exists and isn't being used and something that doesn't exist and isn't being used.

Freescale can't compete with just promises.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

I'd disagree. The 970FX isn't that power hungry, and it does actually exist, in contrast to Freescale's hype and marketing. There is a difference between something that exists and isn't being used and something that doesn't exist and isn't being used.

But how do we know they're just promises? What if Apple's got a few of those e600s running right now in test machines? To use, they are promises, but Apple certainly feels they are much more. The new fab at Crolles should help a long way in accomplishing this goal. Moto's old fab and management were what caused most of the problems for the semiconductor division.

As for the 970FX, it isn't too power hungry at lower clock rates, but it's far too power hungry for a laptop at anything past 1.6GHZ. The system controller required for it would also greatly add to the heat and power consumption. Besides, would you rather have a 1.6 or 1.8GHZ G5 or a dual-core 2GHZ G4 with a fast bus and DDR support - a chip that produces less heat that the G5? I'd take the G4.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

There's some info on Crolles 2 here, courtesy of Philips Semiconductor. Mot made a pretty big splash about joining the alliance, because it solved their biggest technical problem: their fabs.

Crolles 2 is a 300mm state-of-the-art fab using Mot's process (which has failed to this point mostly because it's hard to get bleeding edge tech running in a dirty fab - but it yielded the 7455A in the last PowerMac G4s). It starts at 90nm, like Fishkill, and goes down to 45nm, like Fishkill. It cost a total of around $3 billion to build, like Fishkill.

IBM probably got more publicity for their fab because they had the deep pockets to pay for more publicity. But the major differences between the two fabs are the exact processes used and the ownership - Fishkill is 100% IBM, while Crolles 2 is a joint venture between Motorola, Philips Semiconductor, and STMicroelectronics.

Unless it's a misprint, this article inicates that the Crolles2 facility is designed to go down to 32nm. I think Fishkill can be refit to go down there, but this seems to indicate the new facility in France is set up to go to a smaller process from the get-go.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

FreeScale needs to put up, or shut up. But it could be that they are no longer interested in capturing the Mac market. They might feel that their is no way to compete.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

FreeScale needs to put up, or shut up. But it could be that they are no longer interested in capturing the Mac market. They might feel that their is no way to compete.

These new chip announcements are very competitive - and not aimed solely at the Mac market. The book e chips are customizable, but should be able to at least find their way into Apple notebooks and sub-pro lineups. It does depend if FreeScale can deliver, but I think this new fab will help - coupled with the fact they are creating designs with Phillips and STM. As I've said in another thread, there's a reason Apple dropped the IBM G4 replacement. I'm positive that FreeScale will deliver this summer - and I'm hoping that the Mac community will be geared up for it.

Dual 3GHz+ G5s (POWER5 based) built by IBM

Maybe 2GHz G5 or 2.5GHz G5 in a modular iMac.

2GHz G4 with fast bus and true DDR support in the PowerBooks

High 1GHz (1.6, 1.8) G4 in the iBooks.

Maybe a 2GHz G4 in the eMac (only if the iMac gets a 2.5GHZ G5)

I'd love to see an update to the old G4 towers too.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I remember the days when the iBook G4 was introduced, people started, as it is reasonable, to believe that the Powerbook G5 day was not far away. I still believe that with this move (that is going to iBook G4), Apple certainly leaves us to assume that there is something coming that will differentiate better the Powerbooks from the iBooks. And after reading the Freescale announcement, I don't think this would be a G5 in a Powerbook. I believe the iBook G4 hints to new and much improved G4s for the Powerbooks. Relatively soon. But not before January 2005 in an Apple product.