? NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

? 64MB DDR video memory

? 56K internal modem

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Apple crippled the bus on this baby.

An iMac G5 in aluminum clothing.

Well, it does give one a bit of expandability though.

Guess $1499 is not too bad though its not the headless thingy some around here keep dreaming about.

The dream that will NEVER come true.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    For just $50 extra you get the more Exposé-friendly 128Mb Radeon 9600 XT. Combine that with some spacious third-party RAM-sticks and this is a really nice machine.
  • Reply 3 of 99
    Also it appears to use standard PCI rather than PCI-X. No loss to the market(s) they're aiming for, I think. And they didn't skimp on RAM-speed either. Had they gone with 333 MHz rather than 400 MHz that would have been a disappointment.
  • Reply 4 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

Also it appears to use standard PCI rather than PCI-X. No loss to the market(s) they're aiming for, I think. And they didn't skimp on RAM-speed either. Had they gone with 333 MHz rather than 400 MHz that would have been a disappointment.

Have a look at the video card options...theres now a mac version of the 6800 GT and Radeon 9800xt. Thats one step forward.

The FSB? One step back \
  • Reply 5 of 99
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Good.

This is what a lot of people have been crying out for.

I wonder if this is the model with the cut down/smaller motherboard that was spotted in a service manual a while back.

This is your new Cube guys...
  • Reply 6 of 99
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    This seems to effectively fill the gap between the iMac, which comes with its own display, and the $2000.00 + display tower dillemma. People who simply want some expandability and a not-built-in monitor now have a nice option.

I think these'll sell, although it is a tad larger than a Cube.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by a j stev

Have a look at the video card options...theres now a mac version of the 6800 GT and Radeon 9800xt. Thats one step forward.

Well, the GeForce 6800 Ultra was announced at the WWDC (to drive the 30" Cinema Displays) so that isn't surprising. But I'm not sure whether the 9800 XT is new to the Mac or not? I'm thinking no, but I could be wrong.
  • Reply 8 of 99
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple makes Power Mac G5 more affordable as it reincarnates the single 1.8GHz configuration.

Apple Computer on Tuesday addedÂ*a 1.8 GHz single processor Power Mac G5 desktop to its 64-bit Power Mac G5 line priced at $1,499.

The new 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5 features 6.4GB per second of fast memory bandwidth, up to 4GB of total main memory, three PCI expansion slots, up to 500GB of internal Serial ATA mass storage and AGP 8X Pro graphics capabilities.

The 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5 comes with the NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra graphics card with dual display support,high-performance I/O with Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire 800, two FireWire 400 ports, three USB 2.0 ports, optical digital audio input and output, analog audio input and output and a headphone jack. The system also supports 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme wireless networking and is Bluetooth ready for wireless connections to a host of Bluetooth-enabled peripherals.

Pricing & Availability

The new 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5 is available immediately through the company's online store and at Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers in one standard configuration.

The new 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5, with a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:

1.8 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5;

600 MHz front-side bus;

256MB 400 MHz DDR SDRAM (4GB maximum);

80GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm hard drive;

AGP 8X Pro graphics slot;

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB DDR SDRAM;

3 PCI slots (64-bit, 33 MHz); and

8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW).
  • Reply 9 of 99
    Whoah! I had to check this on Apple's site to make certain it was correct, but did anyone else notice the 600MHz bus?

Does this machine really belong with the rest of the PowerMac line with it's iMac-esque multiplier?

I wonder what the reasons were for going with a 3:1 vs. a 2:1 in this new model? It only makes the $500 bump for the DP1.8 all that more appealing, IMHO.

-John

Edit: Reading through previous posts, it seems I wasn't the only one who noticed! :-)
  • Reply 10 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

Does this machine really belong with the rest of the PowerMac line with it's iMac-esque multiplier?

It's a PowerMac. A little slower than the rest of them and a lot cheaper.

Quote:

I wonder what the reasons were for going with a 3:1 vs. a 2:1 in this new model? It only makes the $500 bump for the DP1.8 all that more appealing, IMHO.

