Apple compiles first Mac OS X 10.4.4 builds

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Engineers at Apple Computer have recently compiled the first builds of Mac OS X 10.4.4, the fourth in a series of several maintenance updates planned for the company's Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" operating system over the next 10 months, tipsters tell AppleInsider

While few, if any, details of the operating system update have yet to surface, some Apple developers have reportedly been told to expect the first pre-release external seeds of the software during the last week of November or first week of December.

Apple has historically completed and released to the public a maintenance update to its Mac OS X operating system just prior the Christmas holiday and the company's short winter vacation.

Last year Apple released Mac OS X 10.3.7 on December 15th and the year before issued Mac OS X 10.3.2 on December 17th. Back in 2002, the Mac maker posted to its website Mac OS X 10.2.3 on December 19th, just days before the holidays.

Each of the holiday maintenance updates saw their first external seed come in mid-to-late November, suggesting that Mac OS X 10.4.4 could be on a similar schedule that spans only a few weeks from developer seeding to release.

Regardless of whether Mac OS X 10.4.4 will make the pre-holiday cut or debut shortly after the new year, sources believe a later milestone of the update may be used on the first Macs that will ship with Intel processors in the first half of 2006.

Apple recently issued the third maintenance release to its Tiger operating system, brining the software up to version 10.4.3 during the last week in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    cool
  • Reply 2 of 60
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Any word about Dashcode?
  • Reply 3 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The most interesting comment in the article is the "over the next 10 months".

I wonder if that puts a release date for 10.5 on the table for about September 2006.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    The big question : is Quartz 2D exteme enabled ?
  • Reply 5 of 60
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    As long as it's not a huge download, I'll be happy.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by french macuser

The big question : is Quartz 2D exteme enabled ?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301984

Quote:

Disables Quartz 2D Extreme?Quartz 2D Extreme is not a supported feature in Tiger, and re-enabling it may lead to video redraw issues or kernel panics.

• Reply 7 of 60
    Yes, we are STILL waiting for Tiger to be decent quality...

As for the "10 months" I really hope that is NOT true.

10.5 needs to be a serious, major update. It needs to change the game on Microsoft and not be a minor bump like we have seen over the past few years.

I hope Apple takes their time with 10.5. Make sure they have incorporated every good idea from Longhorn--yes there will be some. And then put Microsoft to shame but leapfrogging them in a major way.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

10.5 needs to be a serious, major update. It needs to change the game on Microsoft and not be a minor bump like we have seen over the past few years.

I hope Apple takes their time with 10.5. Make sure they have incorporated every good idea from Longhorn--yes there will be some. And then put Microsoft to shame but leapfrogging them in a major way.

10 months from now gives Apple a good 18 month development cycle. Longer than this last one was.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    It is going to be quite enjoyable to watch Apple release the new Mac line and Leopard around the same time as M$ tries to roll out vista. Finally, the media will be able to compare the OS offerings from both companies on a more level playing field. The OS War is about to be brought to the forefront for the first time in a long time. When was the last time that both companies released an OS at the same time, or even within 6 months of each other?

I don't mind paying Apple every 18 months for an OS upgrade. It works out to less than $10 a month for a beautiful, stable, secure and powerful OS that understands how I want to work and lets me be more productive. That's a much better deal then having to pay M$ $10 a month for spyware protection, anti-virus protection and also have to pay them for new OS's every couple years that do little more than change the color scheme of the desktop! Talk about a racket!! Isn't it against the law to provide a product of know inferior quality and then charge extra to make it work properly?
  • Reply 10 of 60
    The impressive part is that Apple is still going full steam on 10.4 while working on the Mactels and 10.5. Why is it that little old Apple can do this and big old MS can't?
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:

I knew, I wasn't serious.

Since at least one dude asked for Q2DX at each tiger update, I had to do so.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

The impressive part is that Apple is still going full steam on 10.4 while working on the Mactels and 10.5. Why is it that little old Apple can do this and big old MS can't?

MS does. They have at least five different operating systems that they are working on at once. Then comes the X Box, now the 360. They produce their own games, as well as Office, an enterprise size Database, hardware, and many other products as well.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

Keep that page handy, you'll need it again...and again.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Keep that page handy, you'll need it again...and again.

• Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:

Thats because they Suck........

Microsoft = theives, thats the only reason why Vista has been delayed for years and years now... because apple keeps Inovating and microcrap keeps having to change the formula or rethink everything.

I hope apple keeps on making them have to go back to the drawing board until they are inovated out of existance......... I know format bashing has become very unpopular latley on msg brds but hey "way back before i switched to mac.... i lost some very very important files that are never to be had again" thanks to their incompitance in making a secure o.s. let them eat cake!!!!

• Reply 16 of 60
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Ah, alright, heh
  • Reply 17 of 60
    uh, i've lost files on my macs over the years.... especially pre-osx days...

and i personally hope vista is stellar - the faster software progresses, the better it is for all of us - even if the features show up on our second favorite platform first...
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

well you know, tiger really is a great OS point release, and were around when it came out? people left and right were bashing apple for releasing products too quickly. they didnt want to have to pay $130 every year. and now all of a sudden there's a demand for 10.5?? i just dont understand.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    It's very simple to understand, people like to complain. They also like to refuse to take any responsibility for themselves.

I'd say 10.5 will be the one that utilises and adds support for IA-32e, it is about the right timeframe, and that certainly isn't a bad thing. There are always things that can be added or improved and people normally like something new but for now 10.4 works well enough and I get what I need to done.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    you know, with apple's recent vague patent about multi-boot system setups out of the box, they may just want leopard and vista to play VERY well together. and i've said it before, microsoft DOES NOT CARE what kind of box runs their OS and apps. they'd be happy to stab every contract-holder in the back and side with apple if there were macs threatning to be on every desktop. microsoft is in it for the money, bottom line, pure and simple. if you always remember that, lots of other things fall into place.