Woo hoo! Sox take the first game, 3-2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    That game was a riot. Loved it.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I love teams that beat the Yankees!!! Specially the Red Sox!!!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Too bad for me - I watch the start but anytime a game is interrupted by a rain delay, I just give up.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    13-1 headed into the Yankees' 9th.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

yea, perhaps they should have came to play today instead of embarrassing themselves

Red Sox suck.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I loved seeing the Yankee fans throw full bottles of beer at Manny Ramirez after his tremendous catch in Friday's game. It just reinforced the fact that while Red Sox fans can be rude by chanting "Yankees suck" and wearing T-shirts with the same message, Yankee fans will actually try and disrupt the game when things aren't going their way.

Yankee fans want to say that they are better than Red Sox fans for not having the "Your team sucks" mentality, but I heard plenty of "Boston Sucks" chants during the game yesterday. It was pretty funny to hear the "Let's go Red Sox chants" during the 9th inning on Friday night though.

The last Red Sox - Yankees game in NY of the season is just a few hours away. Pedro vs. Mussina, it should be a great, low scoring game if both are on the top of their game. Next weekend, there are 3 more Yankees-Red Sox games in Boston. I've got tickets for Saturday night so I'm pretty excited. Neither the Red Sox or Yankees have a day off from now until the end of the season, so it could be a very close race for the AL East down the stretch.

The people saying that baseball is 'boring' or that Football has overtaken Baseball as the national sport obviously aren't in NY or Boston. There's nothing better than a good pennant race in September.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I loved seeing the Yankee fans throw full bottles of beer at Manny Ramirez after his tremendous catch in Friday's game. It just reinforced the fact that while Red Sox fans can be rude by chanting "Yankees suck" and wearing T-shirts with the same message, Yankee fans will actually try and disrupt the game when things aren't going their way.

Yankee fans want to say that they are better than Red Sox fans for not having the "Your team sucks" mentality, but I heard plenty of "Boston Sucks" chants during the game yesterday. It was pretty funny to hear the "Let's go Red Sox chants" during the 9th inning on Friday night though.

The last Red Sox - Yankees game in NY of the season is just a few hours away. Pedro vs. Mussina, it should be a great, low scoring game if both are on the top of their game. Next weekend, there are 3 more Yankees-Red Sox games in Boston. I've got tickets for Saturday night so I'm pretty excited. Neither the Red Sox or Yankees have a day off from now until the end of the season, so it could be a very close race for the AL East down the stretch.

The people saying that baseball is 'boring' or that Football has overtaken Baseball as the national sport obviously aren't in NY or Boston. There's nothing better than a good pennant race in September.

my god you are so delusional and wrong on so many accounts that i'm embarrassed for you

1. throwing full beer bottles? um, that would be difficult for many reasons.....

1. Beer costs 8 bucks. No one is going to throw a a beer they havent drank.

2. The "bottles" are an extremely light and soft plastic that do not propel well and would never hurt anyone if hit by

3. The caps are taken upon sale so it would be impossible to throw a "full bottle" even if someone wanted to throw 8 dollars away

4. This is the first I've heard of it, so obviously it was not a big issue....and wasn't disruptive to the game. As I was watching the game and no mention of this problem was made and the game was not held up due to any bottle throwing but instead Cairo's confusion. Perhaps you didn't watch the game and are relying on the shitty Boston media who tries to make up for something they don't have....a winning team.

5. Red Sox fans are not immune from this and it's absolute bullshit that you would suggest that.

2. Boston Sucks chants.

Hello. Earth to fran. It's at the FUCKING GAME. You go to a concert in Boston and Yankees SUCK breaks out. Anywhere in Boston, people feel the need to break into that chant. It's pathetic and clearly petty. Pretty funny to hear the Let's go Red Sox chants? Are you really so oblivious to the fact that this happens in reverse at Fenway whenever the Yankees play there? Dear god, Red Sox fans are SOOOO COOL in that they can drive 5 hours to NY and chant in the 9th inning at Yankee Stadium. That never happens anywhere else. It's so fucking funny!!!!

3. Great low scoring game. Great pennant race.

Wasn't a great low scoring game. Pedro sucked. And just left after getting blown out in the 6th. Look at his face, that isn't the face of a competitor, that's the face of someone with lost hoped and who has been left out to dry. Once again the Red Sox depend too heavily on him today and once again they pay the price. This series has been very one sided and telling. With the exception of one inning Friday night, the Yankees have been in control of Boston with ease.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    1.) At least one bottle of beer, a plastic bottle which was full, was thrown at Manny. There was no cap, the liquid was flying out of it as it was thrown into left field. Terry Francona came out onto the field to talk to the umpire as the home run was replayed and they got the bottles off of the field. It was funny seeing Cairo do the home run signal and look upset though.

2.) I've been to plenty of concerts in Boston and haven't heard "Yankees suck" randomly break out. I have seen the "Yankees suck" t-shirts though. On a side note, they aren't allowed in Fenway.

3.) Yes, Pedro didn't pitch well. It was 52 degrees at game time and historically, Pedro doesn't pitch well in cold weather. I said that I thought it would be a low scoring game if both pitchers were 'on their game'. Pedro wasn't.

