I just bought a Roomba

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hehe. Lets see if I spent $500 on something useful or just a cat-detester

Yes $500 is a lot. But its my year of the money I have really wanted one in three years now.

First impression: A semi Apple like out of the box experience. Pulsing power button. Yay

Full report in a week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Full report in a week.

It'll take that long to finish one room.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Hehe. Just found a nice difference between american and european marketing

American

European

Looks like its marketed towards the TVShop segment in US while its more the cool hip young tech-aware segment here.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I want a Flowbee.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Maybe when my kids are older, there will be enough stuff off the floor so that I can fill my house with Roombas (and maybe a Scooba or two), but right now it would make it maybe 3 feet.

Poor little roomba got caught in the toys, could not make it back to the charging stand and starved to death. RIP. 8)
  • Reply 5 of 27
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    What model did you get?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    at 500 big ones he probably got the roomba scheduler
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

at 500 big ones he probably got the roomba scheduler

I thought I saw that listed at $375 or so.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Correction: $329.99
  • Reply 9 of 27
    They are pretty hard to get here so its special import and sellers marked. Its not the scheduler but the one just low it, Discovery SE or or something...
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

I want a Flowbee.

• Reply 11 of 27
    I'm curious to hear how it works for you. I don't think it could completely replace my vacuum, but it could surely help out.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    This thread reminded me of my favorite roomba review. This review predated the Scooba. Thought I'd share it:

This thing works great and it also scares the bejesus out of my 1 year old child.

The other day i set roomba loose in my basement to try and clean up 18 beer bottles that i had thrown against the wall the previous night. What did Roomba do? he flashed the blue light at me and stayed away from the glass. There was no way that i was cleaning up the mess, so i boxed roomba in with the electronic walls, gave him a pep talk and he went out and did a very good job. I had to empty him a couple of times, but he got the job done none-the-less.

One day i was coked out of my mind and i wanted to see if roomba could mop the floor. I took the spray nozzle from my sink and sprayed water all over my floor, i unleashed roomba and he didnt really do a good job. By this time my man servant realized what i had done and had a brilliant idea. we ordered up a replacement broom/sweeper/brush thing from irobot. Then we took out all the bristles. I bought a mop that has the wide things hanging off, not the string and cut them to about a 1/2in. then with some rubber cement and a will like a tiger my man servant began gluing the mop tassles on. after 4 hours and 3 mia tais, we had the mopba prototype R:3. We first had roomba clean the marble floor as usual, then we sprayed some water and detergent on the floor at let him have at it again. He did a satisfactory job, but the floor had no stain on it. Where mopba really excelled was after the floor dried and we threw down some mop-n-glo. He spread it all around and made the floor shine. the under carraige of roomba was a little filthy after doing this and was semi hard to clean up. I would strongly reccomend having someone do this part for you. Overall I give the Roomba 4 stars for reliability. I have named my roomba and encourage all of you to also name yours. I call him Pat Sajak, because, well, he sucks.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by opus

I have named my roomba and encourage all of you to also name yours. I call him Pat Sajak, because, well, he sucks.

• Reply 14 of 27
    Its VERY great as cat detester and up to now also great for its primary function. I have not made any "controlled" tests but it does take all the dust I would have done with my manual vacuum cleaner.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    So, what's the word now that you've had some time to use it?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Uh-oh.

Anders fires up the Roomba and suddenly he falls strangely silent....
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Its still just as impressive. I wish it had springs and could do my sofa and bed as well but that will take some years I guess

I still recommend it
  • Reply 18 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I have one, too. We have 4 cats and hardwood floors in our house, so the dust bunnies can really get out of control. When we remember to run it every day, it works great. It's terrible on carpet, though.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    You've sold me. Berkeley is dusty as hell and if this little device will vacuum the floors while I'm at work, the apartment will be cleaner and my real vacuuming will be far easier.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    The only real issue is that you need to keep crap off the floor. But that just forces you to pick up after yourself.