Safari: I got a Pop up window for the 1st time

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'll be danged. I got a pop up window today after using Safari for almost a year. (1st time)

Anybody else ever get a pop up window using Safari when Block pop up windows is turned on?

Wrong forum. Please move it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I'll be danged. I got a pop up window today after using Safari for almost a year. (1st time)

Anybody else ever get a pop up window using Safari when Block pop up windows is turned on?

I got one the other day. It may have been the first time in almost 2 years. I was on a tax preparation site, and something was not working. I unchecked to block popups, and tried to refresh but nothing changed. So I checked it. Went to a few other sites and got a popup. Not sure if I had to restart Safari for it to take affect. I think it may have happened to me once or twice with the same scenario (where I turned of popup blocking as a test).
  • Reply 2 of 47
    A site from the archive is:

http://popuptest.com/

Safari failed the drop down test a year ago.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    I got one as well. This was after I updated and 10.3.8 and safari reset that preference to not block
  • Reply 4 of 47
    This funny, I got one for the first time ever since beta?
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Quote:

A site from the archive is:

http://popuptest.com/

Safari failed the drop down test a year ago.

Mine worked just fine on all tests. I did however get a pop-up for the new Motorolla Razor when I opend Safari for the first time today.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    I've never gotten a popup using Safari.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    I never have either, until today. Maybe just a fluke, or did someone figure out how to get around pop-up blockers?
  • Reply 8 of 47
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Safari also failed for the "sticky popup", but these kinda of floating div tricks are hardly popups. When used for advertisements they're surely annoying, but a pop-up it is not.

I also really hate the "drop down popup". I see those sometimes on sites and when I do I never return.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I never have either, until today. Maybe just a fluke, or did someone figure out how to get around pop-up blockers?

I suspect that this is true. Until recently, Gecko-based browsers like Mozilla, Firefox, and Camino had excellent pop-up blocking features. However, I am beginning to see non-AOL pop-ups get around them. FWIW, no other browser comes even close to IE in allowing pop-ups.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Mozilla is beginning to give me pop ups gere in the land of windows as well, I thought that I left this behinf but the javascript in the headers continues to advance whilst the popuip blocking filters do not, looks like it is time for a tune-up release of mozilla* and safari.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Safari also failed for the "sticky popup", but these kinda of floating div tricks are hardly popups. When used for advertisements they're surely annoying, but a pop-up it is not.

I also really hate the "drop down popup". I see those sometimes on sites and when I do I never return.

A simple solution would be a javascript toggle switch in the toolbar, turn it off, go to the site read what you want, and then turn it back on without use of a control pallete
  • Reply 12 of 47
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Yep! Safari Popup blocker has been penetrated. I just got one. At least it was behind my main window. I never saw it until I closed my browser window.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    I never got one until 10.3.8
  • Reply 14 of 47
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    If you are on this site and using Safari, you will get a pop up.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I have not gotten one on AI yet.

BTW, Somebody should move this thread to where it goes. Please.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Nope
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I never got one until 10.3.8

reselect block pop ups in file menu- 10.3.8 changes it
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aussie John

reselect block pop ups in file menu- 10.3.8 changes it

That would be the safari menu, but it isn't the problem. It was already checked.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That would be the safari menu, but it isn't the problem. It was already checked.

You are correct. This problem predates MacOS X 10.3.8. It is not limited to Safari. You just have to give it to them. Some pop-up developers have found a way to circumvent pop-up blockers. Pop-up blockers are going to have to get better. It is as simple as that.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    I got my first one ever yesterday.