e600/e700 from freescale

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Relatively soon. But not before January 2005 in an Apple product.

eeeerrrrrrrrrr! *slamming on brakes*

How do you come up with that?

In late December, the mainstream press was reporting on IBM's new 90nm chips, saying that with this news the PB G5 was 6-10 months away at most.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

eeeerrrrrrrrrr! *slamming on brakes*

Quote:

How do you come up with that?

In late December, the mainstream press was reporting on IBM's new 90nm chips, saying that with this news the PB G5 was 6-10 months away at most.

Who said that again? The mainstream press? And what S. Jobs said in that interview? Powerbook G5 around the end of 2004? And people keep believing that he will surprise them with an earlier introduction, somewhere this autumn.

Hmm, let's see: the Powerbooks have just been updated. So no updates before the end of the year at the earliest. But what the updates will be after that? IBM released some power figures for the new G5@90nm, that makes us believe it will be significantly more frugal compared to the G4. But it turns out that: (1) the IBM and Motorola numbers about power dissipation are not directly comparable, and (2) no ones really knows what will be the power requirements of the total G5 system (G5 processor + other components) in a Powerbook. On the other hand, power dissipation and management with a G4 system is a tried and known territory, and the suggested modifications to the existing G4 are only going to improve things.

All the above taken into account, I don't see new Powerbooks before January 2005 and with not other than the enhanced G4. Unless something goes really wrong, in which case Apple needs a plan B, if not C.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    businessweek, not your normal rumor mongors

with a quick look, this is the first I found in my archives
  • Reply 24 of 25
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Mr. MacPhist & Amorph,

thanks for the Fabs info!

Very exciting things (cpu's) to come, I hope!!

• Reply 25 of 25
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    if they havent even gotten samples out and this is all on the draing board still (even at final stages) we wont see any of the chips for at least a year to year and a half.

It would be a miracle if they would have 'em by MWSF '05