I'd say you're doing a good job answering your own question.
  • Reply 11 of 99
    Could somebody please explain where the sanity lies in supplying any Mac with 256MB of RAM as standard?

And why Apple find it so hard to put a DVD-RW/DVD+RW/DVD-RAM drive in their computers when you can pick them up just about anywhere now for under 40 pounds sterling?

These two things continue to baffle me whenever Apple announce a new product.
  • Reply 12 of 99
    Makes the middle iMac look like a decent deal (if you don't care about slots and changeable display).
  • Reply 13 of 99
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Wow, the computer I bought a year ago is now $800 less and just as fas- never mind.

I've got a faster bus, more RAM, and a bigger HD.
  • Reply 14 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by MattW

Could somebody please explain where the sanity lies in supplying any Mac with 256MB of RAM as standard?

Whether it is sain or not I will not say. But this topic has been discussed repeatedly. Infact, the loud cry for more standard RAM is heard every time Apple ships a new machine. One of the arguments is that Apple (and its resellers) wants to sell you the added RAM for a tidy profit. Also, many resellers offer to up the RAM free of charge, if you buy your Mac from them. So it becomes an easy way for them to attract customers.

Quote:

And why Apple find it so hard to put a DVD-RW/DVD+RW/DVD-RAM drive in their computers when you can pick them up just about anywhere now for under 40 pounds sterling?

Actually, I think the Pioneer drive in the PowerMacs does support those standards, with exception for DVD-RAM, possibly. It's Apple who chooses not to support them in software.

[Edit: Apple apparently does support DVD+RW in software, as pointed out by Eugene]
  • Reply 15 of 99
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Quote:

I'd say you're doing a good job answering your own question.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Makes the middle iMac look like a decent deal (if you don't care about slots and changeable display).

The perfectly positioned machine to sell both the low end tower and the middle iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I've got a faster bus, more RAM, and a bigger HD.

However, two of those three can be upped at any time for very little money.
  • Reply 17 of 99
    Quote:

Whether it is sain or not I will not say. But this topic has been argued repeatedly. Infact, the loud cry for more standard RAM is heard every time Apple ships a new machine. One of the arguments is that Apple (and its resellers) wants to sell you the added RAM for a tidy profit. Also, many resellers offer to up the RAM free of charge, if you buy your Mac from them. Like a sales offer.

The cynical argument - and probably true, unfortunately. It'd be fine if OS X worked better on 256MB of RAM.

Of course, if you buy your extra RAM from somewhere other than Apple, it's not so bad a hit on the wallet.

Quote:

Actually, I think the Pioneer drive in the PowerMacs does support those standards, with exception for DVD-RAM, possibly. It's Apple who chooses not to support them in software.

Interesting. Politics, perhaps? Still, it seems odd that they don't support at least one of the rewriteable DVD formats.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    Quote:

Of course, if you buy your extra RAM from somewhere other than Apple, it's not so bad a hit on the wallet.

No but it does leave you with the rather unpleasant ordeal of having to fiddle with the innards of your computer. Which many people fear like the plague.

Quote:

Interesting. Politics, perhaps? Still, it seems odd that they don't support at least one of the rewriteable DVD formats.

Apple is all about standards these days, and as far as I know the DVD-R(W) is the official standard from the DVD Forum. The others are standards introduced by various DVD-drive manufacturers and cheered on by Redmond itself.

I'm not certain since I don't actually have a DVD-burner myself, but I think that although Apple makes no mention of it in its documents, they actually do support both DVD-R and DVD-RW.
  • Reply 19 of 99
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

The drives in Apple Power Macs do write DVD+RW and DVD-RW media with the built-in software. You don't even need Toast or anything.

A drive like the new DVR-108 (which isn't in any Power Mac yet) also supports reading DVD-RAM.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The drives in Apple Power Macs do write DVD+RW and DVD-RW media with the built-in software. You don't even need Toast or anything.

Oh, I stand corrected! Has this been the case all along?