Hope you didn't already buy a Mac mini!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
BTO prices were lowered:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/...25124129.shtml

this is obviously in response to the complaints of expensive upgrades.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Haha. Maybe they'll give the mini a minor bump every two weeks.

They haven't even changed the tech specs page to reflect the 8x DVD burner.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Some people on the Apple forums are reporting kernel panics using Kingston 1G PC2700 memory. Apple is apparently shipping minis with PC3200, although the mini FAQ states that either is compatible and that there is no benefit to using PC3200.

The faster memory was probably cheaper for Apple and that's likely the only reason it is being used... but part of me wonders if PC2700 memory is really close in timing and that is why some are having problems even with even decent quality memory like Kingston. I haven't heard if anyone has had problems with Crucial, which is still $100 cheaper than Apple's BTO offering.

The new BTO price is at least a tiny bit more reasonable for people who aren't comfortable cracking their case or just want a worry-free experience.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    AUGH!

Must... wait... for... tax... return....

• Reply 4 of 42
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Apples reaction to poor sales of ram upgrades. Had to happen sooner or later (I'm sure Apple don't want folks busting open their Mac minis for a bit of DIY upgrading).
  • Reply 5 of 42
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I feel for anyone who bought the super drive: a rev b in 2 weeks: that is insane: It shoulda been 8x to start with if they were going to do it that quick...the price changes were merely reaction to market responce-nothing new here...but boy am I glad that I dont have my w2s yet, hell maybe in a month, the proc will be bumped to 1.5 ghz!
  • Reply 6 of 42
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I feel for anyone who bought the super drive: a rev b in 2 weeks: that is insane: It shoulda been 8x to start with if they were going to do it that quick...the price changes were merely reaction to market responce-nothing new here...but boy am I glad that I dont have my w2s yet, hell maybe in a month, the proc will be bumped to 1.5 ghz!

Crap - those bastards!
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Apparently, a lot of minis had already shipped with that 8x drive...
  • Reply 8 of 42
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    actually, i am betting this is apple's way of preventing people from getting the fool idea of cracking open the mini case and performing their own upgrades, then trying to cover up the evidence and having apple clean up the mess.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

looks like uk prices are still the same so no reduction here!

and when you add a superdrive on the uk store it does not say 8 x so I guess it's still the 4x for us

Maybe in a few weeks for us then when the initial stock has been sold.

My theory is that Apple are taking so many order for this that they can now order their parts cheaper thru economies of scale and they are passing this on to "some" of their customers.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tadunne

looks like uk prices are still the same so no reduction here!

Up until today, Edu pricing was identical to retail. Now the price has been discounted on the educational store.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Or more likely they intend to use the 8x superdrive on the powerbook and iMac G5 very soon as well so it makes sense to just buy one model from Matsushita and get a bigger discount. OEM's almost always charge the same or less for the replacement model of optical or Hard drives so I bet Apple paid no more for them than before. Also I hear there is support for 16X DVD-R/W's in 10.3.8 so I bet the Powermacs will get a Pioneer DVR-108 drive shortly (Actually thay do already its just crippled in firmware!!!)
  • Reply 12 of 42
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Now 8X superdrives?

I suspect that apple was simply clearing out their stock of slower drives. Can't exactly throw hundreds of thousands of those away. Ship with the older drive until the components warehouse is empty... then announce the switch to the faster ones.

Normal inventory management is what this particular upgrade smells of... not of apple changing it's mind about anything.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    For the most part, these price changes shouldn't affect many, as price protection should kick in from Apple for those already ordered. The only loss would be the 4x --> 8x SD, although if many were already shipping with 8x SD then it's not a huge issue.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Could someone with a Mac mini (Superdrive) please run System Profiler and tell us which model DVD+/-RW drive it has?

Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info...

Thank you!
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

What makes you say that? Are the 4x drives really 8x drives that have been crippled in firmware?
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

What makes you say that? Are the 4x drives really 8x drives that have been crippled in firmware?

People have been checking model numbers in System Profiler, and the model number of the 8x drive comes up some of the time.

Apple does this frequently: They source multiple products for a single product line, then advertize only the baseline. So, for example, a lot of SuperDrives have shipped with DVD+R capability for years now, but Apple didn't officially acknowledge that until they all did. Reports of minis with 5400RPM drives are also trickling in over at Ars.

As long as they only advertize the capabilities supported by every single model they're using, this is fine.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    As long as people find a happy surprise in System Profiler, everything's fine. Hate to see it the other way, though.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:

People have been checking model numbers in System Profiler, and the model number of the 8x drive comes up some of the time.

Can you point me in the direction of this information? I cannot find anyone who has done this and I would very much like to see the model numbers. Thank you.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835F:

ManufacturertMATSHITA

ModeltMATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835F

RevisiontGGN7

Serial Numbert

Drive TypetCD-RW/DVD-RW

Disc BurningtApple Supported/Shipped

Removable MediatYes

Detachable DrivetNo

ProtocoltATAPI