New iMac sob story.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm kind of hating Apple at this very moment.

After saving up the money over several months, I finally purchased a refurbished 17" 2.0G Superdrive iMac which arrived yesterday. Of course, being the owner of a 6-year old lime iMac, I just HAD to open the box and play with my new toy. The file transfer to the new machine was PERFECT. No glitches. Everything works, everything's there. Apple rocks.

Then they unveil new iMacs this morning. For $50 more I could have gotten a built-in iSight, the Mighty Mouse and the cool little remote.

If I had waited just ONE more day to open the box, I could have shipped it back (at my expense) and use the money to purchase the new iMac with all the new goodies. But no, I had to use it right away. Now, if I want to return it, there's a 10% "restocking fee."

$125 restocking fee + $40 shipping + $50 difference in price = $215. Is it worth it?

Someone please tell me that I should just keep my machine, calm down and be happy. Thank you.

GTSC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    keep your machine

calm down

be happy
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent

After saving up the money over several months, I finally purchased a refurbished 17" 2.0G Superdrive iMac which arrived yesterday. Of course, being the owner of a 6-year old lime iMac, I just HAD to open the box and play with my new toy. The file transfer to the new machine was PERFECT. No glitches. Everything works, everything's there. Apple rocks.

Then they unveil new iMacs this morning. For $50 more I could have gotten a built-in iSight, the Mighty Mouse and the cool little remote.

If I had waited just ONE more day to open the box, I could have shipped it back (at my expense) and use the money to purchase the new iMac with all the new goodies. But no, I had to use it right away. Now, if I want to return it, there's a 10% "restocking fee."

$125 restocking fee + $40 shipping + $50 difference in price = $215. Is it worth it?

Someone please tell me that I should just keep my machine, calm down and be happy. Thank you.

GTSC

Im feeling the same way right now.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

GTSC

Why are you upset that you now have an option to upgrade to a "Fracken Awsome" New model iMac? It's simple, if you like your current iMac and don't need the extra features, faster processor and graphics card then don't spend the $215. I would get the new one, no dought about it. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Why are you upset that you now have an option to upgrade to a "Fracken Awsome" New model iMac? It's simple, if you like your current iMac and don't need the extra features, faster processor and graphics card then don't spend the $215. I would get the new one, no dought about it. Hope this helps.

Actually, the processor for the new iMac 17" is marginally slower.

However, I'm curious as to the difference in video card quality. Is it that significant?

Also, I see some complaining about the new memory setup, but I'm not computer-savvy enough to understand the basis for it.

Basically, I'm consoling myself with the argument that the iSight would be more useful apart from the display, as it can be remounted in various positions. The Mighty Mouse sounds cool, but I'd probably go with a 3rd party trackball, anyway. So, that just leaves the questions of the video card and memory structure.

My new machine is really sweet (despite a bit of an annoying fan whine), but I still can't help feeling a little bit cheated.

GTSC
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Upgrade it. You know you want to...do it. Otherwise, you'll always regret.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    upgrade it. you know you want it, its better, smaller, thinner with a better vid card....consider the $215 worth it. otherwise you'll look at it every day and go...hrmph, i wish i had that new one with the isight built in... and since its a rev. A you'll get a new one in 6 months when this one torches, warps, fails, or flatlines.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I would at least try calling them claiming it was refurbished "open box" unit anyway. If you try hard enough they might make an exception seeing that it is refurbished.

Call them up and be nice, don't get all psychotic or nothing, just explain to them your case.

Worth the try. IMHO.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    yeah, ours is underway... we live in the Caribbean, so returning it is quite a hassle. For one, the weight and then the insurance... but we are going to look into it. Really lousy to see this happening...really cool if we are able to switch it quickly
  • Reply 9 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Basically, I'm consoling myself with the argument that the iSight would be more useful apart from the display, as it can be remounted in various positions. The Mighty Mouse sounds cool, but I'd probably go with a 3rd party trackball, anyway. So, that just leaves the questions of the video card and memory structure.

And Front Row and the remote. I'd trade it.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacAficionado

I would at least try calling them claiming it was refurbished "open box" unit anyway. If you try hard enough they might make an exception seeing that it is refurbished.

Call them up and be nice, don't get all psychotic or nothing, just explain to them your case.

Worth the try. IMHO.

That's my suggestion, too. They may go for it and its only a phone call. Just gush about how much you love the new machine.

I do understand, though as I weighed the "old" iMac G5s very carefully, but finally decided I wanted more monitor flexibility. I only recently bought a beautifully refurbed 20" iMac G4 from SmallDog because I've always loved them, but couldn't get it when they cancelled the line and already had a 15" (just gave it to my beloved), and finally opted for that over the all-in-one G5. Now, I would probably have gone for the new iMac G5, but I'm not sending anything back.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacAficionado

Worth the try. IMHO.

Well, I DID call them today and be nice, but they were basically insistent on the 10% "restocking fee", and I'm not in the financial position to upgrade for $200-plus bucks. However, if they'd waive the fee which makes up most of that amount, I'd return it in a heartbeat.

Would emailing Steve Jobs help? :-)

GTSC
  • Reply 12 of 23
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I thought they had a 10-day or 14-day upgrade policy if a new product came out in that time frame. May not apply to refurbs though.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Good news.

I called back and pressed my point again, and Apple agreed to waive the restocking fee. Very cool.

So, I'll be boxing it back up and returning it. RevC iMac, here I come!

GTSC
  • Reply 14 of 23
    See didn't that work out well?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Good news.

I called back and pressed my point again, and Apple agreed to waive the restocking fee. Very cool.

So, I'll be boxing it back up and returning it. RevC iMac, here I come!

GTSC

Awesome, keep up us updated about the new, new machine!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member

Congratulations! Maybe there's still hope!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Congrats on that trade!

I've had my iMac G5 just about a year now (Rev A/20"/1.8Ghz/1Gb/180Gb/Superdrive) and was disheartened when Steve made it not cool anymore

My wife is hassling me to eBay it, but really, I already have an iSight and Mighty mouse, so I don't think it's worth the loss I'd make.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

Congrats on that trade!

I've had my iMac G5 just about a year now (Rev A/20"/1.8Ghz/1Gb/180Gb/Superdrive) and was disheartened when Steve made it not cool anymore

My wife is hassling me to eBay it, but really, I already have an iSight and Mighty mouse, so I don't think it's worth the loss I'd make.

Tell us a little more about this wife of yours... She has not only a passing interest in technology/computers, but even HASSLES you to get the latest and greatest?!? Holy crap, that's awesome!
  • Reply 19 of 23
    ***CONGRATULATIONS***

And... CALM DOWN! (all over again)
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Send that PIG back and get the new design!

PS Don't look at the new Intel iMacs when they come out in 6 months or it may send you over the edge!