Tick-tock...How long before 10.4.4 is running on a Dell?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How long before 10.4.4 is cracked by the worlds smartest minds in lazy bodies and running on my dell?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    never, cause dells suck like all other pc companys. dells well never handle it. please they tried it and did not work well.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rise Above

never, cause dells suck like all other pc companys. dells well never handle it. please they tried it and did not work well.

BACK AWAY from the KOOL-AID stand! Turn your cup over and empty the contents, IMMEDIATELY!!

Anyone else want to give a highly educumacated guess?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    If OS X requires EFI to run then wouldn't that make it very difficult to run on a computer that has BIOS?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

If OS X requires EFI to run then wouldn't that make it very difficult to run on a computer that has BIOS?

Don't know. Vista will support EFI. Does anyone know if VISTA beta's already support this?

I also wonder how fast Mandrake, Red Hat and the rest will get loaded on Mac hardware?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

I suppose it shouldn't be much harder than tricking the OS into not communicating with the hardware copy protection chip.

That's how 10.4.3 got cracked.

I mean, OS X *did* run on BIOS hardware...so whatever Apple removed or whatever Apple added could logically be re-added or removed.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I mean, OS X *did* run on BIOS hardware...so whatever Apple removed or whatever Apple added could logically be re-added or removed.

Right. By Apple I suppose.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    XP-64 supports EFI. But Yonah is 32-bit. I *believe* Linux kernel supports EFI... as it runs in EFI only platforms (Itanium).

So theoretically, as soon as Apple ships a 64-bit x86 processor, you can have Windows on it (so long as it's the 64-bit edition).
  • Reply 8 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

XP-64 supports EFI. But Yonah is 32-bit.

That's exactly the problem. I am not saying it is impossible, but it should be particularly difficult to get it run.

Quote:

So theoretically, as soon as Apple ships a 64-bit x86 processor, you can have Windows on it (so long as it's the 64-bit edition).

Or Vista.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Eh, there are workarounds for these things. Intel themselves has tricks to fool Windows into using EFI in order to encourage its use.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Eh, there are workarounds for these things. Intel themselves has tricks to fool Windows into using EFI in order to encourage its use.

There's the ol' "emulate BIOS using EFI" trick...but I don't believe Apple's opted for that feature.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I do think it will happen eventually. Its like a childproof lock. Yah, it may have taken me a while to get them open when i was five but i got it (I only did it to see if i could figure it out.)

Anyway, in all seriousness, it do not think it will happen until apple starts making an intel OS X box. Right now, there is not reason why anybody should be buying the OS separately from a computer purchase until 10.5. When 10.5 comes along, it will probably happen sooner.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Follow-up:

Not more than two minutes after making my post, i moved onto http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=60219 and, if JLL is correct, than the disc already has intel OS X. Sorry. nevermind
  • Reply 13 of 22
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

I would expect the hackers to use a shim or a custom bootloader (like MOL or ExPostFacto).
  • Reply 14 of 22
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Follow-up:

Not more than two minutes after making my post, i moved onto http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=60219 and, if JLL is correct, than the disc already has intel OS X. Sorry. nevermind

The seeds for the Developer Transition Kit is - I don't know if they have "crippled" the install discs that comes with the Intel Macs.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    That is a posibility
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Heh, OS X on a Dell would be pretty cool, just because it would probably piss Mike Dell off. Because of course OS X would make a Dell into a pretty good computer.

If I could be guaranteed that I could run the latest version of OS X on a Dell tower for 4-6 years, then I'd buy a Dell. They're cheaper than Macs and Dell will likely use faster versions of Intel CPUs, like they do now in laptops.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Heh, OS X on a Dell would be pretty cool, just because it would probably piss Mike Dell off.

It most certainly would not. Dell as much as invited Apple to license OS X to them. Steve refused. Dell wants OS X.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

It most certainly would not. Dell as much as invited Apple to license OS X to them. Steve refused. Dell wants OS X.

Not that I don't believe you but... Source please?!

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Not that I don't believe you but... Source please?!

Dave

Michael Dell's request to license MacOS X was leaked a few weeks before Steve Jobs announced the switch to Intel processors. I am sure that you can Google the article.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Yah. I remember reading that article on Engadget.