"intel inside" badge

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm PRETTY sure part of the negotiations included the ability to NOT put the stupid Intel Inside badge... does anyone know for sure if Apple will be able to do away with it?

And, actually, would it be a good idea to keep the badge (for Joe consumer to be reassured...)

Also, I wonder if our PowerMacs and PowerBooks etc will be renamed to "PowerMac P5" or something...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    I can foresee you getting some Intel stickers with the Apple ones in the box, but I seriously doubt that Apple will start slapping millions of ugly PC stickers all over their products.

Joe Consumer doesn't need to know the processor architecture of their new toy. They just need to see that it works.

PowerMacs and PowerBooks will be no more seeing as the 'Power' bit comes from the name of their processor - PowerPC.

IntelBook doesn't have the same ring to it...
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Actually PowerBooks were introduced before the PowerPC chips came out. The first PowerBook that used a PowerPC chip (the 603e) was the 5400 series which were actually some of the worst PB's of all time.

I see no need to change the name.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    PowerMac and Powerbook have become too ingrained to replace.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    PowerBook and PowerMac will remain, obviously.

But, if you look, my PowerBook says "PowerBook G4" on the inner part of the screen (below).

I'd imagine some name change is gonna happen... so.. .will it be "PowerBook Inside" "PowerBook P5" etc...
  • Reply 5 of 39
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    No worries

The good-taste-apple-design-team would never allow any sticker or badge on a Mac. It simply wont be done.

And I imagine the naming will be very non alarming like, "The New Power Mac"
  • Reply 6 of 39
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Well partnering with the Intel Inside program usually gets a manufacturer an allocation of money for joint marketing. That said I think Apple will probably try to not do it and emphasise that there's intel inside in other ways. I wouldn't be surprised if they put it on everything but the computer though.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    oh really?

Also, "PowerPC" was on basically every PowerMac made until recently. It was definetly a lot less obtrusive, but still.

Could actually be funky to have a stylized "Intel Inside" monochrome logo or somethng,,,
  • Reply 8 of 39
    merovingianmerovingian Posts: 436member
    Well I didn't see any "Intel Inside" stickers on the picture of the Intel-based Development Power Mac...

Still, that doesn't mean much...
  • Reply 9 of 39
    i'd cry
  • Reply 10 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    There won't be a badge, like the one we found in a PC (the adhesive kind of stuff), but there will be a logo discribing the type of chip, with the name Intel.

Apple will be proud (as always) of his new computers, and will not hide it. Apple choosed the Intel chips, because, according to him, Intel made the best chips (you know this is marketing) : so he will say out loud, that there is intel chips inside his computers.

You can also bet that this logo will be a custom one, not the regular bran stuff we see on PC
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Apple choosed the Intel chips, because, according to him, Intel made the best chips (you know this is marketing) : so he will say out loud, that there is intel chips inside his computers.

You're probably right in how Apple will go about it but at least for portables it is very hard to say the Pentium Ms aren't the best chips, and I think that's what Apple really cares about as it allows them to innovate design.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Believe it or not, the next PowerMac could be called the PowerMac G6. In fact, ALL of the Intel Mac models may have the G6 designation on first release.

Remember that while Apple calls it a "G4", Motorola (now Freescale) has had a variety of models ranging from the original 7400 to the most recent 7447. Regardless of all the chip differences in between, the monicker has remained G4. "G4" is an Apple marketing term, and has nothing to do with Motorola or Freescale.

The "G5" was Apple's way of distinguishing the IBM PPC 970 chips from Motorola's 74xx line. Again, it's an Apple marketing term, and nothing that IBM used internally.

My guess is that although the test machines for developers are using P4 chips, I doubt Apple will release ANY Intel based machines on that chip. Based on the 2006-2007 timeframe listed for delivery, my guess is that Apple's Intel-based laptops will be using the "Yonah" single & dual-core Pentium-M chips, while the desktops will be using the single & dual-core "Presler" Pentium-D chips. There is enough of a difference in the MHz ratings (and some of the chips will be single core only) that Apple won't have to pull the "G4 for low-end, G5 for high-end" tricks they needed with Motorola and IBM.

eMac, iMac, and Mac mini use the single-core Presler chip.