The season's not over yet, let's see how things are after next weekend.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

The season's not over yet, let's see how things are after next weekend.

do you ever get tired of saying that every year?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    No.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

1.) At least one bottle of beer, a plastic bottle which was full, was thrown at Manny. There was no cap, the liquid was flying out of it as it was thrown into left field. Terry Francona came out onto the field to talk to the umpire as the home run was replayed and they got the bottles off of the field. It was funny seeing Cairo do the home run signal and look upset though.

2.) I've been to plenty of concerts in Boston and haven't heard "Yankees suck" randomly break out. I have seen the "Yankees suck" t-shirts though. On a side note, they aren't allowed in Fenway.

3.) Yes, Pedro didn't pitch well. It was 52 degrees at game time and historically, Pedro doesn't pitch well in cold weather. I said that I thought it would be a low scoring game if both pitchers were 'on their game'. Pedro wasn't.

1. yankees fans, full bottles of beer, fans........ so, basically one jackass threw a bottle of beer he had been drinking and you then feel the need to say yankee fans were throwing full bottles of beer at him in an effort to delay the game or hurt manny. that's weak and typical made up BS by a red sox fan who cries not fair when he loses and is in your face when he wins.

2. I've been to plenty as well, and at nearly all of even, Yankees suck breaks out. if you are seen at a public function in boston wearing a yankee shirt, it'll break out. it's lame. one because it's like get a life. and two because how can a team that hasn't won since 1918, and is in 2nd place say that about a team that has won 26 world series since then. come up with a more appropriate chant.

3. Pedro loses, he wasn't on his game. Pedro wins, he has his stuff again. It's like this every single time. A good pitcher brings his A-game to the mound every time and especially in big games. When he doesnt have his A-game he makes up for it. Pedro did neither today.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Yum, Yanks take 3rd game 11-1.

Let's go Yankee's.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    As a neutral observer, I have to say that Yankees fans are much less annoying than Red Sox fans. Maybe if the Yankees lost every season and the fans masked their dismay by being complete jackasses the whole year, then they'd be worse, but I guess then they'd be cramping Boston's style. You say that "the Yankees are killing baseball, blah, blah, blah," but the fact remains that, if I recall correctly, the Orioles put more money into the program than anyone else for the last several years, and they continue to suck.

But even so I don't like the detail oriented arguments. All the "serious" Sox fans I've met are not only worse than serious Yankees fans, but even worse than Eagles fans. More irritating when the team loses, more irritating when the team wins, and - the big kicker - more prone to get beligerent.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Totally, the Red Sox Nation came into PacBell (won't say SBC) for interleague play and they were totally out of control. Cubs fans aren't like that. And Dodgers fans don't usually show up to regular season games up here in appreciable numbers.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    So we're a little frustrated, that's all. The patriots could win the Super Bowl every year, but Boston won't be happy until we win a world series.

I don't approve of over the top rioting and disruptive behavior, and I know Red Sox fans are guilty of it and so are plenty of other fan from other teams. Applenut said that it was just a game. Well, it is, but it's something more if you're from Boston. Like "Whitey" and the Big Dig, the whole "Yankee's Sucks" etc thing is just something we use for bonding, so the speak. (The Red Sox Nation thing is in there too). All types groups do it, but maybe other people just find it annoying. Someone has to be the loudest.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

And Dodgers fans don't usually show up to regular season games up here in appreciable numbers.

...maybe because we are scared! You guys are hard core (specially at parking lots). And don't forget the shootings and murders (BOTH at SF and the most recently here in LA). GO DODGERS!!!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    You're just frustrated that every town that the Red Sox go to has about 1/3 to 1/2 of the audience cheering for them. Yes, believe it or not, a good deal of those Sox fans are your neighbors.

Cheers at away games are often as loud for the Sox as for the home team, often louder. It must suck. I'm glad we've had a sell-out year of nearly everyone cheering for, duh, the home team, as opposed to most cities that are semi-interested in their own teams, half filling the stadium, booing their own players etc. (Someone please legalize human cloning so Toronto can fill up their stadium).

That's it, be the typical arrogant, cocky Yankees fans. (Hypocrites). I'll take my sad sack underdog Sox & fans any day. It's that sweeter when and if we do win.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

You're just frustrated that every town that the Red Sox go to has about 1/3 to 1/2 of the audience cheering for them. Yes, believe it or not, a good deal of those Sox fans are your neighbors.

Cheers at away games are often as loud for the Sox as for the home team, often louder. It must suck. I'm glad we've had a sell-out year of nearly everyone cheering for, duh, the home team, as opposed to most cities that are semi-interested in their own teams, half filling the stadium, booing their own players etc. (Someone please legalize human cloning so Toronto can fill up their stadium).

That's it, be the typical arrogant, cocky Yankees fans. (Hypocrites). I'll take my sad sack underdog Sox & fans any day. It's that sweeter when and if we do win.

um...no.

Yankee fans at away games far outnumber those when the Sox play away. Teams that never come close to selling out sell out when they play the yankees.

the sox right now just have a lot of people jumping on the 2nd place bandwagon.

As for the Sox chances...... as my shirt says on the back, "Hey Boston, there is no curse, you just suck."
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Boston has always been fun to watch. After my Dodgers, they come in third after the Cardinals.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    (off-topic)

Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Totally, the Red Sox Nation came into PacBell (won't say SBC) for interleague play and they were totally out of control.

Having nothing to do with their respective teams, the pecking order of miscreant fans in the US goes something like this:

1. Oakland

2. Philadelphia

3. Boston

4. Denver

5. Kansas City