A supercomputer for your desk. (G5 PowerMac) Next? A supercomputer for your lap?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The new advertisements for Apple Expo Paris have created many questions with their use of language. A supercomputer for your desk? Next? Is there a possibility for an arrival of a G5 Powerbook family in Paris?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    no
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Uh, no. Very improbable.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    N_

I_'d like to B_uy a vowe_L please... (subtle eh?)
  • Reply 4 of 45
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Paris? That may be jumping the gun, but MWSF? Who knows. Hopefully IBM gets their BM in order soon! Let's face it Apple is backordered on PowerMacs, iPods, xServes, and soon to be G5 iMacs! Good Lord!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Paris? That may be jumping the gun, but MWSF? Who knows. Hopefully IBM gets their BM in order soon! Let's face it Apple is backordered on PowerMacs, iPods, xServes, and soon to be G5 iMacs! Good Lord!

probably. but wut is a diehard to do.

http://spinbox.techtracker.com/DA/66...xpo_pro_uk.gif
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

probably. but wut is a diehard to do.

Hang in there. I am patiently waiting for a PBG5 too.....ah soon. Apple has said as much in 10.3.5 with their PowerBook7,1 and PowerBook7,2 platform plugins. It's a matter of time. Patience Camille......

That G3 iBook is not a bad system, unless you want to do video rendering or something.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    oh its a fantastic system. im not even sure i could part with it when the g5s come. but it is a lil too slow for editing and a few other things. but nonetheless its a great machine.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:

oh its a fantastic system. im not even sure i could part with it when the g5s come. but it is a lil too slow for editing and a few other things. but nonetheless its a great machine.

Let's see if I can remember them all. Since Mac OS X made it's debut 3 or so years ago, I've had an iBook G3 (500MHz), a PowerBook G4 (500MHz), a PowerMac G4 dual 1.25GHz, a PowerBook 17", and now my lil PowerBook 12". Sick, isn't it?

I sure did like that iBook though. The 12" PowerBook seems to fit the best so far. That 17" PowerBook was nice, but way too big to be portable on an every day basis.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:

Let's see if I can remember them all. Since Mac OS X made it's debut 3 or so years ago, I've had an iBook G3 (500MHz), a PowerBook G4 (500MHz), a PowerMac G4 dual 1.25GHz, a PowerBook 17", and now my lil PowerBook 12". Sick, isn't it?

I sure did like that iBook though. The 12" PowerBook seems to fit the best so far. That 17" PowerBook was nice, but way too big to be portable on an every day basis.

yea my friend had a 17 pb and it was way too big. but everytime i go to the apple store i get like pulled right towards that 12 inch pb. i love that lil thing.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:

yea my friend had a 17 pb and it was way too big. but everytime i go to the apple store i get like pulled right towards that 12 inch pb. i love that lil thing.

Like a small, tight....well we'll just let that thought go.

Seriously, I think we are finally close to seeing a PB G5. Apple's spin is it is hard to get a G5 in a small enclosure. I think by next week, we'll see that they CAN do it with the iMac. Sure the PowerBook is a "pro" machine, but with PowerTune, it will help. If you are doing serious rendering of any kind though, I am not sure PowerTune will help. It can only step the processor, etc down when idle. Rendering is very CPU intensive, so I don't know. It's hard to battle with power management specs that have been released in 10.3.5 by Apple themselves for future PowerBooks, however.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:

Like a small, tight....well we'll just let that thought go.

Seriously, I think we are finally close to seeing a PB G5. Apple's spin is it is hard to get a G5 in a small enclosure. I think by next week, we'll see that they CAN do it with the iMac. Sure the PowerBook is a "pro" machine, but with PowerTune, it will help. If you are doing serious rendering of any kind though, I am not sure PowerTune will help. It can only step the processor, etc down when idle. Rendering is very CPU intensive, so I don't know. It's hard to battle with power management specs that have been released in 10.3.5 by Apple themselves for future PowerBooks, however.

Actually, heat is not the issue. The G5 processor actually consumes less wattage than the G4. It is a matter of architecture (the supporting cast) that must be overcome. And Apple may be closer than we think. look to MW05 for Powerbooks.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by kscherer

Actually, heat is not the issue. The G5 processor actually consumes less wattage than the G4. It is a matter of architecture (the supporting cast) that must be overcome. And Apple may be closer than we think. look to MW05 for Powerbooks.

Oh I think heat IS the issue no matter where it is produced from. Be it the processor or accompanying chipset/bus it is tough to keep things cool in a small enclosure, let alone a laptop. BTW, the processor doesn't consume, it produces...
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:

The new advertisements for Apple Expo Paris have created many questions with their use of language. A supercomputer for your desk? Next? Is there a possibility for an arrival of a G5 Powerbook family in Paris?

Supercomputer for the living room.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    I agree, a super computer for the living room or wall. If the leaked pics are to be believed, then apple may be heading in that direction with the new imac or whatever. Think about it like this, everyone and their uncle was talking about a set top box apple solution to complete the digital hub. What could be better than if the TV was the digital hub?? It's like the ultimate tv, tivo, and general purpose computer combined right.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    'On the wall'

I think that's it. A flat iMac that can also be hung on the wall with the same mounts for the Al displays. That would be oh so slick.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Yes, a All-in-One media center. That'd be awesome.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    I definitely think that PowerBooks are out of the question for the Apple Expo. I think that a tablet may be closer than the PB's.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

'On the wall'

I think that's it. A flat iMac that can also be hung on the wall with the same mounts for the Al displays. That would be oh so slick.

It seems that it might be just a bit difficult to reach over the entertainment center to slide in a CD or DVD. Sony and the ilk have tried this route and they are selling quite poorly. the concept is good, but the execution sucks gigabytes! Apple would be hard presseed to put this solution to work. I think they are still focused on the computer being the center of the digital hub with new peripherals to aid in the effort.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

I definitely think that PowerBooks are out of the question for the Apple Expo. I think that a tablet may be closer than the PB's.

With all respect to your opinion. The powerbook has the most unstable refresh cycle. Apple in the past used the cram and jam promotion to clear out inventory and intro a new pbook. With the G5 the only chip we know that is not vaporware. The banner makes sense with the desktop/lap thing. I don't see wall.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kscherer

Actually, heat is not the issue. The G5 processor actually consumes less wattage than the G4.

Can you back up this assertion?