iTunes Music Store Japan negotiations fall flat

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Nearly a year and a half after the inception of Apple's iTunes online music store, negotiations for a Japanese version of the service reportedly remain at "square one."

Like its would be American cousin, Apple would like its Japanese iTunes music store to sell music tracks for the the equivalent of US $0.99 (about 110 yen). But with similar Japanese music services now charging double that rate, and average cost of an audio CD hovering around US $30, local major music labels are telling the iPod maker to go fish.

According to industry sources, Apple began meeting with Japan's major music labels over a year ago, but have seen negotiations progress at a minimal pace, at best. "They are betting on their dominance to overthrow the resistance, but the record labels are not yet ready to surrender to a 50% cutback on their music sales," one insider said.

But price discrepancies are not the only factor threatening to prolong the negotiations, Japan's Asahi Shimbun newspaper is reporting this week. The music labels claim that Apple's copy protection measures are inadequate and are demanding that the company impose additional limitations to prevent illegal copying of digital music.

Unlike Apple's iTunes service, whose FairPlay DRM software allows music downloads to be burned onto CD-Rs, most downloads from present Japanese services are copy-protected and cannot be copied onto CD-Rs. The services also offer different file formats, each requiring specific devices to play them.

In an August 2004 interview, Apple Japan vice president, Yoshiaki Sakito, said to expect a Japanese version of its iTunes music service within a year. However, Sakito this week told the Asahi Shimbun that he is betting on the popularity of the company's iPod digital audio player to eventually help pry the market open--suggesting that the company's game plan may amount to nothing more than a waiting game.

"The record companies won't be able to swim against the tide forever,'' Sakito said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Sometimes I wonder what the record companies are thinking. If they set out to compete with free, offering albums with ultra tight DRM at 30$ a piece seems rather ridiculous.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    who cares. japanese and asian music in general sucks

let them pay 30 bucks for jay chow.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

Sometimes I wonder what the record companies are thinking. If they set out to compete with free, offering albums with ultra tight DRM at 30$ a piece seems rather ridiculous.

It seems like the Japanese market is slightly different in several ways. I know that at least on the independent house music scene, the Japanese market is sometimes afforded exclusives on material before it's released to the rest of the world.

If this is the case with the smaller labels, there are likely other special privileges afforded major labels in the Japanese market.

The question is, will Apple bend to price the singles and albums according to the market there or will it truly hold out until it can enter the market with pricing comparable to its other stores?

I don't know, but it certainly makes an interesting story.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

a great deal, and most likely the majority, of the music that would've been bought would be American pop.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

• Reply 6 of 24
    I'm not sure but I though the Japanese listen to a lot of american music. If so, doesn't apple already have licensing agreements with american music labels, so couldn't they just sell nothing but american music at first.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Wtf @$$hole. Most people in asia listen to "American" music just like you. On another annoying note "America" is a F*n continent. "The United States" or USA is what you people are referring to. Because as far as I know there is no such thing as a Canadian music store, or a Mexicano music store (they are "America" too) "America" extends all the way from Alaska to Argentina and if you ever visit any of the latin countries you will find they get pissed if you refer to USA as the only America.

The Japanese market often gets many "American" titles before we do as well as exclusives.

??????????????????????????

Achike. Anata wa baka yaro desu. baka kuso atama desu yo.

Mkay I am done. You can ban me now AI.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    People gotta take the chip of their shoulder, eh? We tease because we love.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    thewickedmusic

LOL. You must not know Applenut. PC he ain't man. But we love him(hate him?) for his 'tude. You gotta admit that Apple/iTMS is almost large enough to tell some countries to go fluc themselves. The Japanese people should revolt to getting charged out the nose.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thewickedmusic

On another annoying note "America" is a F*n continent. "The United States" or USA is what you people are referring to.

Uh, actually, it's two continents: North America and South America. The United States of America happens to be the only sovereign state (or country, depending on your preferred terminology) with "America" in its name, so abbreviating it as such has become a common, and worldwide, practice. Canadians and Mexicans and Argentinians do not commonly refer to themselves as "Americans." In fact, most would probably be insulted at your inference!
  • Reply 11 of 24
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    AI staff -- any dirt on an ETA for the Canadian iTunes Music Store?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ct77

AI staff -- any dirt on an ETA for the Canadian iTunes Music Store?

Yep, once they decide to become part of America
  • Reply 13 of 24
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by brianru

I'm not sure but I though the Japanese listen to a lot of american music. If so, doesn't apple already have licensing agreements with american music labels, so couldn't they just sell nothing but american music at first.

No, it doesn't work like that. Apple has to renegotiate its contracts for the same music in every freakin' country. That's why Europe took so long, and other places too. (I think Apple just doesn't like Canada...)
  • Reply 14 of 24
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Yep, once they decide to become part of America

Oooh, dis'. Never!! =)

ct77

Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
  • Reply 15 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Wtf @$$hole. Most people in asia listen to "American" music just like you. On another annoying note "America" is a F*n continent. "The United States" or USA is what you people are referring to. Because as far as I know there is no such thing as a Canadian music store, or a Mexicano music store (they are "America" too) "America" extends all the way from Alaska to Argentina and if you ever visit any of the latin countries you will find they get pissed if you refer to USA as the only America.

The Japanese market often gets many "American" titles before we do as well as exclusives.

wah wah

someone doesn't have the testicular fortitude to post under their real name. manko!
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

wah wah

someone doesn't have the testicular fortitude to post under their real name. manko!

Ok, here's someone who is posting...

I think that was totally uncalled for.

In Japan, most popular stuff is J-Pop... ya, it's crap, but hey, to each his own. The record execs are all 60yr old ass-holes who rob you blind by charging $30 per CD. Just like the US record companies, they're living in the stone-age. I live in Japan, I want a freaking ITMS. I'm not gonna buy the crappy J-Pop stuff... I want my US music! I'd also be satisfied with UK music.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Thanks, you just made me laugh with the lamest excuse for a Japanese insult I've ever seen (on top of writing it out in roman letters). Hint: you don't use polite forms if you're insulting someone.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    I think it's spelled jay chou in any case...
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Jay is okay.. just don't tell about those Twins..Cream..or such crappy sound.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Not all Japanese music is J-Pop. Very narrow minded to say that it is.

Listen to The Beautiful Green and Mr.Children for a more mature sound. Or Guitar Vader, those guys are great.

There are also some fantastic soundtrack composers in Japan. Yoko Kanno, Kenji Kawai, and Joe Hisaishi are the equals of any Western classical artists.