PowerMacs use the dual-core Presler chip.

iBooks use the single-core Yonah chip.

PowerBooks use the dual-core Yonah chip.

While I'd like to see Apple use dual-core chips across the entire lineup, past Apple marketing has always included some form of artificial distinctions between the i Series and Power Series. Single/Dual core differentiation would make the most sense here. (But I'd rather be wrong, and have dual-core across the board with MHz being the only difference...not likely though.)

The entire lineup: <x>Mac G6, <x>Book G6, where "<x>" is either "i" or "Power"... I doubt Apple will mention the words "Pentium D" or "Pentium M" anywhere except on their tech specs page. It certainly will NOT be printed on the computers themselves. The "G6" name fits right into past marketing behavior.

My opinion...just speculation.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Ens,

That actually sounds logical enough.

Question is, does Apple want to address the hard core Mac users (us) who KNOW there is a different processor inside and therefore call it "a P6" OR do they want to just "quietly" continue the naming convention with the G series and not confuse consumers.

I have quite a few colleagues and friends that have heard of G5 just by the two digits "Oh, is that one of those G5 computers that I heard are so fast?"

Many know the G5 as a technology, etc.

Will it be confusing to say "The G6 is an intel chip" and then have Dell, HP, Sony, etc refer to it by its Intel names (Pentium 9 Quad Core 16GHz...)
  • Reply 14 of 39
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Does the G stand for "generation" ?

If it does then a Generation 6 or G6 is perfectly acceptable, I think...
  • Reply 15 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Ens,

Question is, does Apple want to address the hard core Mac users (us) who KNOW there is a different processor inside and therefore call it "a P6" OR do they want to just "quietly" continue the naming convention with the G series and not confuse consumers.

I have quite a few colleagues and friends that have heard of G5 just by the two digits "Oh, is that one of those G5 computers that I heard are so fast?"

Will it be confusing to say "The G6 is an intel chip" and then have Dell, HP, Sony, etc refer to it by its Intel names (Pentium 9 Quad Core 16GHz...)

1. i agree with ensoniq

2. hi ZO ! good to meet ya and all the rest on the appleinsider ichatroom during the freakish revelations of wwdc

3. the interesting part is when the first Intel-Macs are released, they will probably call it G6... the only thing why they may not is if they are still trying to push powermac g5s at the time... so i don't know. it could work, brand-image-wise it would still be clear between a "iMac g6 or iBook g6" and PowerMac G5. hmm designwise making the g in g6 lowercase might make it sit nicer next to the G5 in uppercase to make sure people know what's what. then PowerMac G6 and PowerBook G6 , g in uppercase.

4. we'll see i guess \

you know, apple is going to make Intel cool again. i can already feel it... apple is boosting intel's brand...!
  • Reply 16 of 39
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Ens,

Same here, with the friends/colleagues I mean.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

1. i agree with ensoniq

you know, apple is going to make Intel cool again. i can already feel it... apple is boosting intel's brand...!

Good point ensoniq anyway.

And sunilraman, what do you think, could apple

leverage intel to rethink their Pentium nameing scheme?

Perhaps both of them come up with some exciting

name, brand whatever.

my2cents

EDIT: fixed typo
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Vox,

I see what you mean, but just like Apple is a household name, so is the idiotic "Pentium" moniker.

To change a name now would be like throwing out a decade of marketing.

On the other hand.. Pentium *is* getting a bit long in the tooth.

Apple would come come up with a kickass name... then again.. lately with "Bonjour", "safari" and other dumb names, it could be a close call.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensoniq

PowerMacs use the dual-core Presler chip.

I'd be very surprised if they used anything prior to conroe. There's a reason Apple is switching to Intel and it sure isn't the P4. There's also a reason they expect the Powermacs not to change until 2007. In fact I expect Apple is only going to use Pentium M derivatives through their whole product line. I don't expect anything with the netburst architecture will ever end up being shipped by Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Vox,

I see what you mean, but just like Apple is a household name, so is the idiotic "Pentium" moniker.

To change a name now would be like throwing out a decade of marketing.

On the other hand.. Pentium *is* getting a bit long in the tooth.

Apple would come come up with a kickass name... then again.. lately with "Bonjour", "safari" and other dumb names, it could be a close call.

hi Vox,

what ZO said